Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to gently stop nursing almost 26 month old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:02 am
Hi all.....
Any ideas how to gently stop nursing almost 26 month old?

I don't want to do the booboo bandaid over nippel method...
Child also has a hard time going in for nap/bed without nursing first
My other children self weaned so I am at a loss.
Please advise with love, as this is very challenging for me as well as my child

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:41 am
I've stopped at 24 months. You explain to the child, "Now you are a big girl. You are 2!! 2 year olds don't nurse. Instead, we cuddle and read stories."

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:48 am
I would add, give some advance warning. "You are really big now. After next Shabbos, we won't nurse anymore. We will cuddle and read books instead." Repeat for a few days. Maybe buy a new bedtime book about Mommy love, like The Runaway Bunny, or the Jewish book Mommy and Me.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all.....
Any ideas how to gently stop nursing almost 26 month old?

I don't want to do the booboo bandaid over nippel method...
Child also has a hard time going in for nap/bed without nursing first
My other children self weaned so I am at a loss.
Please advise with love, as this is very challenging for me as well as my child

the gentlest way is to do it gradually. we did "don't offer, don't refuse". During the day try to avoid nursing with distraction, offering food etc., with your toddler happily being involved with other people and activities. If there are other people and exciting things happening now due to YT that could help. So for us, it wasn't so hard to limit and then stop nursing a 2 year old during the day without them noticing, but the bedtime was the last to go, but eventually that ended when they were ready. Super gentle BH. That is the healthiest by far for everyone, unless there is an unavoidable medical need that requires abrupt weaning. It sounds like you are a very sensitive, intuitive mother and you should keeping trusting your good maternal instincts that Hashem gave you Heart

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:04 pm
I completely agree with bottlebrush (interesting screen name for this topic Smile )
Advance notice (I used the second birthday and started telling them 2 weeks before) and every time you nurse you remind them that after that specific time/event they are too big to nurse and they can do cuddles and hugs and kisses etc. It works great they might be a little sad but they will expect it and understand

TzipporahN

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 12:45 pm
Do it lovingly, and gradually. (I stopped nursing one of my babies at 26 months and was shocked when I got engorged!)

I gently pulled her off, decreasing the nursing time gradually, and distracting her as much as possible.

Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics