Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos Mishaps
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:17 am
So I put up a whole cholent on Friday and added kishke and kugel to the crockpot. All Friday night it bubbled and sizzled and smelled amazing.

Shabbos morning, I was getting ready for the meal. At some point it occured to me that the cholent wasn't bubbling anymore. I touched the heating element and it was hot, but I wasnt sure if it was as hot as it should be.
A while later I checked it again and it seemed to be less hot. By now I started getting nervous. The top of the crockpot was cool to the touch. (My crockpot is a Westbend Slow cooker, so it's the type that has a pot that sits on top of a heating element.)

I finally realized that I wasn't imagining it. The crockpot wasn't working. I was very unhappy because my whole shabbos meal was in that pot. Then I remembered the halacha that you can "return" a pot to a flame if the conditions for chazara are met. Thankfully the pot was still warm and I was able to transfer the pot onto the blech.

Nevertheless, by the time we got up to the cholent, it was basically lukewarm and congealed. I was not feeling so happy because we had a guest but I was grateful that it was only one person. It could have happened on a week that we had many guests.

This crockpot is not that old...I would say about two years old. But it expired on Shabbos.

What are some Shabbos mishaps that you've had?

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:42 pm
All day Friday I had an uneasy feeling that I had forgotten to do something to prepare for Shabbos. I was working full-time outside the home and had to prepare everything Thursday night so that it would be ready to just plop on the blech Friday afternoon.

My sister called me up to invite us for Friday night dinner. I regretfully turned her down because everything was already on the blech and heating up.

Shortly before candle lighting, like literally five minutes, I uncovered the pots to check on the contents in case they needed more water or something. Imagine my shock when I saw that the chicken was completely raw! I finally figured out what it was that I had forgotten to do, namely,COOK the chicken! It was all prepared and seasoned and sauced but not cooked.

I called up my sister, told her what happened, and said we would most gratefully join them after all.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I put up a whole cholent on Friday and added kishke and kugel to the crockpot. All Friday night it bubbled and sizzled and smelled amazing.

Shabbos morning, I was getting ready for the meal. At some point it occured to me that the cholent wasn't bubbling anymore. I touched the heating element and it was hot, but I wasnt sure if it was as hot as it should be.
A while later I checked it again and it seemed to be less hot. By now I started getting nervous. The top of the crockpot was cool to the touch. (My crockpot is a Westbend Slow cooker, so it's the type that has a pot that sits on top of a heating element.)

I finally realized that I wasn't imagining it. The crockpot wasn't working. I was very unhappy because my whole shabbos meal was in that pot. Then I remembered the halacha that you can "return" a pot to a flame if the conditions for chazara are met. Thankfully the pot was still warm and I was able to transfer the pot onto the blech.

Nevertheless, by the time we got up to the cholent, it was basically lukewarm and congealed. I was not feeling so happy because we had a guest but I was grateful that it was only one person. It could have happened on a week that we had many guests.

This crockpot is not that old...I would say about two years old. But it expired on Shabbos.

What are some Shabbos mishaps that you've had?

Returning a pot to a flame- "chazara", means removing a pot from a covered flame for a minute and then putting it back onto that flame. Removing a pot from a flame which in your case was off (so it's not really a flame- it's a burner that's off) and putting it on a different flame that was on is not the same. I'm pretty sure this was not allowed. This is a question to ask your rav in case such a thing ever happens again. I wouldn't want anyone to read your post and think it's okay to do that.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:26 pm
Similar to your original post. 2 incidents involving the crock pot. The first was when it was plugged into an old outlet and the plug randomly fell out because it wasn’t secure.

Another time I had moved the dial to low and I must not have turned it all the way so it was stuck between the two settings and was basically off.

I’ve also forgotten to make a main dish for my DH who doesn’t eat Chulebt

Luckily all of these have happened a long time ago and I am in a better shabbos groove now

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:48 pm
My mother in law keeps cooked kneidlach in her freezer, in little bags. Once , a minute before shabbos she grabbed a bag of kneidlach from her freezer and dumped the contents into her chicken soup which was bubbling on the stove.
It was only later that they realized it was fish balls. Can't Believe It

Something similar happened to me, just not as bad. My husband and I were once invited to eat by a married friend of his. First time I was meeting the wife, and for some reason, the whole meal she was just talking about the importance of serving a traditional shabbos meal. She was lamenting that some people serve untraditional food and its so not shabbosdik. I was newly married at the time and nodded in agreement. A few weeks later, we reciprocated and invited them back. I remember making sure to cook all the traditional foods.

For soup, I pulled out two containers from the freezer. (It's funny to remember that I used to make one big pot that lasted me a few weeks since we were only two people. These days all my soup goes every week.)

Anyway, when it came time to serve the soup, I opened the pot and discovered that I had actually warmed up Zucchini soup! I know it's not a big deal but at the moment, I felt so embarrassed after her whole speech about non traditional food for shabbos. (These days I will occassionally serve soup that isn't chicken soup...) Wink

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:14 pm
We forgot to plug in the crockpot once.

That cholent went straight to the trash can.

I realized after lit and my husband had already left to shul.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Sep 28 2021, 3:04 pm
I once invited my husband's Rosh Yeshiva and his wife (who I'm actually really good friends with) for both meals. I didnt make anything fancier than usual, just a lot more than usual. On Friday night, I went on a walk with my baby. As I got back to our street, I met DH walking towards me, with a funny look on his face. He broke the news gently- the hotplate was not plugged in!!! I literally fell to the ground and burst out crying...
then I realized that it's shabbos so I put a smile on my face and went to greet our guests. luckily we have good friends living next to us that always have extra food, so we "borrowed" soup and meat and chulent. without telling a word to our guests.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 4:03 am
We were having guests and I made a huge tray of salmon as the main dish. They made such a big deal about how they love salmon. I pulled off the foil to serve the salmon Shabbos day and.... I was completely raw. I was sure I put it in the oven on Friday... I guess I just never turned the oven on!

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 7:25 am
Years ago I was trying to fit a lot of things on our narrow hotplate (we have gotten a larger one since). I guess the soup pot wasn't balanced right, because when I pushed something else, I somehow knocked the soup pot off the hotplate, and the soup spilled all over the counter and floor. Aagh!
We had no soup that Friday night. Baruch Hashem, neither I nor anyone else got boiling soup spilled on them, so it could have been worse.

tree of life

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 2:24 pm
This was not a food mishap
Something involving food
It was erev Pesach we got anew fridge I went out in the Morming and brought and then put in the case of cucumber vegetables etc
Lit candles went to take vegetables from the fridge all the cucumber were frozen I burst out crying we are chabad that's all we basically eat on Pesach plus we never brought in cholhamod
Bh we had a nonjewsh neighbor who I knocked on the door she came with me got another case of cucumber I paid this shop after chag he was so kind he probably thought this crazy lady crying away over cucumbers no ereuv in those days
So bh twenty minutes after I lit we had cucumbers and a lower fridge setting

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:06 pm
I took out some frozen chicken soup one friday and defrosted it in a pot. My cleaning lady decided it was leftover cooking water and threw it out. (normally there are carrots etc...)

My crock pot has come unplugged once or twice.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
Returning a pot to a flame- "chazara", means removing a pot from a covered flame for a minute and then putting it back onto that flame. Removing a pot from a flame which in your case was off (so it's not really a flame- it's a burner that's off) and putting it on a different flame that was on is not the same. I'm pretty sure this was not allowed. This is a question to ask your rav in case such a thing ever happens again. I wouldn't want anyone to read your post and think it's okay to do that.

The same thing happened to us one week as happened to op. My dh actually went out Friday night to a rov who is known for shabbos halacha to ask if we could transfer it, and he said we could transfer the cholent from the crocpot to a pot on the hotplate. I think the reasoning was that the actual cholent was still too hot to touch, even though the crocpot had stopped working.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 6:02 pm
About food mishaps, last shabbos I realised just as dh was leaving for shul that I had forgotten to boil eggs. This was a big deal because I didn't make cholent that week and was relying on the eggs. In the end I filled a pot with water from the urn, put in the raw eggs, and left it on the hotplate till I went to bed for the night. Next morning I bh had beautiful boiled eggs!
One yt night I put the soup on the flame then went out but forgot to move the soup off. We were a out for a while and by the time we came back we had no soup left Sad

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
About food mishaps, last shabbos I realised just as dh was leaving for shul that I had forgotten to boil eggs. This was a big deal because I didn't make cholent that week and was relying on the eggs. In the end I filled a pot with water from the urn, put in the raw eggs, and left it on the hotplate till I went to bed for the night. Next morning I bh had beautiful boiled eggs!
One yt night I put the soup on the flame then went out but forgot to move the soup off. We were a out for a while and by the time we came back we had no soup left Sad

Were the uncooked eggs placed on the hot plate on Shabbos? If so, isn't that assur?

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:06 pm
I've had so many crockpot mishaps (not turned on, turned too high, turned too low - both my forgetfulness and kids playing) that I turned the knob to low AND REMOVED THE KNOB. Now when my crockpot is plugged in, it's set properly. I only use my crockpot for cholent so it's perfect.

I also remove the knobs from the stove on Yom Tov because I've had too many times where I bang into the knobs with a pot and turn the flame lower or higher accidentally.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
I've had so many crockpot mishaps (not turned on, turned too high, turned too low - both my forgetfulness and kids playing) that I turned the knob to low AND REMOVED THE KNOB. Now when my crockpot is plugged in, it's set properly. I only use my crockpot for cholent so it's perfect.

I also remove the knobs from the stove on Yom Tov because I've had too many times where I bang into the knobs with a pot and turn the flame lower or higher accidentally.

I've done the same with my stove knobs for safety with kids.... And it's helpful for YT too Rolling Eyes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:14 pm
This happened when I was a kid. One Shabbos morning I wake up to hear my father ask my mother, "You didn't make cholent?" She said, "of course I did! its on the blech!"
I hear my father go back to the kitchen, come back and say, "There's no cholent."
My mother insisted that there was!
Turned out that the night before, she asked my brother to take the pot of soup to the fridge downstairs. He was busy playing kugelach, and just said okay. She asked him again later, and he said he would do it. My mother figured he will never do it, so she asked me to do it. I brought the pot down. Later, after my brother finished playing, he went to take the pot downstairs. He only saw one pot- the one on the blech- so he brought that down and put it in the fridge. We had no cholent that Shabbos.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:14 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
I've done the same with my stove knobs for safety with kids.... And it's helpful for YT too Rolling Eyes

My knobs are on the back of the stove, so I can't blame the kids!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
I once invited my husband's Rosh Yeshiva and his wife (who I'm actually really good friends with) for both meals. I didnt make anything fancier than usual, just a lot more than usual. On Friday night, I went on a walk with my baby. As I got back to our street, I met DH walking towards me, with a funny look on his face. He broke the news gently- the hotplate was not plugged in!!! I literally fell to the ground and burst out crying...
then I realized that it's shabbos so I put a smile on my face and went to greet our guests. luckily we have good friends living next to us that always have extra food, so we "borrowed" soup and meat and chulent. without telling a word to our guests.

\
OMG. I would have had a meltdown

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:29 pm
Years ago we used to use fish sauce with the challah.
Before shabbos my mother grabbed 2 containers and warmed them up together.
My BIL took the first spoonful of hot soup and let my mother know it was fish sauce and chicken broth mixed together Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note