Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can someone explain this to me?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:42 am
Yom tov got me thinking. My kids are young, so I did laundry. But when my daughter turns twelve she’s going to need 5 shabbos outfits? Four days yom tov and shabbos chol hamoed. Not including the three nights (fri/two first nights). No one can wear a dress/outfit the whole day and rewear it without it being gross…
I happen to have enough clothes since I’ve accumulated clothes (I’m not a kid/teen whose size keeps changing).
This is not about money- I don’t want my kids to expect/need/have 5 shabbos outfits per season!
What do you all do?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:44 am
No, you get a “robe” or a dress that you use as a “robe”
You change into it when you get back from shul/meal or wherever you go.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:44 am
I wash shirts etc for my 14 & 12 year old ds's. Just the things that they'll need over yt.

I don't know what others do.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:45 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:

And for boys?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:45 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:

My kids wear their clothes the whole day. At the meal, playing and running around… they can’t wear a robe for that

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:46 am
I learned that its better to buy more clothes then to do laundry
(Obviously buying before yom tov)
But I don’t want to encourage the 5 outfit thing

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I learned that its better to buy more clothes then to do laundry
(Obviously buying before yom tov)
But I don’t want to encourage the 5 outfit thing

By that age they don't make their suit that dirty, but they do have 5 days worth of white shirts, which they wear with the still clean pants and jacket.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:50 am
Pesach & sukkos are in between weather, so you you can use your summer, fall & winter clothes.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:51 am
Lots of shells, because that's the part that gets gross.

The older they are, the cleaner they should stay, especially in shul and when out visiting or taking walks. Changing into shabbos loungewear (robes, comfortable tops and long skirts) helps preserve the cleanliness further.

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yom tov got me thinking. My kids are young, so I did laundry. But when my daughter turns twelve she’s going to need 5 shabbos outfits? Four days yom tov and shabbos chol hamoed. Not including the three nights (fri/two first nights). No one can wear a dress/outfit the whole day and rewear it without it being gross…
I happen to have enough clothes since I’ve accumulated clothes (I’m not a kid/teen whose size keeps changing).
This is not about money- I don’t want my kids to expect/need/have 5 shabbos outfits per season!
What do you all do?

Grown children totally rewear clothes wthout them being gross. They don't get them as dirty anymore.

OTOH my dd wears casual things too if she feels like it and may dress them up with a necklace for yom tov.

Thirdly, if I wash anyway for younger kids, I can throw in other clothes too into a load.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:52 am
I buy nice shirts for shabbos and yt, it's too expensive for me to buy them 5 each.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:53 am
Fab4 wrote:
And for boys?

Boys who wear white shirts need at least 5 over such a yomtov, so I have some of the less-than-stark-white left over from the previous season and buy a few new ones for yomtov. Repeat for Pesach season.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:56 am
So your girls change into robes every day after the meal? Even if they have friends or go out with friends the whole day?
And hours of robe wearing for five days doesn’t make them smell?

As for shells- many current styles don’t have.

I don’t rewear things, I would feel gross. Why would my teenager be any different?

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:59 am
youngishbear wrote:
Boys who wear white shirts need at least 5 over such a yomtov, so I have some of the less-than-stark-white left over from the previous season and buy a few new ones for yomtov. Repeat for Pesach season.

I could do that I guess

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So your girls change into robes every day after the meal? Even if they have friends or go out with friends the whole day?

As for shells- many current styles don’t have.

I don’t rewear things, I would feel gross. Why would my teenager be any different?

Because they are their own person?

If not earlier then now is the time to realize that you cannot impose your perceptions on your kids.
If it is still clean and not smelly, it is probably not gross.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:11 am
imaima wrote:
Because they are their own person?

If not earlier then now is the time to realize that you cannot impose your perceptions on your kids.
If it is still clean and not smelly, it is probably not gross.

I wasn’t meaning it like that. In my experience, people who wear something for hours on end cannot usually wear it again for hours on end unless they naturally don’t really sweat.
If my kids sweat/smell I would consider it unhygienic.

Serious question - how do people wear clothes from 9am until 10 pm and then wear it again? Smell wise.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A few hours of wearing a robe, or any other garment, should not make it smell. Hang it up to air out overnight and there should not be any problem rewearing it a few times.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:12 am
Just to clarify- wearing something for a night meal is different. I’m talking about the whole day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:13 am
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
A few hours of wearing a robe, or any other garment, should not make it smell. Hang it up to air out overnight and there should not be any problem rewearing it a few times.

So you’re saying most people change into something immediately after the meal?
Even if they’re hanging out with friends or socializing etc?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:13 am
They plan ahead. They are super careful. For the night seudas they wear a robe. It may be last year’s and a little small. My 13yo has 3 dresses. She has two that are still wearable now.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics