Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do your kids wear robes?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Do you/your kids/most people wear shabbos robes?
Yes- tri state  
 60%  [ 154 ]
Yes- not tri state  
 15%  [ 39 ]
No  
 18%  [ 48 ]
Some do but not most  
 4%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 253

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:31 am
Another thread got me thinking…
It’s not a big thing where I live so I’m curious.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:54 am
Not in my community, but I suspect the differences are more significant by hashkafa than geography.\

Your poll specifies Tri-State area: That includes widely-differing areas: Monsey, Kiryas Yoel, Teaneck, Flatbush, etc.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:03 am
We are DL and live in Israel. No one wears shabbos robes.

moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:26 am
Another "No" vote from DL in Israel. 😁

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:28 am
Yes. Chassidish. Love it! Girls look like little princesses. It’s usually practical and washable! Hope they never go out of style.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Yes. Chassidish. Love it! Girls look like little princesses. It’s usually practical and washable! Hope they never go out of style.

I want to ask this in a way that won't be construed as bashing. Please don't be offended. I come from a very different world.

Why don't you buy them real clothing that's practical and washable instead of having them wear loungewear in public?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:34 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
I want to ask this in a way that won't be construed as bashing. Please don't be offended. I come from a very different world.

Why don't you buy them real clothing that's practical and washable instead of having them wear loungewear in public?

We don’t consider 90$ beautiful maxi dresses loungewear even though it’s washable. It’s special for Shabbos and Yom tov and just looks beautiful. Besides it’s something they wear at home or while playing with friends In the neighborhood. They also have regular clothing for shul and simchos.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:58 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
We don’t consider 90$ beautiful maxi dresses loungewear even though it’s washable. It’s special for Shabbos and Yom tov and just looks beautiful. Besides it’s something they wear at home or while playing with friends In the neighborhood. They also have regular clothing for shul and simchos.

So it's really a dress, and not a robe? Or is it a robe that you've declared regular clothing?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:01 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
So it's really a dress, and not a robe? Or is it a robe that you've declared regular clothing?

It’s a robe. We don’t wear it to shul or simchos. But it doesn’t look like loungewear, it looks beautiful.
Here are some options
https://thelingerieshopny.com/......html

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:02 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

I am also confused. I thought it was something you just wear around the house. But if they play outside while wearing it, is it just a soft long dress?

Quote:
We don’t consider 90$ beautiful maxi dresses loungewear even though it’s washable.

All my kids' clothing is washable.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:19 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

They are made by local Jewish companies/ stores specifically for Shabbos & this purpose. They are pricey, because of the small exclusive market but they have designers design according to fashion trends. They can even be more expensive than a shabbos dress that you would find in a dept store.
They are usually made of comfortable fabric and ez care.
Then you also have more fancy ones like for kallahs getting married & then going to in laws for shabbos or for kimpeturins to wear by vachnacht/kiddush at home.
The fancy shabbos dresses are then worn to shul for the kids when they go to hakafos, shofar, etc. Then when they come home to eat the meal they change into their robes so if child spills grape juice onto a black velour robe it's not that bad then if it would spill on a white lace dress or pink wool which would need to be dry cleaned and stains wouldn't come out.
There are people that do use shabbos dresses for the girls all shabbos.
For winter, the long ones are cozy for home. For summer, the long ones are not that practical, for little girls when they jump outside or ride their trikes. So some do get cheap dresses for outside.

I was in Upstate NY for Rosh Hashanah. I saw all the little girls jumping on the street with white cotton dresses all day, while the men were in shul. I could not get it, because if it gets muddy, the stains don't come out. They didn't change after shofar. They were not a practical dark color.
I think they do it, because long robes aren't really allowed/encouraged/advocated for, to be worn outside, by their community.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:20 am
DrMom wrote:
All my kids' clothing is washable.

Same. And my DD's dresses don't cost anywhere near $90.
You can achieve the same look and purpose with a dressy cotton dress from any store.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:28 am
Dr mom, the poster before you linked to one of the the stores company who produces the hi end robes

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:30 am
essie14 wrote:
You can achieve the same look and purpose with a dressy cotton dress from any store.

The dresses I buy are also a third the price of the robes. We use the robes 90% of the time. Dresses only occasionally.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:32 am
essie14 wrote:

True
Because they are so pricey, I sometimes buy a cheap practical dress for my little girl or only buy the robes when discounted

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:34 am
dankbar wrote:
True
Because they are so pricey, I sometimes buy a cheap practical dress for my little girl or only buy the robes when discounted

I often buy last year’s robes for half price if I get lucky and find.
My point was that I don’t consider a $90 robe (original price) loungewear.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:42 am
I bought them once for my girls when they were younger. They never really wore them. I have one I use very rarely, maybe when staying by inlaws or after my shabbos shower before getting dressed properly.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:48 am
I have 2 shabbos robes for Friday night. They're long so I don't need stockings and they're easy care so I can fall asleep in them. They're also easy to pull on if a kid needs me early in the morning and then I wear it until I'm ready to leave the house. It always gets dirty, but this way my shabbos clothes are clean at least until I leave. Right now my kids are young enough that they just have nicer pajamas for shabbos that they come to the table in, but once they're too big to come to the table in PJs, I'll buy then nice maxi dresses that they can come to the table in and are comfortable enough to fall asleep in.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:48 am
A shabbos robe would be considered a dress in many communities. It's only considered a robe because of the name. The styles change each season.

Here are some other winter robes I'm a different style than the link posted by the other poster.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS....._link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS....._link

Here are links to summer ones that would be worn with a shell from a previous imamother thread. There is discussion there how robe just means comfy shabbos dress that's washable in some communities.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFZtsVL_yV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL.....8pvzf

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv....._link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu....._link

moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:56 am
essie14 wrote:

So true. I don't know anyone who spends $90 on a child's outfit.

I've never really understood the point of Shabbat robes, but I assumed they were for moms with a lot of kids who just wanted something loose and comfortable to wear after an exhausting day of preparing for Shabbat. OK, I can sort of see that, though I do think it's odd for women to go out and about, visiting neighbors, etc., wearing a robe.

But until this thread I didn't realize that little girls wear these robes, too. That sounds weird, not to mention uncomfortable when playing games that require running and jumping. Why can't they just wear regular clothes?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics