Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Cancelling appointment

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:12 am
Not really sure where to put this but wondering what people think of this. I’ve been going to PT 1x/2x week for the past couple of months and a couple times they last minute called me like the day of or day before saying they had to cancel the appointment. Now for whatever reason I scheduled an appointment for today at 5 pm. The appointments are over an hour long and not super close to home. No way I could do it on erev YT. I realized this motzai shabbos but the office was closed Sunday so I was only able to call this morning to cancel. (No online system). They have a policy that same day cancellations they charge you $50. I asked them if they could lower the fee or waive it and they said they can’t but I could try talking to the owner about it at my next appointment. The owner is one of the PT’s I see and seems to really like me. Is it unfair of me to ask her to waive the fee? I feel like they’ve cancelled on me with no “consequence” so they should afford me that same “graciousness” though I realize it’s not the same. Do I have a right to ask? Do you think they should waive it?

ETa-I’m normally very organized and check my calendar well before scheduling appointments. Not sure how this happened! But I do realize it’s my fault.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:14 am
I think you can ask. It's your first time and extenuating circumstances.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:42 am
It’s a very typical policy and $50 is not high at all for a cancellation. Personally I wouldn’t fight with them , especially if you are continuing to use their services. It can get awkward to get petty over money.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 11:42 am
Doesn't hurt to ask. You can also ask what to do next time if it's over a weekend or holiday and you need to cancel.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 12:46 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
It’s a very typical policy and $50 is not high at all for a cancellation. Personally I wouldn’t fight with them , especially if you are continuing to use their services. It can get awkward to get petty over money.

Right I don’t think I would keep arguing it but I would just ask politely is there any way they can waive it as a one time curtesy or bring the price down. It’s so annoying to have to pay $50 for nothing.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 1:29 pm
I would ask.
Moat business owners would extend that courtesy.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:12 pm
Definitely ask. You have nothing to lose. It's annoying how they have this double standard of being able to cancel last-minute even if you had to rearrange your schedule to attend but they charge even you cancel. I understand the policy but it doesn't seem fair!!

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:34 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Doesn't hurt to ask. You can also ask what to do next time if it's over a weekend or holiday and you need to cancel.

This ask. And ask the policy for weekend/holiday cancelations. But accept whatever they say graciously even if they can't make any exceptions.

If you are nice and polite, they will be more willing to work with you than if you are demanding and entitled.

imamommy5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:02 pm
pay the 50 dollars but next time they cancel on you ask for 50 dollars it goes both ways

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 3:05 pm
I don’t think there’s any harm in asking, they will either make an exception or not. Also in the future I suggest leaving a voicemail and/or sending an email to cancel even when they’re closed, this way they can get the message right when they open and there’s concrete proof you canceled in advance, not same day

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I don’t think there’s any harm in asking, they will either make an exception or not. Also in the future I suggest leaving a voicemail and/or sending an email to cancel even when they’re closed, this way they can get the message right when they open and there’s concrete proof you canceled in advance, not same day

They don’t have an email or voicemail otherwise I would’ve done that

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:20 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
pay the 50 dollars but next time they cancel on you ask for 50 dollars it goes both ways

Lol I wish I could do that but it might not happen again but they did cancel twice on me in the past

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:21 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Definitely ask. You have nothing to lose. It's annoying how they have this double standard of being able to cancel last-minute even if you had to rearrange your schedule to attend but they charge even you cancel. I understand the policy but it doesn't seem fair!!

Right? That’s what really gets me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:24 pm
singleagain wrote:
This ask. And ask the policy for weekend/holiday cancelations. But accept whatever they say graciously even if they can't make any exceptions.

If you are nice and polite, they will be more willing to work with you than if you are demanding and entitled.

Yeah I definitely don’t plan to be demanding. The owner is very sweet and seems to really like me. That’s what makes it somewhat awkward for me to ask but maybe it’s not a big deal to her? Also I’m going for pelvic floor PT and I feel it’s awkward to ask about money stuff and try then have her give me an internal massage 😒

WhatFor

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don’t have an email or voicemail otherwise I would’ve done that

This just sounds unprofessional. Most people in the medical field need to continuously take courses to keep up with the latest scientific discoveries. Just my personal opinion but for some reason, someone not having a voicemail or email address (which is the bare minimum for an office) would make me question how in touch they are with the latest science and how serious they are about their professional growth. I'm not saying not to keep going if you're seeing results, but just sharing my opinion.

imamommy5

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:46 pm
WhatFor wrote:
This just sounds unprofessional. Most people in the medical field need to continuously take courses to keep up with the latest scientific discoveries. Just my personal opinion but for some reason, someone not having a voicemail or email address (which is the bare minimum for an office) would make me question how in touch they are with the latest science and how serious they are about their professional growth. I'm not saying not to keep going if you're seeing results, but just sharing my opinion.

I agree theres a dentist I know of who still takes x rays the old fashioned way and not through a computer I never understood why people go there.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:54 pm
imamommy5 wrote:
I agree theres a dentist I know of who still takes x rays the old fashioned way and not through a computer I never understood why people go there.

Thinking about it, it's not just about keeping up with the latest science but also something about it that gives the impression that the professional can be a bit of a schlepper (whether or not they are). She also cancelled last second a few times (unprofessional) but the admin doesn't have the authority to waive the fee, which the admin should really sort as they know the pt cancelled multiple times.

I had a similar scenario where a professional cancelled on me a couple of times and when one of my kids had an urgent thing and I had to cancel a couple of hours before he never even brought up charging the cancellation fee. It was a given. If someone wants to be super medakdek it has to go both ways. If they're flexi and unpredictable they need to give that courtesy too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 5:54 pm
Oh whoops I just double checked and they do have an email. It’s supposed to be used for if you want to become a new patient and hear more about it so that email is info@….. but I guess I could’ve emailed there? When I was on the phone with them on Monday and saying that I realized over the weekend I needed to cancel they said yeah well you would’ve had to cancel by Friday since were closed Saturday and Sunday and they didn’t say anything about email 🤷‍♀️ I do know that they don’t have VM because I tried calling them early Monday am before they opened and there was no option for VM.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette