Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Toy Organization Help Ideas!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:39 pm
I'm looking for ideas of how to organize our toys.
We don't have a playroom.
We live in a Brooklyn basement apartment, so we need to maximize the space and not make the area look too cluttered.
Please post links for ideas, tia

nicole81

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 10:52 pm
I use shelving units and bins from the Ikea trofast collection.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:15 pm
My niece has a unit of cubbies into which she put fabric bins. Each kind of toy goes in a bin and the bin goes in the cube. This type of storage cube unit is available from many vendors.

IMHO most families have way too many toys and that’s why they’re so hard to organize. If you’re unwilling to get rid of what you have, find an inaccessible place to stash 90% of your playthings; leave 10% out to be used for a few weeks. Every month to six weeks or whatever works for you, put away the toys your kids were using and bring out a different batch. At least you won’t have to deal with ALL the toys all the time.

Minimize toys with multiple pieces. How many different building-type toys does a kid need? Lego AND Magnatiles AND traditional building blocks AND pop-em beads? An artist set with 152 crayons? Madness! And utterly unnecessary.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 4:53 am
We used to have the ikea trofast but I hated how the kids used to pull out all the drawers and I had all the toys everywhere. That's also why I didn't go with the cube storage style.
I went for the ikea pax-it's officially a wardrobe but it's really versatile. I went for the largest possible size, but you can work out how much you need. You can get drawers or shelves. I went for shelves and put all the toys in boxes but it isn't so practical for when you want to tidy away a few random toys. Also the boxes take up a lot of space with wasted space around. I'm considering buying the drawers for it to make less wasted space.
I also think a cupboard with doors looks neater as it doesn't intrude onto your living space whilst the trofast and cube stick out more. And most importantly I lock the toy cupboard so they can't play with more than one toy at a time. That's the only way to survive with little kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics