Home

Eat right and feel right
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 11:43 pm
I just want to eat right so I can feel right.
I don’t want to obsess over diets. I want to feel good and not tired and irritable.

How do I get there?

What “diets” “way of eating” help you feel good inside?
Back to top

amother




NeonPink
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:24 am
Bump me too
Back to top

Sima1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:27 am
Intuitive eating! I was on a diet roller coaster for years and years. For the past 5 years, I’ve been following rachel Goodman on her podcasts and blogs and did her course. Absolute life changer! I have maintained weight through 3 babies and stay at my happy weight range on a continuous basis! Highly highly recommend! She gives loads of free and very valuable content through her emails and free webinars and podcasts!

She does exactly what you are describing!

Podcast: more than what you eat rachel Goodman
Website: https://rachelgoodnutrition.com/


I’m happy to answer any questions about this! I feel like it’s a well kept secret that’s gotta get out there for all those struggling!
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:31 am
very low carb/keto/southbeach helped me 10 yrs ago but I forgot how to start over... it helped me feel great and if I could figure out how I would do it again!
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:45 am
Low carb/nsng for over four years. My life is amazing and I’m profoundly grateful that my life had changed in this way.
Back to top

amother




Dill
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:54 am
I know it sounds crazy but not eating too many calories really helps me feel better.
when I eat a huge YT meal I feel heavy and sluggish...I know when I eat around 1200 calories (included in those calories is a fruit, some vegetables, some protein, healthy carb and maybe a low cal treat like an ices or an oatmeal cookie plus sugar free iced coffee)...then I just feel sooo much better, I have more energy, I don't crash...
Back to top

amother




Dill
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 12:55 am
just wanted to add intuitive eating does not work for me!!
I switch to intuitive eating over YT- I try to eat only foods that really talk to me, in the amounts that I want at the time...works for a week or two but I feel so sluggish..
and I know someone who gained 30 pounds doing intuitive eating!!
Back to top

Sima1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 1:04 am
Intuitive eating is a journey that’s a long term fix for inner peace and satisfaction with life around food… there’s many angles to it and it takes time to own it… it’s an investment for life… not a quick fix to try for a few weeks at all… it’s for the person who has dieted a bunch of times… struggled for a long time and sees that diets don’t work long term… I’ve had to come to terms that my body’s ideal weight that it’s ‘happy’ at is 10 lb more than I would’ve liked, but it’s clear to me that the 10 lb less goal is unattainable for long term success… my life is worth more than fighting for those 10 pounds like I used to…
Back to top

amother




Hyssop
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 1:37 am
Sima1 wrote:
Intuitive eating is a journey that’s a long term fix for inner peace and satisfaction with life around food… there’s many angles to it and it takes time to own it… it’s an investment for life… not a quick fix to try for a few weeks at all… it’s for the person who has dieted a bunch of times… struggled for a long time and sees that diets don’t work long term… I’ve had to come to terms that my body’s ideal weight that it’s ‘happy’ at is 10 lb more than I would’ve liked, but it’s clear to me that the 10 lb less goal is unattainable for long term success… my life is worth more than fighting for those 10 pounds like I used to…


How overweight were you before? Not trying to pry, but does intuitive eating "work" if you're very heavy? Or is it only for those recovering from eating disorders?
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 9:48 am
It has to be something sustainable. I'm lucky that I don't need to avoid any specific foods (e.g. gluten free, diabetes, etc.). I was very inspired by a book called VB6 by Mark Bittman. I try not to eat animal protein besides my milk in cereal in coffee till later in the day. That means legumes, soy, nuts mid day. Lots of veg and fruit. Whole grains vs. white. Dramatically reduced added white and brown sugars (honey ok).

What changes can you make that you will be able to maintain? Every little bit helps.
Back to top

amother




Amaryllis
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
How overweight were you before? Not trying to pry, but does intuitive eating "work" if you're very heavy? Or is it only for those recovering from eating disorders?


How do you define work?
It doesn't work, it just helps you make peace with food and your size.
I gained 50 lbs doing intuitive eating, it was after losing a bunch of weight so maybe that factors in but when I tried discussing it with IE specialists the response was basically that my body is just naturally large and I need to embrace it.
Eventually I used some of the tools I learned in IE and started eating healthy and lost the weight. I gained it back after having a baby and now I'm back in my large (obese) body and all screwed up in my head. I hear all the IE talks, see dieting never works long term, look how upset u are with your size and the lengths you want to go to become smaller etc.
Learning to eat intuitive amounts (following your own hunger cues) is GOLD but when I don't actively focus on healthy eating and exercise my weight goes up. Yes IE police that is my screwed up metabolism from years of dieting but I refuse to just let my body go untiI have heart disease and can't walk up the stairs in my house at 300 lbs.
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:45 am
I've been on the Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy for almost a year now. It's been a complete life changer for me. I'm down over 65 pounds and feel like a different person.
This is after years of unsuccessful dieting...
Back to top

ces




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 11:46 am
I have tracked calories and macros using the LoseIt app (there are many other food tracking apps that do the same). It took some trial and error, but once I found a daily menu of food that I enjoy, fits my calorie and macros budget, and keeps me full, I basically stuck to that with minimal variation. I'm ok eating the same breakfast and lunch pretty much every day, and when I stick to it I feel great. I no longer track daily since I know that what I'm eating pretty much falls within my goal range.

I lost baby weight with this, then an additional 25 pounds I had tried unsuccessfully to lose for years, and BH have kept it off for over a year. I also work out regularly, I do it because I enjoy it and it gives me energy but it also helps with maintenance.
Back to top

amother




Aconite
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 11:58 am
Does intuitive eating work? I’m about 10-20 lbs overweight. All of my adult life I’ve been trying to lose weight.... I tried every diet out there... keto diet I found myself nauseous from the high fat I was consuming t and I constantly craved carbs. The fast metabolism diet was so bland I couldn’t stand it. Weight watchers and the other calorie diets gave me 1200 calories and I was famished and irritable. I saw 4 nutritionists who gave me “non restrictive plans”, but I felt restricted on them and binged, and then felt so guilty. I hated my body, I hated myself. I thought something was wrong with me. I was constantly I. The diet binge cycle. Eating all my forbidden foods before starting a new diet, and feeling gross...
intuitive eating was a lifesaver for me. It taught me how to listen to my Hunger fullness cues, and I realized I was always overeating. I learned how to cope with my emotions without food. I realized that I feel better and more energized when I eat non processed Whole Foods. I started exercising in a way that I enjoyed and learned to love it. Till now I exercised so I could get another 200 calories or “earn” my food. I worked with a therapist to heal my body image and accept my overweight body as is. I realized how strong and amazing my body is. I am now at peace with food, I don’t binge or restrict, or obsess... I’m not critical of myself. I actually gained about 10 lbs, but lost 5 when I went off birth control. I trust my body, it knows what it needs to do, and what foods it needs to feel good and nourished.
So does intuitive eating “work” if you want to lose weight it’s not a diet... if you want to make peace with food and give up dieting yet feel good in your body and about your body it’s the way to go.
It focuses on healthy behaviors rather than weight. Weight has many factors involved especially genetics. If you are supposed to be a certain weight you will struggle your entire life to get to that weight. And to maintain you have to severely restrict your needs. I couldn’t live my life like that. It wasn’t good for my emotional and mental as well as physical well being.
I must add that it was actually one of the hardest things for me to do. It took me nearly two years to get to a place of trust and acceptance, and complete food peace. It was so much easier to start a diet and eat the way I was used to.... but whenever I did that, I messed up my cues and started eating emotionally and overeating and not feeling good in my body.
Back to top

amother




Amaryllis
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 1:11 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Does intuitive eating work? I’m about 10-20 lbs overweight. All of my adult life I’ve been trying to lose weight.... I tried every diet out there... keto diet I found myself nauseous from the high fat I was consuming t and I constantly craved carbs. The fast metabolism diet was so bland I couldn’t stand it. Weight watchers and the other calorie diets gave me 1200 calories and I was famished and irritable. I saw 4 nutritionists who gave me “non restrictive plans”, but I felt restricted on them and binged, and then felt so guilty. I hated my body, I hated myself. I thought something was wrong with me. I was constantly I. The diet binge cycle. Eating all my forbidden foods before starting a new diet, and feeling gross...
intuitive eating was a lifesaver for me. It taught me how to listen to my Hunger fullness cues, and I realized I was always overeating. I learned how to cope with my emotions without food. I realized that I feel better and more energized when I eat non processed Whole Foods. I started exercising in a way that I enjoyed and learned to love it. Till now I exercised so I could get another 200 calories or “earn” my food. I worked with a therapist to heal my body image and accept my overweight body as is. I realized how strong and amazing my body is. I am now at peace with food, I don’t binge or restrict, or obsess... I’m not critical of myself. I actually gained about 10 lbs, but lost 5 when I went off birth control. I trust my body, it knows what it needs to do, and what foods it needs to feel good and nourished.
So does intuitive eating “work” if you want to lose weight it’s not a diet... if you want to make peace with food and give up dieting yet feel good in your body and about your body it’s the way to go.
It focuses on healthy behaviors rather than weight. Weight has many factors involved especially genetics. If you are supposed to be a certain weight you will struggle your entire life to get to that weight. And to maintain you have to severely restrict your needs. I couldn’t live my life like that. It wasn’t good for my emotional and mental as well as physical well being.
I must add that it was actually one of the hardest things for me to do. It took me nearly two years to get to a place of trust and acceptance, and complete food peace. It was so much easier to start a diet and eat the way I was used to.... but whenever I did that, I messed up my cues and started eating emotionally and overeating and not feeling good in my body.


I tried it for 2 years. I am 70 lbs overweight and I was just continuing to gain. If I was 10 lbs overweight I would do IE. I loved the psychological benefits of it. But I wasn't ok being obese to the point of health issues and physical discomfort.
Back to top

amother




Hyssop
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:23 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Does intuitive eating work? I’m about 10-20 lbs overweight. All of my adult life I’ve been trying to lose weight.... I tried every diet out there... keto diet I found myself nauseous from the high fat I was consuming t and I constantly craved carbs. The fast metabolism diet was so bland I couldn’t stand it. Weight watchers and the other calorie diets gave me 1200 calories and I was famished and irritable. I saw 4 nutritionists who gave me “non restrictive plans”, but I felt restricted on them and binged, and then felt so guilty. I hated my body, I hated myself. I thought something was wrong with me. I was constantly I. The diet binge cycle. Eating all my forbidden foods before starting a new diet, and feeling gross...
intuitive eating was a lifesaver for me. It taught me how to listen to my Hunger fullness cues, and I realized I was always overeating. I learned how to cope with my emotions without food. I realized that I feel better and more energized when I eat non processed Whole Foods. I started exercising in a way that I enjoyed and learned to love it. Till now I exercised so I could get another 200 calories or “earn” my food. I worked with a therapist to heal my body image and accept my overweight body as is. I realized how strong and amazing my body is. I am now at peace with food, I don’t binge or restrict, or obsess... I’m not critical of myself. I actually gained about 10 lbs, but lost 5 when I went off birth control. I trust my body, it knows what it needs to do, and what foods it needs to feel good and nourished.
So does intuitive eating “work” if you want to lose weight it’s not a diet... if you want to make peace with food and give up dieting yet feel good in your body and about your body it’s the way to go.
It focuses on healthy behaviors rather than weight. Weight has many factors involved especially genetics. If you are supposed to be a certain weight you will struggle your entire life to get to that weight. And to maintain you have to severely restrict your needs. I couldn’t live my life like that. It wasn’t good for my emotional and mental as well as physical well being.
I must add that it was actually one of the hardest things for me to do. It took me nearly two years to get to a place of trust and acceptance, and complete food peace. It was so much easier to start a diet and eat the way I was used to.... but whenever I did that, I messed up my cues and started eating emotionally and overeating and not feeling good in my body.


Can you share name and location of the counselor that helped you with IE?
Back to top

amother




Hawthorn
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:42 pm
IE works well for metabolically healthy people.
Back to top

amother




Aconite
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:45 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Can you share name and location of the counselor that helped you with IE?

I took Rachel Goodman’s online course. But I felt like I needed personal help for certain issues I was struggling with. So I found gila Glassberg, she took my insurance. She was amazing and helped me get over the obstacles that were keeping me from truly eating intuitively.
They are both great intuitive eating dieticians.
Back to top

amother




Aconite
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
IE works well for metabolically healthy people.

But people with health issues can do intuitive eating and get healthy. Maybe they won’t be skinny, but they can definitely manage issues with intuitive eating.
It takes the focus off weight and emphasizes on health.
Back to top

amother




Hawthorn
 

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 3:52 pm
Most weight loss diets (and the diet culture/mindset) are unhealthy for everyone. IE is definitely better than self torture. But it won't fix most metabolic health issues for the same reason it won't fix a broken leg.
ETA: That is not to say that IE is bad for all people with metabolic conditions. It is just not the whole solution. People who need to follow special diets for medical reasons can still follow IE principles within their diets, much like people with food allergies can still do IE provided they continue to avoid the foods they are allergic to.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Who wants to eat healthy with me?
by amother
11 Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:06 am View last post
Israheat Hotplate, new model , whats the right setting?
by amother
0 Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:34 pm View last post
When you so laser on hemangioma do you see change right away
by amother
4 Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:40 pm View last post
[ Poll ] Do you feel safe walking home from seder? Esp. in NMB, FL?
by medola
12 Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:29 pm View last post
Sleepaway camp for BY girls with out of town feel
by amother
9 Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:29 am View last post