Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Lab created diamond
1  2  Next

ludicrous

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 9:07 pm
anyone looked into lab created diamonds? are they nice?
I would love a bigger diamond in my engagement ring but a real diamond would cost a fortune

chanee

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:33 pm
following

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:39 pm
I would definitely go for it! Anyone who wanted to check if your diamond was real would need a jeweler's loupe. Historically, Jewish women collected fine jewelry because it was easily convertible to cash and easily hidden -- I've personally met two Jewish women who pried their gemstones out of the settings and swallowed them in order to have a nest egg after being ejected from Egypt and Syria.

But if you aren't interested in using your engagement ring as an insurance policy in that manner, then a lab-created diamond is definitely the way to go.

ludicrous

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:57 pm
anyone recommend a place to get one?

peekaboo

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:57 pm
My husband works with diamond jewelry, he claims lab grown diamonds look and test the same as regular diamonds. He definitely recommends buying them since they're basically the same thing at a fraction of the price. Both types of diamonds have different levels of clarity and color which makes them less/more expensive.

ludicrous

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 9:00 pm
peekaboo wrote:
My husband works with diamond jewelry, he claims lab grown diamonds look and test the same as regular diamonds. He definitely recommends buying them since they're basically the same thing at a fraction of the price. Both types of diamonds have different levels of clarity and color which makes them less/more expensive.

would he know of a reliable person who sells them?
in brooklyn ny or israel?

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 1:02 am
I wouldn’t get a lab engagement ring because of the no resale value, but I did get a beautiful eternity band at less then half the price $3k instead of 7k) and no one is the wiser.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 5:46 am
Also looking for a good place to shop for lab grown. Any recommendations in brooklyn?

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 6:19 am
I replaced my original set with a lab grown 2.5ct diamond and matching eternity band done in platinum. Cost 3k and was done by a jeweler in Canada that I found through etsy. I LOVE my set. No one can tell it isn't real because we aren't poor but I definitely am frugal enough not to spend for the cost of a real set. I think the key to lab grown is not to be excessive. If you live in a rental, are on food stamps, etc. don't buy a 3ct, very elaborate ring set. Then it's clearly off. Buy a diamond that reflects your life. Just my two cents. Good luck!

wifenmother

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:02 am
I wonder about this. Because it's lab grown and stores selling lab grown diamonds are popping up all over, won't the resale value decrease? If I buy a real diamond, then even if it doesn't increase in value the value is there if and when I ever contemplate a resale. But with lab grown becoming more and more popular, chances are that the $3k I pay today will only have a $1,500 resale value in 10 years?

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:10 am
wifenmother wrote:
I wonder about this. Because it's lab grown and stores selling lab grown diamonds are popping up all over, won't the resale value decrease? If I buy a real diamond, then even if it doesn't increase in value the value is there if and when I ever contemplate a resale. But with lab grown becoming more and more popular, chances are that the $3k I pay today will only have a $1,500 resale value in 10 years?

Lab grown does not have any resale value as far as I know .

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:11 am
I got engaged 1/2 year ago - got a lab grown…love it.
In regards to resale value - no interest in reselling it plus actual diamonds don’t really have such a great resale value either(the second you walk out of the store there is at least a ~30% reduction)

We got it from brilliant earth

ludicrous

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:36 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
I got engaged 1/2 year ago - got a lab grown…love it.
In regards to resale value - no interest in reselling it plus actual diamonds don’t really have such a great resale value either

We got it from brilliant earth

does the diamond look real or fake?

wifenmother

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:48 am
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
Lab grown does not have any resale value as far as I know .

So then is it really worth it to buy lab grown?

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:55 am
ludicrous wrote:

Completely real - also they are formed through the same chemical process - just in a lab as opposed to in the ground

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 7:58 am
Fox wrote:
I would definitely go for it! Anyone who wanted to check if your diamond was real would need a jeweler's loupe. Historically, Jewish women collected fine jewelry because it was easily convertible to cash and easily hidden -- I've personally met two Jewish women who pried their gemstones out of the settings and swallowed them in order to have a nest egg after being ejected from Egypt and Syria.

But if you aren't interested in using your engagement ring as an insurance policy in that manner, then a lab-created diamond is definitely the way to go.

Not even with a regular loupe it needs a specific very expensive microscope! (I work in diamonds Smile )

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Also looking for a good place to shop for lab grown. Any recommendations in brooklyn?

I was very happy with Perlow.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
I was very happy with Perlow.

They are relatives of mine and I can attest that they have been in diamonds for generations. If you Google them use the name Monderer Perlow and you will get their information.

(No I don't make commission Smile I'm not that closely related! But it's nice to see my family name being recommended!)

amother
Melon

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 8:34 am
ludicrous wrote:

Lab growns are 'real' diamonds. They have gone through the exact same chemical process as what we call 'regular' diamonds. The only difference is where that process has happened - in the ground or in the lab.

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
They are relatives of mine and I can attest that they have been in diamonds for generations. If you Google them use the name Monderer Perlow and you will get their information.

(No I don't make commission Smile I'm not that closely related! But it's nice to see my family name being recommended!)

Loving how your imamother name is appro
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics