Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Esrog Jam with honey

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:57 am
Anyone here have any recipe for Esrog jam using honey instead of sugar (for SCD) ?

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 9:18 am
If you are in the states, please be aware before you cook with an esrog, they are not imported into this country as food, they are imported as a ritual item. They do not pass any food standards in this country.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:02 am
watergirl wrote:
If you are in the states, please be aware before you cook with an esrog, they are not imported into this country as food, they are imported as a ritual item. They do not pass any food standards in this country.
What difference would it make ?

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Pesticides and toxins.
How do you think they look so perfect and blemish/bug free?

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Google this topic. Esrogim are a very fragile fruit and it takes a lot of chemicals to achieve the desired outcome. They are brought into this country as ritual items and therefor are not checked and approved by the FDA office of imports. The fruit is not safe to eat and the peel is not food safe. Use at your own discretion obviously, I'm just offering information for those who may not know who care to know.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:15 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Pesticides and toxins.
How do you think they look so perfect and blemish/bug free?

I live in the US and do not eat the esrog when pregnant for this reason. It’s not grown for food so they are not held to the same standards in regards to chemicals, and much much more are used, especially since this particular fruit is extremely prone to infestation otherwise and they would like to keep them looking good as long as possible. I do not consider it edible because of all the chemicals, even more so when pregnant

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 10:52 am
Just chiming in with what a farmer here in Israel told me. When an esrog is picked, it is dipped into pesticide and then shellac. The process is repeated a number of times. Esrogim are not classified as food and are not safe for consumption. Please, don't make jam with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics