Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Wooden or fabric bathmat best for small bathroom?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 5:47 pm
We've just finished doing our basement and have 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom. I'm up to the decorating part-I know much more fun than the building. The bedrooms I have nice curtains, bedding-I just need to buy the beds, and will add as we go along as I'm working off a tight budget.
I'm going to be using one of the bedrooms as a guest bedroom for the moment and want the bathroom to look really nice. It's a pretty small space and I'm stuck on working out what's the best kind of bathmat.
Is a wooden bathmat any use? Doesn't look very comfortable but it might be easier to lift and keep inside the shower when not in use. I would have to keep a fabric bathmat probably on the towel rail for lack of any other space.
Any suggestions?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:16 pm
Wooden bathmat will look more elegant when new; I can't speak for its looks after it's been used for a while. Water is seldom kind to wood although teak--which is costly--will turn a pale grey which some people find attractive. If you don't, you'd need to seal the teak. Wood won't absorb water very well and will let it all drip on the floor, if you care about that. It'll also be heavier than fabric. TBH I don't care to step barefoot on any bathmat in any home other than my own, but I'd rather step on a cushy plush mat than a wooden one. Wood eventually gets splintery unless it's well-sealed. Marinating in water makes the grain swell and hastens the splintering process.

I go for the newish type of mats that are a sort of resilient foam material and very absorbent. I think they're made of the same stuff used to make the dish-drying mats.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:43 pm
I just bought one at home goods very inexpensive

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:53 pm
Have you considered a bath stone?

https://sleepsutera.com/produc.....w_wcB

Librarian

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 6:59 pm
I personally think the bathmats that look similar to towels (no foam on back) are the classiest. I fold it and lay it over the top of the shower door when not in use. Many hand and bath towels have available matching bath mats. I have also had problems with washing the bathmats that have foam I found after multiple washings the back rips a bit and the foam starts to leak out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics