Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Worse than 10th of Av

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:38 pm
I think laundry today was worse than 10th of Av.

Just as long without doing. 10 tablecloths from yom tov meals. Everyone's yom tov/ shabbos clothing... and it feels like a let down from simchat yom tov as opposed to the relief after the nine days.

I don't know why this is the first year I'm feeling like this.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:41 pm
Maybe because we used more Yom Tov tablecloths and clothing because of how it all fell out this year?

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:46 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Maybe because we used more Yom Tov tablecloths and clothing because of how it all fell out this year?

Maybe. But that was only(!?!) 2 loads today. The baskets of clothing were overflowing. Also the sheets from the beds in the succah. Just seemed like so much this year.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:46 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I think laundry today was worse than 10th of Av.

Just as long without doing. 10 tablecloths from yom tov meals. Everyone's yom tov/ shabbos clothing... and it feels like a let down from simchat yom tov as opposed to the relief after the nine days.

I don't know why this is the first year I'm feeling like this.

I was out literally all day- from 8:40 until about 6:45. I put one load in this morning when I was home for 2 minutes, but it didn’t get transferred. I’m going to be up late tonight….and yes, definitely worse than tisha b’av. We had a packed house the entire chag, so I have loads of sheets and towels (double what we usually use) plus all the clothing from the entire chag….BH my machine is big, so everyone’s clothing will fit into two loads, then I have two loads each of delicates, sheets and towels, and whites. No tablecloths because our cloths are the ones that you spray down, plus we cover with plastic at all meals.

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 30 2021, 8:57 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I was out literally all day- from 8:40 until about 6:45. I put one load in this morning when I was home for 2 minutes, but it didn’t get transferred. I’m going to be up late tonight….and yes, definitely worse than tisha b’av. We had a packed house the entire chag, so I have loads of sheets and towels (double what we usually use) plus all the clothing from the entire chag….BH my machine is big, so everyone’s clothing will fit into two loads, then I have two loads each of delicates, sheets and towels, and whites. No tablecloths because our cloths are the ones that you spray down, plus we cover with plastic at all meals.

I think I'm just feeling a dip after yom tov.

I think I'll focus on the fact that dh did some hanging up of clothing (and ignore the folding and putting away that needs doing! )

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 3:49 pm
it could just be me, but if I didn't have 10 tablecloths, I would just cover a material one with plastic and wipe it clean, or use disposable for the week.

a clean tablecloth is nice for a shabbos but not for many meals in a row, day after day.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:18 pm
It's a LOT of work. I went to the (gentile) cleaners and the woman behind the counter asked me how Succos (she used the word) was. Before I could say, a lot of work, she said, a lot of work right? So I said it was beautiful. A lot of work but worth it.

We need to endorse ourselves and thank our bodies (even if we're feeling blimpy) for all their hard work.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:36 pm
My washing machine started leaking last night!!!!

mybusyima

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:44 pm
I always cover my tablecloths with two layers of plastic (shhhh, don't tell anyone!).

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 5:01 pm
So much laundry to do! Instead I was on this site too much today... procrastinating TMI Hiding

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 5:09 pm
Much more laundry.
During the 9 days we are encouraged not to change our clothes often. So a lot of underwear and socks and tshirts. As few outer clothes as we can manage while still remaining respectable.

Yuntif and Shabbos? So much hand laundry and so much ironing. Also, at least the way Sukkos fell out this year, it was kind of the end of many summer-ish outfits that aren't laundered each time but will be before putting back in the closet until next spring.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 5:12 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it could just be me, but if I didn't have 10 tablecloths, I would just cover a material one with plastic and wipe it clean, or use disposable for the week.

a clean tablecloth is nice for a shabbos but not for many meals in a row, day after day.

I have never used an unprotected cloth table cover in my life and don’t intend to, ever. I wash my cloths once a year before Pesach and that’s it. The plastic gets replaced every few years when it gets grungy, yellowed or cut by an overly enthusiastic knife-wielder. Work smarter, not harder.

keym

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 8:43 pm
For me its also all the towels.
Dishtowels for all the dishes.
Large beach towels to mop up the sukka puddles- dry the chairs and tables.
The linen for the sukka. The guests.

After the 9days, I'm loading up my machine with dozens of loads of basics- underwear, socks, pajamas, tshirts. Nothing special. Washed on warm.

Now I'm washing delicate sweaters and cold loads of just dark and just white.

behappy2

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 8:48 pm
This was my coping mechanism for laundry this year. Checked reach person's closet and only did clothing for the next few days (Friday, shabbos, Sunday) It ended up being only 3 small loads. Planning to do 2 loads each day this week and slowly working my way down to the bottom.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 8:53 pm
Am I the only one who has asked and been told I can wash towels and table cloths?
I would never go and wash 10 tablecloths.
I only have 2 for sukkos that I made to fit my table and I washed both after the first days after shabbos and after second days.
Why would you use 10 diff table cloths?

But yes the washing has been non stop. And it's all delicate clothing that needs hanging and ironing. It's alot..

By next week this should be all sorted and in the past. And it'll be quiet time for a while.

Meanwhile the cooking and eating I also need a break from.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 8:54 pm
It's harder because I feel like every delicate piece any of us own was dirty and needed to be washed separately post YT.

momsrus

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 9:20 pm
My friends washing machine broke and can’t do her laundry.

Appreciate that you can!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry