Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Laundry coming out full of brown sediment and yellow spots
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 12:56 pm
Why? We just moved. We tried running the machine a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to be clearing up the problem. I have a whole white load from Yom Tov full of brown dirt and yellow splotches.

Help!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 1:49 pm
Bump - help!

simcha2

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 1:58 pm
Probably mold in the machine.

Is it a top or front loader?

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 1:58 pm
Oysh, so frustrating.

Is it possible there's rust in the machine? The pipes? The hoses?

Alternatively, was there a water issue in your area? We sometimes get brown water and if we wash a light colored wash it will stain the clothing. We were told to use an "iron out" type laundry additive but that will only work if the garments weren't dried in a drier or if bleach is used.

Do you see discolored water when you fill the machine without any clothing?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:08 pm
My husband said that there's still dirt in it when he runs it with nothing inside.

simcha2

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband said that there's still dirt in it when he runs it with nothing inside.

Is it brown, wet flakes?

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:11 pm
Where did you move to?
My town has a water issue. We put in a backwash filter and water softener. Yes it was an additional $1500, but I can cook, clean, wash laundry and flush toilets without brown residue..l

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:12 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Probably mold in the machine.

Is it a top or front loader?

Top loader

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:12 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Is it brown, wet flakes?

No, it looks like dirt/sediment from outside.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:13 pm
Adding to my above post that now we only have an issue after a water main break or sometimes after a lot of rain or snow melting. But pretty much our filter and softener solved the problem bh.

amother
OP

amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Where did you move to?
My town has a water issue. We put in a backwash filter and water softener. Yes it was an additional $1500, but I can cook, clean, wash laundry and flush toilets without brown residue..l

Passaic. There's still a boil water advisory, but I'm not hearing about this issue from others in the neighborhood or the former owners (whose machine it was).

ra_mom

Is it your machine, or one that came with the house?
If it's your old machine that you brought with you, or a brand new machine you just installed, call a plumber to deal with the pipes.
If it's a machine that came with the house, call an appliance repairman for his opinion first.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Passaic. There's still a boil water advisory, but I'm not hearing about this issue from others in the neighborhood or the former owners (whose machine it was).

Can you ask if the others have filters?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is it your machine, or one that came with the house?
If it's your old machine that you brought with you, or a brand new machine you just installed, call a plumber to deal with the pipes.
If it's a machine that came with the house, call an appliance repairman for his opinion first.

Machine that came with the house. I'm hoping to avoid having to wait for that. We're having a plumber come anyway for a few other things.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Machine that came with the house. I'm hoping to avoid having to wait for that. We're having a plumber come anyway for a few other things.

Good luck, I hope it's an easy fix!

simcha2

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:25 pm
Our top loader (non-agitator, Samsung) has this. When we took the disc off the bottom and looked inside it was full of mold.

It took a while, but we cleaned the parts. Ran multiple times with bleach and hot water and finally solved the issue.

Now we run it empty, with bleach, every few weeks.

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Welcome to the hood Hi . We do get brown water frequently here in Passaic (DH insists it's on the water company's erev Shabbos /yontif schedule), especially when they are flushing the hydrants - which they've been doing the past several days. Check here for the scheduling, see if maybe this is why you're having an issue:

PVWC On-Going Updates
Remediation of New Street Reservoir
https://www.pvwc.com/updates_2/

(and if you're not already receiving them, sign up for ourkehila.com and bubble messages)

When did you move? Was it before Sept 1? If so, did you have this issue before? If not, maybe there's another flood-related reason...

Also, is it there regardless of filing the machine with hot or cold water? Do you see it when you run the hot water for showers?

B'hatzlacha!

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 2:32 pm
cbsp wrote:
Welcome to the hood Hi . We do get brown water frequently here in Passaic (DH insists it's on the water company's erev Shabbos /yontif schedule), especially when they are flushing the hydrants - which they've been doing the past several days. Check here for the scheduling, see if maybe this is why you're having an issue:

PVWC On-Going Updates
Remediation of New Street Reservoir
https://www.pvwc.com/updates_2/

(and if you're not already receiving them, sign up for ourkehila.com and bubble messages)

When did you move? Was it before Sept 1? If so, did you have this issue before? If not, maybe there's another flood-related reason...

Also, is it there regardless of filing the machine with hot or cold water? Do you see it when you run the hot water for showers?

B'hatzlacha!

No joke! We had this too, worst water on erevs and right after y’t/9 days when there’s lots of water being used.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
No joke! We had this too, worst water on erevs and right after y’t/9 days when there’s lots of water being used.

Another Passaic person chiming in here. We had this issue on motzei yom tov too. They are flushing the system and so the water turns brown when they do that. It’s usually better by the next day.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:58 pm
Yep, also live in Passaic. I think it is the water flushing they said they will be doing.
I stopped my machine mid cycle when my son showed me the water coming out of the tap was brown.
It cleared up after about 30 min but all the laundry got pushed off because I couldn't stay up any longer. Figures it happened on motzei YT.

I think our water may still be slightly yellow tinged even now.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics