Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Finally did it-- bare minimum shabbos!
Previous  1  2

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think Pesach is actually the best setup this year. Starts Friday night, so Shabbos and Sunday, then chol hamoed through Thursday night, ends with YT on Friday and Shabbos. So only 4 days of YT/Shabbos with almost a week in between. And a full week from shabbos hagadol.

I don't love the Friday night seder because I have a hard time figuring out what will taste good after having sat in the oven for so many hours until we reach the meal part of the seder. But yeah, the rest is great - having a real chol hamoed stretch and having the week from shakos Hagadol is pretty great too.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 01 2021, 5:11 pm
My oven is at 250, and I put in a slightly underdone kugel that gets better with time (half an overnight kugel I guess!) And I serve chicken from the soup 😉
That suffices for us and I actually find seder cooking to be easier than sukkos cooking because I serve less foods. The downside is I can't stock up my freezer weeks in advance. But hey, no challah baking!
Our expectations are lower.
Like this bare minimum shabbos thread to tie it all back together...

Teomima

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 2:01 pm
Good for you! Nothing wrong with that! We do it often in the winter. We call it a "Two Pot Shabbat". Hearty, filling soup for supper, and chollent in the crock pot for lunch. Everyone eats, everyone's full, everyone's happy.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Pesach is a three day?

I think in chutz l'aretz Shavuot will be a three day Yom Tov.

But there are two Adars this year, and Shavuos is a very long way off. Everyone will have had time to recover from this Yom Tov schedule by then.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 4:05 pm
I made a big pot of Moroccan fish with lots vegetables and cholent. We bought challah dips and lots of fresh produce for salads. It was a light Shabbos which is what we all needed after this month.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 4:52 pm
my easy shabbos is a big tray of chicken cooked on top of potatoes. Plus a salad, challah and maybe a dip. Half my kids don't eat cholent so I had to make dips. Or cold cuts and challah for lunch works but I didn't have any.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 5:44 pm
On Friday afternoon, my husband discovered that the store which Otzar Ha'aretz lists as selling Otzar veggies, actually sells heter mechira.

He went to our regular supermarket, bought frozen vegetables, a cake, and lots of vegetable-based salatim, and we had challah, dips, and frozen carrots on Friday night (instead of soup - no veggies for it), and green beans and meat Shabbat day, and olive spread with challah for seudah shlishit.

The kids, by the way, were thrilled. Us not so much, but we all survived.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 11:57 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think Pesach is actually the best setup this year. Starts Friday night, so Shabbos and Sunday, then chol hamoed through Thursday night, ends with YT on Friday and Shabbos. So only 4 days of YT/Shabbos with almost a week in between. And a full week from shabbos hagadol.

Yes, this is like the best possible schedule for Pesach. It's payback for all of us for the less-than-ideal YT schedule we just had all Tishrei.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 12:16 am
imasinger wrote:
Wow!

I still haven't learned to keep Shabbos prep under 5 hours.

You go!

And I would love to know what you prepare for Shabbos that takes 5 hours? Yummm...

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:33 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
On Friday afternoon, my husband discovered that the store which Otzar Ha'aretz lists as selling Otzar veggies, actually sells heter mechira.

Generally their first preference is Otzar Beit Din, but if that is not available, they will sell heter mechira under certain specific conditions. Its not a general acceptance of the heter mechira. They should have everything clearly labelled.

Most root vegetables and fruit aren't shviit yet, so there is still room for a certain amount of flexibility.

(If there is any further discussion of this, maybe it should maybe be a spin off in the Israeli forum.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note