Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Is OpenDNS good enough?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:07 pm
Is Open DNS good enough to filter the internet in my home? My dh had a history of filth addiction. We also halve smart phones so I know that it will not work if we just turn the data on. I was considering netspark and gentech but sort of don't want to pay for 3 devices (computer, his phone and my phone) maybe we could get away with just paying for home computer and his phone, but he uses my phone sometimes when his dies. I also want a filter on the router just incase he wants to get a tablet in the future it would automatically be filtered (and not have to wait 2 months for us to get around yo applying a filter to the new device)

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Oct 02 2021, 10:29 pm
In general no, any single filter is not enough.

Specifically Open DNS - if a neighbor has or gets wifi with no password that you can pick up from your house, your filter becomes useless. OpenDNS also has a very limited number of whitelisted sites allowed (I think it's 25) so it can't be a very strict filter.

If your DH has a history of addiction, this should be one of the last places to be cheap. I'd definitely put OpenDNS on the home router, PLUS pay for another filter on all of the devices. It's much cheaper than the Agmas Nefesh of DH being faced with a challenge on a regular basis.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics