Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
21 mo old keeps climbing out of crib
1  2  Next

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 7:11 am
21 mo old just learnt to climb out of his crib. simchas torah after we came home from hakafos, he just kept coming out again and again. from 10 till after midnight. eventualy, I put him in bed and went to bed myself. he ended up coming to my bed and went to sleep with me. but I really dont like doing that.

now he does it every night. last night, I sat in his room for 40 min and every time he got up, I told him ever so gently to please lay down and he listened. when I thought he was finally sleeping, I left. 2 minutes later he was out again. he ran around till almost midnight. even when I lost my nerves with him and shouted at him (really? who shouts at a 21 mo old baby??), he didnt care. he knows hes delicious and I love him, but this is beyond insane. ive thought about the crib tents, but I feel like its so mean to do that.

hes exhausted during the day and nap time is the same thing, so we usually just skip it. how do I get him to stay in bed and not come out? he needs his sleep and so do I.

hodeez

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 7:16 am
I got my kids into regular beds at that age

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 7:19 am
Time for a bed/ to take the side off when crib and baby proof his room

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 7:21 am
hodeez wrote:
I got my kids into regular beds at that age

I could easily switch it for a toddler bed, but how does that help? does it make it easier for you that you dont have to lift the kid 15 times each night? or does it help the child understand the concept og "going to sleep"?

also, at this age, im still afraid of them falling off. my 3 yo is also still in a crib. she climbs out by herself, I dont mind, but im afraid of her falling off a bed.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 7:58 am
You need to put a railing on the bed, but it makes it much safer when they come out because you eliminate the climbing and risk of falling.
It is really not safe for him to climb out alone.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:12 am
I am going through same thing with my almost 2 yr old girl. Sukkos she came out 5 times 2 AM, to make peekaboo to my husband who was sleeping in sukkah, and she was saying hi at the window, to peek into sukkah porch where my husband was sleeping. I cannot put her down for a nap either.

Optione

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:14 am
Is there furniture or a wall near him that he's climbing on to our is he going from the crib straight to the floor?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:16 am
It's a phase.
Don't reward the behavior by giving them more freedom with a bed not to mention kids feel safe in their cribs it's where they have been sleeping for so long. Put them back safely, take out pillows and stuffed animals and turn the lower part of the crib to the wall of you have such a crib. A 2 year old you can train with those light alarm clocks.

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:51 am
he has a couch next to his bed which he uses as a landfall. im a fraid to move it away, cuz this one thinks hes superman and will try it without the couch. he could get hurt.

the back of the crib is quite high, but he climbs over the side of the crib, which is level so turning the crib around wont help.

thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.

dankbar, maybe we could hook them up so they can have company at night when we both need some shuteye Wink

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 8:56 am
I have same thing with my 20 month old.
I got a tent on Amazon special for a crib it closes with zipper....
Safety 1st
You never know what a 20 month old can get into...

Window

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 9:33 am
A sleep sack might help. I’d also move the couch away and all furniture.
You need to walk him back to bed in the most unexciting manner. Make it really boring

naomi1

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 9:46 am
I had the same issue with my ds. I had a drawer under the crib. I took out the drawer and moved the metal that supports the mattress lower down to where the drawer used to be. It made it impossible for my ds to get out because he was now too low down.

Teomima

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 9:57 am
Getting out of bed is a phase. It's an exhausting one, but it doesn't last forever. Silently put your child back in bed and promptly leave the room. And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Ad nauseam.

But you have another, more pressing issue: the bed. Once a child can climb out of a crib, it's not safe to leave them in there, no matter how adept they are at climbing in and out. All it takes is one misplaced foot and they can have a bad tumble. Plus the act of climbing out of a crib is more stimulating for a child than getting out of a toddler bed. It's time to get rid of the crib (or convert it to a toddler bed, if it does that).

momofgirls2

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 10:02 am
Yep other than a tent there’s literally nothing you can do at this age. My daughter is over 2 already and much more reasonable. She’s doesn’t usually come out if I give her a good warning
A few months ago I would find her chomping away on cookies at 2 am. That cabinet is locked.
It’s hard and can be dangerous.
Definitely consider a tent

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 10:34 am
When I had this stage, I converted the crib to a toddler bed for safety as I was scared he was going to hurt himself. I then put a stair/safety gate at the door so although he could get out his bed, he could only wander around his room and I didn't need to worry where he could get to. I had a box of toys and books to keep him busy so he didn't mind too much.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 11:18 am
They sell these mesh zipper tents that go over the crib.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ba0ee

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 1:57 pm
This product has amazing reviews. https://littlegrounders.com/

I think he's too young for Nanny Jo's "Back to Bed" method, but it's worth searching YouTube to see how she manages it. The first few nights are exhausting, but eventually it will work.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:29 pm
time for his own bed. in his own room.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 2:35 pm
Don't take him out yet. I took mine out. It didn't work. She roamed the house at random hours when I was asleep.
What did work was taking out the frame from the mattress and sticking the Mattress on the floor in the crib. This way it's much to high for her to climb out. Not every crib can do it. But most can. There is no gap on my crib between the mattress and this railing. Flat on floor and worked like a charm.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Oct 03 2021, 3:13 pm
I put my very active 2yr old into a sleep sack. It’s a lifesaver. He can’t climb out with it and he actually loves putting it on I think he finds it cozy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics