Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler craving milk and yogurt

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:12 am
Which wouldn't be too big of a deal if she didn't wake up hollering in the middle of the night for said milk and/or yogurt.

We recently had to take a urine sample for her and the Dr saw sugar in her urine and took a sugar finger prick test which bh was normal.

I'm still concerned though.

I should point out that she's not been getting milk bottles in bed for over a year-why would she suddenly start up again? She's turning 3 soon and literally not sleeping through nights.

I would ask my pediatrician this for sure, but I've recently relocated and have not decided on whom I will use.

Any advice or comments would be super appreciated!

Dina2018

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:15 am
she might be hungry or thirsty at night

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:17 am
Dina2018 wrote:
she might be hungry or thirsty at night

She bh isn't a picky eater and eats a full supper before going to sleep, most days. I guess it could definitely make sense that she'd be hungry sometimes, but I feel like disrupted sleep daily due to hunger is a bit off.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 11:22 am
Ask her if she's hungry again right before bedtime. Some kids need "second supper" in order to sleep well. This is especially true if they're going through a growth spurt.

Only water bottles in bed, no dairy. Otherwise you'll be paying a small fortune on dental bills. Speaking of teeth, does she have her 2 year molars yet? If she's getting her back teeth, that could be waking her up, too.

Does your DD stay dry at night? She may need the bathroom, and be confused and think she's hungry. Try to put her on the toilet, and then give her a glass of water, and tuck her back into bed. Remind her that night time is for sleeping, and there will be yogurt when it's time for breakfast.

I remember that when DD was that age, she was waking up from having intense dreams. She would wake up at 2:10 am on the dot. You could set your clock by it, it was weird! Her body rhythms were doing their thing, and I couldn't fight it. I'd sit and let her tell me her dream, and then tuck her back into bed.

There is so much developmental stuff going on between ages 2 and 3, it's unbelievable. They go from being a toddler to being a little kid. It's like if you had to suddenly become wiser and more coordinated, doing 10 years worth of growth in 6 months.

The good news, is that she'll grow out of it soon, and will be driving you crazy for entirely different reasons! Wink

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 11:41 am
Dairy is addictive, it breaks down to casomorphine and attaches to opiate receptors in the brain. I’m not sure what’s up with the midnight wakings, but does she ask for it constantly in the day? I would personally eliminate dairy from her diet and see if that helps. If she’s still waking in the night, then you’ll need to figure that out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics