Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
After school schedule

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:08 pm
What is your schedule after school? My last child ( oldest is 6) come home at 415. Other ones scatter in between 3 and 415. There is homework, dinner, playtime, bath, nursing baby, bedtime that all has to get done before 7/730. Its been so rushed and don't like it that way. What/ how would u schedule your afternoon/ evening?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:23 pm
I can tell you what mine looks like with a preschooler and nursing baby:
We walk in at 4:30. Preschooler takes out her lunchbox and helps herself to whatever snacks are left. If it's empty, I grab a snack for her and nurse baby. When babys done eating (5:15ish) I offer dinner. She might eat, we might go play. 6- bath. Dinner round 2. Bedtime around 7

Optione

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:33 pm
I don't bathe my kids every night. That took out the rushed feeling for me.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:42 pm
That’s really early! Mine don’t get home
Till closer to 5:15 so the night is really short. Minimal playtime, Homewood, dinner, shower, bed.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 6:45 pm
My oldest is also six. Homework at this age takes a grand total of five minutes, that’s being generous.

Baths should not be every night, it’s bad for the kids skin, especially in the winter.

Bedtime doesn’t have to be that early. My preschoolers go to sleep closer to 8:00 and if it means they sleep a little later in the mornings I have no problem with that Wink

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
My oldest is also six. Homework at this age takes a grand total of five minutes, that’s being generous.

Baths should not be every night, it’s bad for the kids skin, especially in the winter.

Bedtime doesn’t have to be that early. My preschoolers go to sleep closer to 8:00 and if it means they sleep a little later in the mornings I have no problem with that Wink

I need bedtime at that time as the morning bus comes early and dc has got to be up on time. What does your afternoon look like? When do you, " squeeze" in homework?

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 10:48 pm
My 3 year old is home by 3:15 and my 8th grader comes home around 5. 3 year old gets a snack and then plays until it's time to go the bus stop just before 4 for elementary school siblings. We come home and wash up and unpack backpacks and have small snack and do homework. 8th grader comes home and dinner goes in the oven. She's on top of her own homework and other kids play. Dinner at 6 when DH comes home. By 7 I'm upstairs with little kids supervising bedtime prep while DH cleans up from dinner. We do baths every other night except during the summer. Once kids are in pajamas with teeth brushed we call DH up for bedtime stories and shema.

I no longer have a nursing baby but I used to nurse while supervising homework and then again after I got the other kids to bed so it was quieter and more conducive to getting the baby to sleep.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 04 2021, 11:27 pm
We like to stay outside when everyone's done for the day and usually don't come home till at least 5. That covers play time. Then homework for those that have, more play for those that don't, and I pull supper together if I haven't already. Eat at 6, baths at about 6:45 (I don't bathe my kids every night), then in bed by 7:30.

My older kids have different schedules, later shower and bath times, etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:20 am
Two kids. One is 5, the other older teen.

The younger one comes home at 3:40. He plays and sometimes we play together. Sometimes we run an errand together. He does homework by himself either right away or later. 6:00 is supper and 7:00 we start getting ready for bed. It's very calm here.

I think the difficulty is juggling multiple kids, especially little kids. I don't know if that is related to a schedule or not. You really need to be able to stay calm around chaos ,(which I can't do,)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children