Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I’m a genius AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:44 pm
mum22 wrote:
But you never told us how long it would take for 7 faucets to empty the urn?

You are right! My mistake embarrassed

I left out that part. It should have been included in the riddle that it takes 1.5 hours to empty the urn if seven faucets are left open.

OP did get the right answer, but I'm not sure how if the riddle was missing some info. 🤔

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:44 pm
I feel seriously stupid reading this thread and I did very well in school and beyond.
I should surrender my screen name. Bow.
I'm not op btw.

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
You are right! My mistake embarrassed

I left out that part. It should have been included in the riddle that it takes 1.5 hours to empty the urn if seven faucets are left open.

OP did get the right answer, but I'm not sure how if the riddle was missing some info. 🤔

I think her subsequent posts about how long it would take if 7 faucets were open show that she completely missed the point of this riddle!

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:50 pm
mum22 wrote:
I think her subsequent posts about how long it would take if 7 faucets were open show that she completely missed the point of this riddle!

She wasn't so far off. It takes an hour and half. She said an hour and 34 minutes? I'm just not sure how she got there without the relevant info.
Op mind sharing your thought process?

EtA: also, her original answer of 39 minutes was very close as well.

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
She wasn't so far off. It takes an hour and half. She said an hour and 34 minutes? I'm just not sure how she got there without the relevant info.

1hr 34 mins is what you get if you just completely ignore the evaporation. It also is how she originally came up with 39 mins for 17 faucets.

11 faucets * 60 mins = 660 mins.

660 mins / 7 faucets = 94.29 mins = 1hr 34 mins.

ETA: 660 mins / 17 faucets = 38.8 mins (rounded to 39 mins).

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:00 pm
OK here's one of my favorite riddles. (If you knew it from before, don't answer.)

Three men went to a hotel. They split the cost of the room between them. The room costs $25 for the night.

They each give the receptionist at the desk $10. He said he will send them up the change with the bellhop.
He gives the bellhop 5 dollar bills. The bellhop goes to their room and gives them back 3 dollars (one for each man) and keeps two for himself, as a tip.

Now in the end, each guy paid $9. 9x3 is 27. The bellhop kept $2. Thats $29. They originally paid $30. So where is the last dollar?

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:01 pm
mum22 wrote:
1hr 34 mins is what you get if you just completely ignore the evaporation. It also is how she originally came up with 39 mins for 17 faucets.

11 faucets * 60 mins = 660 mins.

660 mins / 7 faucets = 94.29 mins = 1hr 34 mins.

ETA: 660 mins / 17 faucets = 38.8 mins (rounded to 39 mins).

Ahh...you are right again!

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:08 pm
Why is everyone being so mean to OP? She may be a genius. Or more likely, she is just above average smart. Maybe even very smart.
But if she takes pride on her intelligence and claims she's a genius, let it be. Let her continue to take pride in being smart. Nothing wrong with that.

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:11 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Or more likely, she is just above average smart.

Wow, so mean! Wink

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Why is everyone being so mean to OP? She may be a genius. Or more likely, she is just above average smart. Maybe even very smart.
But if she takes pride on her intelligence and claims she's a genius, let it be. Let her continue to take pride in being smart. Nothing wrong with that.

Who was being mean to OP?

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:32 pm
OK here's a creative thinking riddle.

Two friends, John and Mike are traveling together. John carries a locked suitcase with important documents. At some point, the two friends parted ways and they ended up in two different countries that bordered each other.

One day John realized that the key to his locked suitcase was missing. He needed to open it up to get his documents but couldn't find the key. He called Mike to ask him if he saw the key, and lo and behold Mike found the key in his wallet. Now Mike needs to get the key to John. They decided to meet at the border and Mike would pass the key to John.

Now there was a strange rule between these two countries that stated that you could only pass locked suitcases from one side of the border to the other. They can't pass objects, and they couldn't cross either.

The two friends came up with a plan and shortly after, John was able to unlock his briefcase.
How? What was their plan?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
Who was being mean to OP?
https://www.amazon.com/Greatness-Who-Makes-History-Why/dp/0898622018#:~:text=In%20this%20path%2Dbreaking%20work,influenced%20the%20course%20of%20history.&text=In%20exploring%20the%20psychology%20of%20greatness%2C%20this%20fascinating%20work%20also,share%20with%20history%2Dmaking%20people.

You may want to read this book if interested in a good background on the varying degrees and types of giftedness.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:37 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

EtA: also, her original answer of 39 minutes was very close as well.

17/11=1.5
(7/11))*60=40

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. No I don’t tell my kids that I’m a genius but they are very gifted themselves. I don’t talk to anyone about this but people tell me I am but I always ignore it. Idk how it affects my life. My career is very specific so I can’t write about it. I was just curious to see the replies here and as I thought people get annoyed. Especially women to women

Are you giving off a vibe that you are above them? If so, this is why they may be annoyed. As you said, you are bored by "ordinary" people. Really we are all gifted with different gifts - whether someone is charismatic, or generous or musical or artistic, or kind hearted , persistent and hard working, people smart and street smart, business savvy - the list goes on. We can all learn from each other.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Greatness-Who-Makes-History-Why/dp/0898622018#:~:text=In%20this%20path%2Dbreaking%20work,influenced%20the%20course%20of%20history.&text=In%20exploring%20the%20psychology%20of%20greatness%2C%20this%20fascinating%20work%20also,share%20with%20history%2Dmaking%20people.

You may want to read this book if interested in a good background on the varying degrees and types of giftedness.

Did you mean to address this to me?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
OK here's a creative thinking riddle.

Two friends, John and Mike are traveling together. John carries a locked suitcase with important documents. At some point, the two friends parted ways and they ended up in two different countries that bordered each other.

One day John realized that the key to his locked suitcase was missing. He needed to open it up to get his documents but couldn't find the key. He called Mike to ask him if he saw the key, and lo and behold Mike found the key in his wallet. Now Mike needs to get the key to John. They decided to meet at the border and Mike would pass the key to John.

Now there was a strange rule between these two countries that stated that you could only pass locked suitcases from one side of the border to the other. They can't pass objects, and they couldn't cross either.

The two friends came up with a plan and shortly after, John was able to unlock his briefcase.
How? What was their plan?

John passed the locked suitcase ro mike. Mike inserted the key but didn't unlock then passed it back to John.

I'm far from genius so I'm a bit embarrassed that I've completely misunderstood because this seems so obvious

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
Are you giving off a vibe that you are above them? If so, this is why they may be annoyed. As you said, you are bored by "ordinary" people. Really we are all gifted with different gifts - whether someone is charismatic, or generous or musical or artistic, or kind hearted , persistent and hard working, people smart and street smart, business savvy - the list goes on. We can all learn from each other.

No this is all anonymous out of curiosity in life itself I never talk or show this side of me

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
17/11=1.5
(7/11))*60=40

Last edited by mum22 on Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
John passed the locked suitcase ro mike. Mike inserted the key but didn't unlock then passed it back to John.

I'm far from genius so I'm a bit embarrassed that I've completely misunderstood because this seems so obvious

If this is the answer, I'm disappointed!

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

This is a good answer, but I can think of two reasons why John would not want to do this.
1. The key could fall out along the way, and then where would that leave him?
2. There were very sensitive documents in the suitcase. He would be afraid that someone at the border would notice the key in the lock, open the suitcase and steal the papers. (We have to assume that the border guards are checking the suitcase to make sure there was a lock, so for sure they would notice the key.)
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics