Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I Tovel a used plastic popsicle mold?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:17 pm
I never needed to do this but any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

bsy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:19 pm
Why does plastic need tvila?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:24 pm
bsy wrote:
Why does plastic need tvila?

Non kosher food was used in it. Sorry I should’ve mentioned that. Smile

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Non kosher food was used in it.

It is not one of the materials which may be made kosher (kashered). I'm sorry. The good news is that these are pretty cheap to buy new.

s1

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:26 pm
I don’t think tevila can make things kosher after having been used for trief, it would need kashering which I’m not sure can br done to plastic. Best ask your LOR

NB some people do tovel new plastic dishes etc

Last edited by s1 on Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:31 pm
Toiveling things does not make it kosher

Kashering certain items will make them kosher but plastic cannot be kashered. Only metal.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:47 pm
s1 wrote:
I don’t think tevila can make things kosher after having been used for trief, it would need kashering which I’m not sure can br done to plastic. Best ask your LOR

NB some people do tovel new plastic dishes etc

Isn’t there a Halacha about al tosif ?
I hope they don’t make a bracha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

Kashering certain items will make them kosher but plastic cannot be kashered. Only metal.

**Thanks all! I wanted to buy a popsicle mold that’s not sold in stores anymore but on eBay, but it is used and I had a small feeling I couldn’t buy it.

Oh well. Ty for all the useful information!

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:54 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

https://oukosher.org/passover/.....ver/:
As a rule, materials such as metal, wood, stone, natural rubber, and fabric can be kashered[/b]. [/I]

Please don't impose your non-halachic based stringencies on other people.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Most communities don't toivel plastic. Those that do hold tevilah without a bracha. The preferred way is to toivel something that requires a bracha first and then toivel the plastic.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:58 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

This has nothing to do with ba'al tosif (which, like many other things, isn't a bumper sticker philosophy, but has actual halachic parameters).

The reason that some do toivel plastic is because the original requirement of tevilla was on materials that can be melted down and reused (also something to do with being mekabel tuma, but I dktn recall). So glass and metal, yes. Ceramics and earthenware, no. Had plastic exited and been used the way it is now at the time of chazal, it would have been included with glass and metal. This is how a newly married friend whose husband has this minhag explained it to me, so I'm heard it third hand. I didn't ask, but I'd very much assume there's no bracha.

Growing up, my family toiveled china because it's glazed with a glass layer. We did so l'chumra without a bracha. Dh's family does NOT toivel china at all.

These are all interpretations of halacha and how it's applied based on the words in the Torah commandment. It's not ba'al tosif because no one is saying, ' hmm...I think I'll start toiveling my flower pots and negel vasser cup because wouldn't that be so nice, and in the spirit of tevilla'

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
https://oukosher.org/passover/articles/kashering-for-passover/:
As a rule, materials such as metal, wood, stone, natural rubber, and fabric can be kashered[/b]. [/I]

Please don't impose your non-halachic based stringencies on other people.

She didn't say anything that contradicted what you posted. Tevilla alone doesn't kasher something. You can't take a trief spoon, dip it in a mikvah, and use it. There's an ownership problem, and either minimal cleansing or ha'galah required.

And even according to your link, plastic is not listed as something that can be kashered.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Some yekkes toivel plastic without a bracha.
It’s a huge hassle

I was told that items that are only used for cold don’t need kashering. I was told this about plastic cookie cutters I bought used.

But I think plastic iced mold maybe is a question for rav bec
- Ices liquid can be hot
- holds contents more then 24 hrs
- some plastic ices molds are a porous material

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:15 pm
sky wrote:
Some yekkes toivel plastic without a bracha.
It’s a huge hassle

I was told that items that are only used for cold don’t need kashering. I was told this about plastic cookie cutters I bought used.

But I think plastic iced mold maybe is a question for rav bec
- Ices liquid can be hot
- holds contents more then 24 hrs
- some plastic ices molds are a porous material

Thanks. I’ll ask my LOR.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:17 pm
There's a common misconception, and I think that's where op was coming from, that toveling dishes or utensils in a mikvah makes them kosher. That's not the case. If we buy new dishes or pots made of metal or glass that were never used before we have to dip them in a keilim mikvah and make a bracha. Some people also dip china and plastic but without a bracha. A new knife, a new pot, a new glass measuring cup or bowl have to be toveled. Dishes that were used with non-kosher foods can't be kashered in a mikvah. The mikvah won't turn a non-kosher pot into a kosher one. There are ways to kasher certain items such as hagala and libun (these involve different types of heat) but that has nothing to do with a mikvah. Plastic cannot be kashered but metal and certain other things can.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:19 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
She didn't say anything that contradicted what you posted. Tevilla alone doesn't kasher something. You can't take a trief spoon, dip it in a mikvah, and use it. There's an ownership problem, and either minimal cleansing or ha'galah required.

And even according to your link, plastic is not listed as something that can be kashered.
I wasn't addressing tevilah at all, which doesn't kasher and has to be done AFTER kashering if someone acquired a tref utensil from a nonjew (but not if someone trefed up their own utensil). I was addressing kashering specifically. Amother asserted that plastic can't be kashered, "only metal" and said it as if that's the be-all and end-all. That's absolutely not true. For one thing some opinions hold that certain plastics CAN be kashered, though most disagree. For another thing, if OP is confusing tevilah and kashering, she's probably also unaware of the range of materials that can and cannot be kashered, and amother "onlymetal" is misleading her. Suppose OP finds a secondhand marble candy slab or agate bowl? Amother "onlymetal" would have her believe she can't kasher it, but she can.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

You only make a Brocha on glass and metal but some Rabbanim hold you should Toivel other materials like porcelain, lucite, non-disposable plastic..

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:42 pm
Many sefardim hold that plastic can be kashered

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:36 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Many sefardim hold that plastic can be kashered

Sephardic, never heard of this.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:37 pm
Whether or not kashering plastic is allowed is for sure an area of differing opinions. The CRC, for instance, holds that it’s ok. OP, I’d ask your rabbi this question to see what you hold.

https://sites.google.com/view/kashrushalacha/דרך-קצרה/kashering

Edit: link isn’t working, but if you copy and paste the address it works.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen