Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Need strengthening in emunah/hashgacha pratis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:23 am
Looking for inspiration on emunah specifically hashgacha pratis. I know without a doubt that Hashem is there and fully in control, but somehow I don’t feel enough secure with the fact that he controls every tiny detail. Like if someone gets a little cut, or loses $5, etc... I feel awful even writing it. I know I’m wrong and therefore I need chizzuk. Perhaps there are some nice books on the subject.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:26 am
Garden of emunah is life Changing

s1

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:28 am
I love the Living Emuna series. There is also a daily email you can sign up for.

aimhabanim

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:50 am
s1 wrote:
I love the Living Emuna series. There is also a daily email you can sign up for.

I second this!!!! It’s been life changing for me

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:10 am
s1 wrote:

I third this!!
You can sign up to receive the Daily Chizzuk by R Ashear to be sent to your whatsapp.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Garden of emunah is life Changing

What I don't like about these books is that out of the hundreds of stories almost every single one has a happy ending.....The family was poor and was about to get evicted, they had emunah and suddenly there was a knock on the door and they were gifted a ton of money. These books are not reality.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What I don't like about these books is that out of the hundreds of stories almost every single one has a happy ending.....The family was poor and was about to get evicted, they had emunah and suddenly there was a knock on the door and they were gifted a ton of money. These books are not reality.

Please don’t say they’re not reality, that’s calling the author a liar or fake. If you don’t like the books you don’t have to but don’t ruin what others see as inspiration and hope inspiring.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:33 am
You can believe that Hashem controls everything without also believing that every event in your life is micromanaged. The Rambam did.

For any number of reasons, the Ramban's more personal view of hasgacha pratis is more popular currently. If that view speaks to you, great, but it's not the only opinion out there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
You can believe that Hashem controls everything without also believing that every event in your life is micromanaged. The Rambam did.

For any number of reasons, the Ramban's more personal view of hasgacha pratis is more popular currently. If that view speaks to you, great, but it's not the only opinion out there.

So here’s my question. What is and isn’t? Only big things are managed and little things not according to this view?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:40 am
s1 wrote:

Is this a book? How do I sign up for the email?

advocate

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:49 am
Books are wonderful, but I think there may be another useful approach.

Tell Hashem exactly what you told us - that you want to perceive Him in your daily world.

Ask Him to open your eyes.

Then each day, try to write down one thing that you noticed.

I understand the comment about the "happy endings". Just like Hashem is in charge when you find a parking space, He is in charge when you don't!

But to feel that I think takes a more developed level...

Sources say that having to reach into one's pocket TWICE to get a coin is a low level tzar - so when you get the coin you need on the first try, that is a low level "hug" from Hashem!

One day I bought a drink, and put a dime in the tip jar. Then I wondered if I should have put it in the tzedaka box instead. I walked outside and found a dime on the ground. I felt Hashem gave me an immediate do-over!

When something goes well or easily, say Thank You. Of course, He deserves our thanks ALL the time (even when things look like they aren't going our way), but we are building our emunah, building our connection with Him, so start with easy, baby steps.

I would love to hear how your relationship grows!

Mazel and bracha!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
Please don’t say they’re not reality, that’s calling the author a liar or fake. If you don’t like the books you don’t have to but don’t ruin what others see as inspiration and hope inspiring.

I'm not calling the author a liar. I'm saying his hundreds of stories give an incredibly false sense of how hashem runs the world.

Put simply, his stories lead people to believe that emunah solves problems. If a person is poor, have emunah and hashem will give them money. If a women can't have children, have emmunah and hashem will give her children. If a person is c'vs sick, have emunah and hashem will cure the person. This is not true.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:15 am
Read Making Sense of Suffering by Rabbi Yitzchak Kirzner. Hatzlacha!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So here’s my question. What is and isn’t? Only big things are managed and little things not according to this view?

For the Rambam, yichidei segula have their every move watched over. Ordinary people live lives according to the rules of nature.

Again, the Rambam believed that Hashem runs the world closely. He just didn't think ordinary people merited to have instantaneous feedback.

This view can be very helpful or very difficult. As is the Ramban's view of close hashgacha. Both options are available to religious Jews.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

Do you think if someone put together a book of stories that don't have a happy ending it would sell?

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looking for inspiration on emunah specifically hashgacha pratis. I know without a doubt that Hashem is there and fully in control, but somehow I don’t feel enough secure with the fact that he controls every tiny detail. Like if someone gets a little cut, or loses $5, etc... I feel awful even writing it. I know I’m wrong and therefore I need chizzuk. Perhaps there are some nice books on the subject.

I think the best idea would be to try to see it in your daily life, once you look for it you will find it and I'm willing to bet on it.
I'll tell you 2 incidents that happened today.
1. I ordered an item for a customer which arrived today, an item that I don't usually stock. When it was delivered I saw it was the wrong size and I had to request a return. Later in the day someone called and needed that exact item urgently - and lo and behold I had it for them! OK, I still need to get the correct size for the initial customer.
2. I am making Sheva Brachos soon with a few people. We settled on a Mexican theme late this afternoon and were trying to figure out where we can borrow decor from. About half an hour later I was driving my daughter's friend home and mentioned the theme. She knew a family who used to live in Mexico and has loads of stuff we could use.

I really think this is the way to go. Then you could write your own book.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 7:46 pm
I second and third Rav Ashears daily Living Emunah ! You can get it through email or WhatsApp In the email it gives an option how to listen by phone as well.
Go to itorah.com click on the 3 horizontal bars in the corner.
It should drop down a bunch of options. Look for subscribe.
Click on that and choose Rav Ashears daily LIVING EMUNAH. They are short and It is life changing for the good!! May you be blessed to feel and see Hashem with you always!

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:00 pm
My story is on the second page of this thread

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=20

Thought it was unusual bc I was the hashgacha in someone else's story.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:20 pm
Read the book on Rubashkin that just came out. Amazing book full of how he saw the hashgacha in seemingly terrible things.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I second and third Rav Ashears daily Living Emunah ! You can get it through email or WhatsApp In the email it gives an option how to listen by phone as well.
Go to itorah.com click on the 3 horizontal bars in the corner.
It should drop down a bunch of options. Look for subscribe.
Click on that and choose Rav Ashears daily LIVING EMUNAH. They are short and It is life changing for the good!! May you be blessed to feel and see Hashem with you always!

Thank you, and thank you all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational