Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Updating dining room while keeping old furniture

cla

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:20 pm
Has anyone renovated their dining room to modernize it and bring it up to date, but keep their old heavy brown furniture, and have it come out looking clean, stylish, (not super trendy) and cohesive?

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:40 pm
What do you mean by renovate? Furniture is the main feature, after all. You can paint, change window treatments and lamps, add or remove molding, replace sheetrock, flooring, switchplates and faceplates, even replace windows and doors, but if all your furniture is ornate and old-fashioned, the room is not going to have a sleek modern look. Which isn't to say that it will look bad, but old-fashioned furniture will never look modern.

Cohesive? If your furniture is similar in style, color and material, it will look cohesive. I don't know that I would pair Early American furniture with a Sputnik chandelier and Mylar wall covering, though.

sari00

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:41 pm
Adding modern paint, wall paper, new stylish shades/ light fixtures

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:41 pm
Updating lighting (much brighter) and window treatments to something lighter and more up to date while still considering that it should coordinate with what's already there makes a world of a difference. Also art work on walls. Some people just replace or update their chairs. There's what to work with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics