Home

How much do you pay your cleaning lady?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Wine
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
I had a roomba. Got a roborock and like it much better. Quieter and more efficient. And it mops.

I honestly don't know how people can afford these crazy prices for cleaning help.

People can't afford alot of things these days. But their desperation overrides any money.
If people stopped and thought about the help they have, and realize how much they are shelling out and how many of them don't work efficiently, they would stop paying $20 an hour.
Personally out of all the ladies I've tried the past 2 years I can recall 2 being good. And let's just say I've tried more than an average person. Its a big struggle to not have any help but I can't handle throwing my money in the garbage.
Back to top

amother




Poinsettia
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 1:06 pm
For the most part, you get what you pay for.

I have had the same cleaning lady for many years as have my friends and neighbors. We pay in excess of $18 per hour although we don't pay by the hour but by the "job". My cleaning lady was referred to me by a neighbor years ago and she has probably been working for that woman for 15 years at this point.

McDonalds is paying burger flippers $18 per hour as are many other "minimum wage" type of jobs.

People who have large homes pay a certain amount and those with small homes that don't need all day pay a different amount. I probably pay at least $25 per hour (maybe more) but it is completely worth it to have someone who is reliable, goes about her job and is proactive in terms of seeing issues and then asking me about it if necessary. I don't have to be home when she is there.

I would go out of my mind if I had to deal with training and dealing with new cleaning ladies every few months. I can't believe my experience and that of my friends is so different in terms of our having long term cleaning ladies who do a great job - the only difference is that we pay them a good salary for their hard work. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I don't understand the resentment that working people feel entitled to get a wage that reflects the value of that labor. Yes - I know there will now be posts about how they don't pay taxes and so they are so much better off than people who do pay taxes and so they are able to live fabulous life styles on their cleaning lady wages. My cleaning lady doesn't live a fabulous life style - she lives a very bare bones existence.

Cleaning ladies have no benefits - have no vacation or sick pay although I do give my cleaning lady the equivalent of a two week vacation and I also give her money for the winter holiday season. If you are not paying their FICA share, they are not eligible for Social Security or other government benefits. If they are working 40 hours a week for 52 weeks at $15 per hour - which is probably not possible to achieve realistically because that would mean working 8 hours five days a week for 52 weeks with absolutely no time off - they would be getting $31,200. Hardly a living wage.

No one is entitled to a cleaning lady and complaining that you can't afford to pay them a decent wage is ridiculous. And now there will be justifications of why a cleaning lady is a necessity rather than a luxury.
Back to top

amother




Wine
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
For the most part, you get what you pay for.

I have had the same cleaning lady for many years as have my friends and neighbors. We pay in excess of $18 per hour although we don't pay by the hour but by the "job". My cleaning lady was referred to me by a neighbor years ago and she has probably been working for that woman for 15 years at this point.

McDonalds is paying burger flippers $18 per hour as are many other "minimum wage" type of jobs.

People who have large homes pay a certain amount and those with small homes that don't need all day pay a different amount. I probably pay at least $25 per hour (maybe more) but it is completely worth it to have someone who is reliable, goes about her job and is proactive in terms of seeing issues and then asking me about it if necessary. I don't have to be home when she is there.

I would go out of my mind if I had to deal with training and dealing with new cleaning ladies every few months. I can't believe my experience and that of my friends is so different in terms of our having long term cleaning ladies who do a great job - the only difference is that we pay them a good salary for their hard work. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I don't understand the resentment that working people feel entitled to get a wage that reflects the value of that labor. Yes - I know there will now be posts about how they don't pay taxes and so they are so much better off than people who do pay taxes and so they are able to live fabulous life styles on their cleaning lady wages. My cleaning lady doesn't live a fabulous life style - she lives a very bare bones existence.

Cleaning ladies have no benefits - have no vacation or sick pay although I do give my cleaning lady the equivalent of a two week vacation and I also give her money for the winter holiday season. If you are not paying their FICA share, they are not eligible for Social Security or other government benefits. If they are working 40 hours a week for 52 weeks at $15 per hour - which is probably not possible to achieve realistically because that would mean working 8 hours five days a week for 52 weeks with absolutely no time off - they would be getting $31,200. Hardly a living wage.

No one is entitled to a cleaning lady and complaining that you can't afford to pay them a decent wage is ridiculous. And now there will be justifications of why a cleaning lady is a necessity rather than a luxury.


I don't fully agree with this.
Your very lucky you have a lady for many years. Not everyone has that luxury. Maybe because you are over paying so they will do anything to stay.. But if that works for you than, than lucky her!
Not everyone can afford brand name clothing, but it doesn't mean they should walk around naked. Some people can afford to pay $15 and hour to their help and maybe they will be amazing, or maybe they will be subpar-either way they can't pay the prices you can pay. So that doesn't mean they shouldn't have any help. If they can find someone for a price that works for them who are you to decide that value.
I've had help that honestly didn't deserve even $10 an hour.. I've had help that I gave a bit extra to every time because they really cleaned well and were a pleasure having around.
In your scenerio you have someone your happy with and are willing to pay whatever price. That isn't the same by everyone.
If your lady were to leave (it does happen btw, they go back to family, they move...) you wouldn't be so thrilled to pay 25$ to a lady that doesn't speak any English and can't use a vacuum.
And 30k a year for them may actually be more than enough money to live(govt programs for rent, food, and public schools, and their husband's work as well) . That's not for you to decide, it's actually their decision how and when they want to work.
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:27 pm
$15. Lakewood.

My cleaning lady recently keeps asking for $18 or $20. Says my neighbors are paying that. I called them and they are not, of course. Maybe did once or twice in a special situation. (I do pay $20 when she comes ok Sunday)

I'm being firm about this. There are only a few out there paying that much. She will not be able to find a full time job all week at 18/20
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
$15. Lakewood.

My cleaning lady recently keeps asking for $18 or $20. Says my neighbors are paying that. I called them and they are not, of course. Maybe did once or twice in a special situation. (I do pay $20 when she comes ok Sunday)

I'm being firm about this. There are only a few out there paying that much. She will not be able to find a full time job all week at 18/20


Agree, I don't think people are paying more per hour for someone they have several times a week, for alot of hours.
Back to top

amother




Sapphire
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:42 pm
I have a lady through a service steady hours (3 hours ). It’s $20. I find her to be good, but not great. She’s reliable, speaks fluent English, and cleans good, but not great.
I just cut back from 2x a week when I realised it wasn’t really necessary. I realised that saves us $260 a month… that’s almost an entire playgroup tuition. Totally silly as I don’t feel like what she does in those 3 hours I cannot do myself in less time, maybe spread out throughout the day or two days.
I feel I clean a bathroom better than she does and she takes 25 mins for each one whereas I take 10-15 mins and scrub the crevices etc.

Thursday night it’s hard to cook and clean so It’s helpful to have her then.

We have never had more than I believe 6 or 8 hours a week and usually we’ve had none. We got our first cleaning lady about 5-6 years after we got married. Im not a perfect housekeeper by any means but I find for most people it’s only a necessity because you’re used to it. There are exceptions of people in extreme circumstances, but I’ve seen women who have one kid , work part time, and live in a two bedroom basement have a cleaning lady multiple times a week. Maybe she has extenuating circumstances (like going though a rough pregnancy, or has depression or anxiety etc I don’t know), so I don’t judge the individuals but I must say I do judge the society that’s made cleaning ladies a complete necessity. It’s a luxury foe the vast majority of us
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 3:45 pm
You never know what's going on by someone else.

My cleaning lady used to pop in to my sister's for an hour or so on days she had time, just to straighten up, wash the dishes, wipe down the counters...I believe she's a "gutte neshama". My sister was going thru chemo. Married with 1 baby.

Maybe people who saw the cleaning lady coming and going thought, what does a young married woman with one baby need one for so often?
Back to top

amother




Offwhite
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
I have the roborock s6. It is usually available on walmart and amazon.


Thanks for this information. A search showed that there are a few different S6 models. Which one is it?

Would you mind to elaborate on how the mopping works? How happy are you with the mopping feature? I've been trying to find out about this for a while. Would be very helpful to hear more. TIA.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:16 pm
Me too. The mopping ones seem to be considerably more $$$ so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:41 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have a lady through a service steady hours (3 hours ). It’s $20. I find her to be good, but not great. She’s reliable, speaks fluent English, and cleans good, but not great.
I just cut back from 2x a week when I realised it wasn’t really necessary. I realised that saves us $260 a month… that’s almost an entire playgroup tuition. Totally silly as I don’t feel like what she does in those 3 hours I cannot do myself in less time, maybe spread out throughout the day or two days.
I feel I clean a bathroom better than she does and she takes 25 mins for each one whereas I take 10-15 mins and scrub the crevices etc.

Thursday night it’s hard to cook and clean so It’s helpful to have her then.

We have never had more than I believe 6 or 8 hours a week and usually we’ve had none. We got our first cleaning lady about 5-6 years after we got married. Im not a perfect housekeeper by any means but I find for most people it’s only a necessity because you’re used to it. There are exceptions of people in extreme circumstances, but I’ve seen women who have one kid , work part time, and live in a two bedroom basement have a cleaning lady multiple times a week. Maybe she has extenuating circumstances (like going though a rough pregnancy, or has depression or anxiety etc I don’t know), so I don’t judge the individuals but I must say I do judge the society that’s made cleaning ladies a complete necessity. It’s a luxury foe the vast majority of us


Which cleaning service do you use?
Back to top

amother




Tulip
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 5:37 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have a lady through a service steady hours (3 hours ). It’s $20. I find her to be good, but not great. She’s reliable, speaks fluent English, and cleans good, but not great.
I just cut back from 2x a week when I realised it wasn’t really necessary. I realised that saves us $260 a month… that’s almost an entire playgroup tuition. Totally silly as I don’t feel like what she does in those 3 hours I cannot do myself in less time, maybe spread out throughout the day or two days.
I feel I clean a bathroom better than she does and she takes 25 mins for each one whereas I take 10-15 mins and scrub the crevices etc.

Thursday night it’s hard to cook and clean so It’s helpful to have her then.

We have never had more than I believe 6 or 8 hours a week and usually we’ve had none. We got our first cleaning lady about 5-6 years after we got married. Im not a perfect housekeeper by any means but I find for most people it’s only a necessity because you’re used to it. There are exceptions of people in extreme circumstances, but I’ve seen women who have one kid , work part time, and live in a two bedroom basement have a cleaning lady multiple times a week. Maybe she has extenuating circumstances (like going though a rough pregnancy, or has depression or anxiety etc I don’t know), so I don’t judge the individuals but I must say I do judge the society that’s made cleaning ladies a complete necessity. It’s a luxury foe the vast majority of us

If it’s a service company
She isn’t making $20 then.
I think sometimes that is we’re the misunderstanding comes in that ppl hear the service charges $20. But the ladies are really only getting $15.
Back to top

BrachaBatya




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 6:44 pm
$22/hour plus tip. Every other week, NYC suburbs.
Back to top

babygirl




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:03 am
I’m looking for someone if anyone has any leads!
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Cleaning help for - Mamas and Papas - Occarro
by amother
0 Tue, Nov 30 2021, 2:11 pm View last post
How much did you pay for DJ or one-man-band?
by amother
10 Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:25 am View last post
What’s the going rate for a cleaning lady?
by SS6099
6 Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:05 pm View last post
Do you have an acre to plant my specific seeds? for pay/ exc 1 Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:34 am View last post
Know of a cleaning lady for me for 1 hour per week?
by amother
40 Wed, Nov 24 2021, 7:55 am View last post