Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Dh coughs into his hand and touches food

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:56 pm
I don't know what to do. He does this all the time. He touches everything, but it's the worst when he coughs and then opens communal food containers and takes without washing up after coughing. He gets very upset when I say anything, no natter how I say it, and does not change his behavior. I genuinely think he doesn't notice and forgets (yes, likely adhd), but once he's been reminded a few times he starts to get irritated.

What can I do? He is sick now- no fever, but miserable. Negative covid test so far, but still. I don't want to get sick. I don't want my kids to get sick. I can't throw out any food he touches, and I don't even though unless I'm there. And it's not all heat-able.

Help.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:57 pm
That's who he is.
Let it go.
Unless you are severely immune compromised and completely separate from him in different rooms when he is sick.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
That's who he is.
Let it go.
Unless you are severely immune compromised and completely separate from him in different rooms when he is sick.

I have a kid who gets sick very easily who can't afford to miss more school. And we have a family simchah this weekend. He'll be better by then- any of us who catch it won't.

I don't sleep in a separate room, but definitely separate beds, and no hugging. And I get sick most often through shared food.

In general, I really just have to say, "Ok, so we'll get sick?" He just says, "You'll be fine."

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:08 pm
Can you offer to prepare him the food he wants before he touches it. Or buy double of whatever you have that is not heatable, so if it's a bag of chips that he likes, or container of cut up melon, buy ones just for him and label it with his name, so everyone else knows not to take. I believe they said covid doesn't go through food, but I'm the same way and I wouldn't want to touch it after someone sick touched it. And wash your hands thoroughly and try to use separate bathrooms if you have one.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:11 pm
Keep hand wipes in every room. He coughs, pass him one. You are not nagging, you are helping so he doesn’t have to get up. Hopefully it will become routine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:46 pm
I tried the wipes thing. He gets insulted. For covid he accepts it, but nothing else. And more importantly, I'm not usually near him when he takes food. I might see it from across the house or as I come downstairs. When I offer to do it for him, he says he doesn't want to trouble me and that sick doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing things for himself.

Really, he doesn't think it's an issue. He coughs and then grabs the challah to slice for hamotzi.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:51 pm
I would be happy that my family member is covering his mouth when coughing!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:53 pm
Teach him to use his elbow.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I tried the wipes thing. He gets insulted. For covid he accepts it, but nothing else. And more importantly, I'm not usually near him when he takes food. I might see it from across the house or as I come downstairs. When I offer to do it for him, he says he doesn't want to trouble me and that sick doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing things for himself.

Really, he doesn't think it's an issue. He coughs and then grabs the challah to slice for hamotzi.
Hugs, it's annoying. Talk to him about how much it bothers you. If that doesn't help, Just buy rolls for everyone else and just let him eat the challah or buy him 2 rolls and you cut the challah. I would just buy double of everything, annoying, but preserves the shalom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette