Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you a Genius?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:22 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Not mathematical.
A. What kind of driver does not drive a vehicle?
B. When do you keep going at red and stop at Green?

B. When you are eating watermelon.

nicole81

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:23 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Not mathematical.
A. What kind of driver does not drive a vehicle?
B. When do you keep going at red and stop at Green?

A. Screwdriver, software driver

B. No idea but I keep thinking about the debt ceiling, in the red and still going and going...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:23 am
DrMom wrote:
I can't disagree with this.

I think I would bury the any balls I am not carrying so nobody steals them while I ferry one ball at a time across the bridge.

Or diet so I lose 10 lbs so I can carry all 3 together. Am I under any sort of time pressure to get these silver balls across?

Yes, his kids might die if he doesn't get there in time!

bbhem5

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did they pay $28?
Each man started out by giving $10, but received $1 back. So in the end they each paid 9. 9x3 is 27.

The bellhop kept 2. So where is the last dollar??

Tricky, tricky, insisting that the bellhop's $2 is what was left over, when it was what they actually paid!
As I answered above:
They paid $9 each, $27 in total: $25 for the room + $2 to the bellhop, and were left with $3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:29 am
OK. Here's two more and that's it for real this time.

A. There are two ants, Tim and Jim. They are having a race.
Tim likes to go at a steady pace.
Jim starts off going twice as fast as Tim for the first half of the distance. Then he goes half as fast as Jim for the second half.
Which ant will cross the finish line first, Tim or Jim?

B. Sometime later, Tim and Jim decide to race again. Again, Tim crawls at a steady pace. Jim crawls at double the rate of Tim for half the time of the race. During the second half of the race, he crawls at a pace equal to half of his previous pace. Which of the two ants will cross the finish line first this time?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:34 am
bbhem5 wrote:
Tricky, tricky, insisting that the bellhop's $2 is what was left over, when it was what they actually paid!
As I answered above:
They paid $9 each, $27 in total: $25 for the room + $2 to the bellhop, and were left with $3

Lol! You are absolutely correct. Sorry I didn't notice that you responded above .

This riddle drives people bananas!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:35 am
DrMom wrote:

A. A screwdriver? A pile driver? (Am I correct in assuming this is more of a pun than a puzzle?)

Correct, a screwdriver.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Viola

amother [ OP ] wrote:
B. When you are eating watermelon.

Correct

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Jim starts off going twice as fast as Tim for the first half of the distance. Then he goes half as fast as Jim for the second half.

B. Sometime later, Tim and Jim decide to race again. Again, Tim crawls at a steady pace. Jim crawls at double the rate of Tim for half the time of the race. During the second half of the race, he crawls at a pace equal to half of his previous pace. Which if the two ants will cross the finish line first this time?

A. Tim will finish first. If Jim goes half as fast as Tim for the 2nd half of the race, he will take just as long as Tim did for the entire race for just that 2nd half. As fast as Jim goes for the 1st half, it will still take him more time.

B. Now Jim will finish first. He'll finish the first half in half the time, and the 2nd half he's going the same speed as Tim, but he is already ahead due to the lead he built up in the 1st half.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:37 am
DrMom wrote:
A. Tim will finish first. If Jim goes half as fast as Tim for the 2nd half of the race, he will take just as long as Tim did for the entire race for just that 2nd half. As fast as Jim goes for the 1st half, it will still take him more time.

B. Now Jim will finish first. He'll finish the first half in half the time, and the 2nd half he's going the same speed as Tim, but he is already ahead due to the lead he built up in the 1st half.

Correct! Great job! Very Happy

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh thanks! I figured it was a mistake.
I will check out this book, Bli neder, thank you!

I hear what you are saying about using the term geniuses indiscriminately. I do however think people use it as a figure of speech, so that might be a legitimate way to use it as well , in addition to the technical definition. No?

I'm not entirely sure what happened to the other OP, but I think she may have felt attacked. She possibly doesn't realize what it was about her posts that may have provoked others to attack her.

OP from the genius thread, you are welcome to join us here to continue the conversation.

Thanks for responding!

Yes, I hear your point about using the term 'Genius' less stringently. I guess, I shy away from liberal use of this word, (or even 'gifted' for that matter) due to its arrogant connotation.

I also think that gifted people often feel misunderstood and possibly lonely too.

This sense of being innately different and isolated may be especially heightened for some gifted observant women (child rearing duties and mundane household tasks etc. instead of solely or primarily engaging in your preferred intellectual pursuit / domain where you feel most in your essence). When one's husband is not her intellectual peer -- the pain is further exacerbated.

In some ways, gifted men have it easier: You can become a single-minded great Torah Scholar or join academia / become a brilliant lawyer or physician, and really immerse yourself in that world with few exclusions or expectations for doing or being anything else.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

B. Sometime later, Tim and Jim decide to race again. Again, Tim crawls at a steady pace. Jim crawls at double the rate of Tim for half the time of the race. During the second half of the race, he crawls at a pace equal to half of his previous pace. Which of the two ants will cross the finish line first this time?

A. This is math. I don’t do math. May the best ant win.

B. Sounds like Jim is a good friend looking to help out his buddy’s ego. Good on him! They skip the race and go out for ice cream, and after overindulging, they roll home. Some poor little left-out snail who never gets to race anybody happens across the finish line and wins $100.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:55 am
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
Thanks for responding!

Yes, I hear your point about using the term 'Genius' less stringently. I guess, I shy away from liberal use of this word, (or even 'gifted' for that matter) due to its arrogant connotation.

I also think that gifted people often feel misunderstood and possibly lonely too.

This sense of being innately different and isolated may be especially heightened for some gifted observant women (child rearing duties and mundane household tasks etc. instead of solely or primarily engaging in your preferred intellectual pursuit / domain where you feel most in your essence). When one's husband is not her intellectual peer -- the pain is further exacerbated.

In some ways, gifted men have it easier: You can become a single-minded great Torah Scholar or join academia / become a brilliant lawyer or physician, and really immerse yourself in that world with few exclusions or expectations for doing or being anything else.

I hear you. But it doesnt always have an arrogant connotation. Of course when you describe yourself as a genius,you are bound to sound arrogant, even if you are a genius in the technical sense. But people often describe other people who are really smart as geniuses. It's a figure of speech.

We generally don't have a way of judging another person's level of genius without a formal test so when we come across a person who seems much smarter than us, we will call him a genius. But someone who is very smart himself may not consider that person a genius. What I'm saying is that in the common vernacular, we will attribute genius status to another (or not) , relative to ourselves.

I hear how people can feel isolated if they are innately different or much smarter. I wouldn't know from personal experience. But I would assume that gifted people tend to find others like them. They gravitate towards each other. Just as shallow people, or artistic people, or people of any interest will find each other.

Today, with the internet, it is even easier for people to connect with others who share their interests. There is nothing like feeling validated and understood when you find a "soul sister" who has the same passion as you, or who talks your language.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did they pay $28?
Each man started out by giving $10, but received $1 back. So in the end they each paid 9. 9x3 is 27.

The bellhop kept 2. So where is the last dollar??

I didn’t read this riddle or any of the proposed answers. Just stopped by to say sorry. I got thirsty for Peach Snapple when I saw the vending machine had them on sale for a dollar. I knew you’d understand, thanks - you’re the best!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 12:58 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
A. This is math. I don’t do math. May the best ant win.

B. Sounds like Jim is a good friend looking to help out his buddy’s ego. Good on him! They skip the race and go out for ice cream, and after overindulging, they roll home. Some poor little left-out snail who never gets to race anybody happens across the finish line and wins $100.

A. What kind of riddles do you like?
B. Who paid for the ice cream? Was it Jim or Tim? Or the snail who was $100 richer?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:00 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I didn’t read this riddle or any of the proposed answers. Just stopped by to say sorry. I got thirsty for Peach Snapple when I saw the vending machine had them on sale for a dollar. I knew you’d understand, thanks - you’re the best!

So that's where the missing dollar went!? Omg. Hope you enjoyed your Snapple.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So that's where the missing dollar went!? Omg. Hope you enjoyed your Snapple.

Oh yes - Peach Snapple’s the BEST!!! Usually gotta pay $1.50 for it, so I (we) got a great deal!

I saved you the Snapple facts cap in case you’re interested. Since you like interesting stuff and all…

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
B. Who paid for the ice cream? Was it Jim or Tim? Or the snail who was $100 richer?

I think kiwi forgot that the ice cream was paid with the hotel change. The Snapple was paid with the snails win 💵 maaser.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A. All riddles are fine. I’m just not making numbers happen in my brain for them. If my teachers couldn’t make me, neither can you. And CERTAINLY not a pair of lazy ants!

B. I was not consulted on matters of ice cream payment. All I know is, it wasn’t me. I was busy using YOUR dollar for Peach Snapple. 😂

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:10 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
A. All riddles are fine. I’m just not making numbers happen in my brain for them. If my teachers couldn’t make me, neither can you. And CERTAINLY not a pair of lazy ants!

B. I was not consulted on matters of ice cream payment. All I know is, it wasn’t me. I was busy using YOUR dollar for Peach Snapple. 😂

1. Why do you need to insult the ants? They aren't lazy if they are racing. Oh, right, I forgot they skipped the race to get ice cream. Lazy bums.
2. We will send you the bill in the mail.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics