Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o Jewish riddles!
  Previous  1  2  3 56  57  58 74  75  76  Next

keym

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:40 am
b.chadash wrote:
Yes! That's one.
The gemara doesn't use the word nichush but in Eliezer's case it was a form of Nichush. I don't think it was nichush in the other cases.

Well Yiftach was one. He said he would bring as a Korban the first thing who left his house and it was his daughter. He was not answered properly.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:42 am
Alao not going back to quote from the long list of riddles Chayei Sara.
But there's a long Rashi at the end of Vayera that basically says that Avrohom left Beer Sheva and moved to Chevron BEFORE Hashem sent him to Akeidas Yitzchok. So Sara was actually IN Chevron when she died.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:55 am
keym wrote:
Well Yiftach was one. He said he would bring as a Korban the first thing who left his house and it was his daughter. He was not answered properly.

Correct!

b.chadash

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:05 am
keym wrote:
Alao not going back to quote from the long list of riddles Chayei Sara.
But there's a long Rashi at the end of Vayera that basically says that Avrohom left Beer Sheva and moved to Chevron BEFORE Hashem sent him to Akeidas Yitzchok. So Sara was actually IN Chevron when she died.

Correct! That's one answer. The other answer is that Chazal say that when the שטן came to שרה and asked her where is יצחק ,she answered that he went with אברהם to learn
how to be מקריב a קרבן .The שטן then told her, "He’s the ,קרבן !" She didn’t believe the שטן . She then went to תלמי & ששי, אחימן in חברון and asked them, since you’re very very tall, maybe you can see if an old man is travelling with three young men? They told her, we see an old man tying up a young man with a knife in his hand! Upon hearing that, she immediately died.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:05 am
b.chadash wrote:
Correct!

Kalev?
Whoever destroyed Chevron would get his daughter. BH it was Asniel

b.chadash

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:16 am
keym wrote:
Kalev?
Whoever destroyed Chevron would get his daughter. BH it was Asniel

Correct!

(As an aside...I have heard two versions of this phrase. The gemara [Taanis 4] says that there were THREE who asked incorrectly. Eliezer, Yiftach and one more.
But there's a midrash in Bereishis Rabba that has this as FOUR who asked incorrectly. In this list, it includes Kalev.
I didn't realize this until yesterday when
I was listening to a shiur by Rabbi Glatstien. He quoted the version in Taanis. Then he said that Tosfos asks why Kalev was not included on the list...the answer had to do with the topic of shiur he gave. But when I was listening to it, I remembered that this was mentioned on this thread in an earlier riddle, a few pages back. Anyone know what I'm talking about?)

b.chadash

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:03 am
I came across a dvar Torah on Shabbos that had the answer to one of the other riddles.
The question was, who in our parsha is referred to as יוחני. ? (I had never heard that word before so it jumped out at me when I saw it.)

Apparently, יוחני refers to something like a faker. A woman who pretends to be all pious, who davens all day, but inside is really an evil person. Rabbi Tarfon referred to Hagar/Keturah as a יוחני. On the outside she put up a good front as a tzaddekes, but inside she was full of immorality.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:23 pm
Who married 4 sisters?

keym

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:34 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Who married 4 sisters?

Yaakov. Bilha and Zilpa were Lavan's daughters- shifchas.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:37 pm
My daughters teacher asked, and said they can get help….
Which tzaddik in Sefer Bereishis wore a necklace…

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:34 pm
Bump, can anyone help with the riddle above?

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:35 pm
keym wrote:
Yaakov. Bilha and Zilpa were Lavan's daughters- shifchas.

Correct!

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:38 pm
Delete

Last edited by b.chadash on Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:42 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
My daughters teacher asked, and said they can get help….
Which tzaddik in Sefer Bereishis wore a necklace…

Avraham wore a healing stone around his neck.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:20 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Avraham wore a healing stone around his neck.

Thanks!
Curious where it’s mentioned..l..

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:32 pm
Bava Basra 16b

רַבִּי שִׁמְעוֹן בֶּן יוֹחַי אוֹמֵר אֶבֶן טוֹבָה הָיְתָה תְּלוּיָה בְּצַוָּארוֹ שֶׁל אַבְרָהָם אָבִינוּ שֶׁכׇּל חוֹלֶה הָרוֹאֶה אוֹתוֹ מִיָּד מִתְרַפֵּא וּבְשָׁעָה שֶׁנִּפְטַר אַבְרָהָם אָבִינוּ מִן הָעוֹלָם תְּלָאָהּ הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא בְּגַלְגַּל חַמָּה

Rabbi Shimon ben Yoḥai says: A precious stone hung around the neck of Abraham our forefather; any sick person who looked at it would immediately be healed. When Abraham our forefather died, the Holy One, Blessed be He, hung this stone from the sphere of the sun, which from that point on brought healing to the sick.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:34 pm
But there is one in the pesukim themselves -- Yosef.

Bereishis 41:42
וַיָּ֨סַר פַּרְעֹ֤ה אֶת־טַבַּעְתּוֹ֙ מֵעַ֣ל יָד֔וֹ וַיִּתֵּ֥ן אֹתָ֖הּ עַל־יַ֣ד יוֹסֵ֑ף וַיַּלְבֵּ֤שׁ אֹתוֹ֙ בִּגְדֵי־שֵׁ֔שׁ וַיָּ֛שֶׂם רְבִ֥ד הַזָּהָ֖ב עַל־צַוָּארֽוֹ׃
And removing his signet ring from his hand, Pharaoh put it on Joseph’s hand; and he had him dressed in robes of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck.

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:58 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
But there is one in the pesukim themselves -- Yosef.

Bereishis 41:42
וַיָּ֨סַר פַּרְעֹ֤ה אֶת־טַבַּעְתּוֹ֙ מֵעַ֣ל יָד֔וֹ וַיִּתֵּ֥ן אֹתָ֖הּ עַל־יַ֣ד יוֹסֵ֑ף וַיַּלְבֵּ֤שׁ אֹתוֹ֙ בִּגְדֵי־שֵׁ֔שׁ וַיָּ֛שֶׂם רְבִ֥ד הַזָּהָ֖ב עַל־צַוָּארֽוֹ׃
And removing his signet ring from his hand, Pharaoh put it on Joseph’s hand; and he had him dressed in robes of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck.

Nice!
(I kind of assumed the teacher was talking about something in these parshios. Avraham had this healing stone and the question was why he needed a malach to come heal him from the bris...)

b.chadash

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:01 pm
b.chadash wrote:
חידות ON פרשת חיי שרה

3. Who in this פרשה was walking upside down?

This is really amazing. I was listening to a shiur by Rabbi Glatstien today and he happened to have mentioned the answer to this riddle! Very Happy

He has a whole thing about Rivka, that when she first laid eyes on Yitzchok, she fell off her camel, like she was startled. Rashi says she saw that he had Hadar- a shine.

However, there is another explanation to that. He went in to explain that there is an opinion that says that Avrohom actually did in fact shecht Yitchok (or partially shecht him). And Yitzchok went up to Gan eden to heal. After 3 years, he came back.

On the day he came back, his kalla was arriving on the gamal. She fell off because she looked at Yitzhok and she saw he was UPSIDE DOWN. because apparently in olam haba, people walk around upside down. So when Yitzchok came back, he was still upside down. (Seems like Rashi says this in the gemara.) "Hadar" could also mean upside down.

Ps. It answers a bunch of other questions such as Rashi says that when Yaakov walked into the room, Yitzchok thought he smelled like Gan eden. How did he know how Gan eden smells? Because he was there, and he remembered!

Fascinating shiur. Also he explains about the business of being upside down in Gan eden.

I'll try to post it if anyone is interested.

b.chadash

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 12:35 am
חידות

These חידות are intended only for people who feel they know Parashas תולדת in their sleep so they have no need to learn it again!
1. Besides thrashing, in what physical way did עשו fight with יעקב while רבקה was expecting?
2. עשו means ‘made', insinuating he was born complete (Rashi). Besides his hair, what other sign indicated this?
3. What was the image of עשו‘s tattoo & where was it?
4. In what way did עשו excel in his hunting over all the other hunters?
ה' עבירות עבר אותו רשע באותו יום-ב"ב ט"ז:5 (This Rasha transgressed on 5 sins on that day.)
What act did עשו do that's darshaned from ' בא על נערה מאורסה'
6. What act do many do on פסח ליל to commemorate an incident which happened in this week’s פרשה ?
7. יעקב cooked lentil soup & fed it to עשו. Bring a ראיה from this פרשה what color RAW lentils are!
8. How long did רבקה intend that יעקב should remain by לבן when she said ימים אחדים?
9. The Gemara in Sanhedrin ק"ד says, "אין יצחק מצלת את עשו (מגיהנם)". Bring a ראיה from the פרשה that he tried!
10. עשו married into הגר‘s family. Who in this פרשה refused to be משדך with her?
Page 57 of 76   Previous  1  2  3 56  57  58 74  75  76  Next Recent Topics