Home

S/o Jewish riddles!
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Maroon
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 4:41 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Can you explain your answer?


Do you agree with my explanation?
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Here is another riddle. I will translate from the Hebrew bec I don't have Hebrew font, but it all rhymed...

Because I forgave my humiliation I was punished,
And I was one of those who made an improper request,
I received my terrible punishment with joy,
because of the portion I was promised.
At the time of my Kapara, I merited to be described in a special way,
Afterwards, it was like I never tasted sin.

Forgave humiliation - he left his coat with Eshes Potifar and was jailed because of this
Improper request - asked the Sar Hamashkim to remember him to Paroh
Terrible punishment - 2 more years in jail
Described in special way
ברוך הגבר אשר יבטח בה


This is good!
The only thing I don't agree with is "forgave humiliation". It's true he was humiliated with the story of Eishes Potiphar- but we don't see that he forgave the humiliation.

The correct answer is Shaul Hamelech.

This is the explanation given (translated from the Hebrew):

-Shaul was punished because he was mochel on his kavod at the time that the Bnei Bliya'al mocked him when Shmuel crowned him king of Yisroel.

-Shaul was from those who requested improperly, (this refers to a gemara that says there were four people who requested improperly...) in his promise to the one who would slay Golias.

- that when Shmuel told Shaul about the terrible punishment that he will die in war together with his 3 sons, Shaul was happy about the midas hadin that would strike him

-that Shaul rejoiced when he received his punishment, because at that time he was promised that he'd merit to receive his portion in olam haba in the vicinity of Shmuel Hanavi

-that at the time of his kappara on the story of the Giv'onim, he merited to be described in a special way, namely, "the Chosen One of Hashem"

-that this kappara was on such a level, it was as if he never tasted sin, and he was like someone without sin.

(The question also contained a hint, which I did not get. Maybe you could explain it. The hint was "d'mus d'mus l'parshas Nitzavim.")
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 5:35 pm
b.chadash wrote:
This is good!
The only thing I don't agree with is "forgave humiliation". It's true he was humiliated with the story of Eishes Potiphar- but we don't see that he forgave the humiliation.

The correct answer is Shaul Hamelech.

This is the explanation given (translated from the Hebrew):

-Shaul was punished because he was mochel on his kavod at the time that the Bnei Bliya'al mocked him when Shmuel crowned him king of Yisroel.

-Shaul was from those who requested improperly, (this refers to a gemara that says there were four people who requested improperly...) in his promise to the one who would slay Golias.

- that when Shmuel told Shaul about the terrible punishment that he will die in war together with his 3 sons, Shaul was happy about the midas hadin that would strike him

-that Shaul rejoiced when he received his punishment, because at that time he was promised that he'd merit to receive his portion in olam haba in the vicinity of Shmuel Hanavi

-that at the time of his kappara on the story of the Giv'onim, he merited to be described in a special way, namely, "the Chosen One of Hashem"

-that this kappara was on such a level, it was as if he never tasted sin, and he was like someone without sin.

(The question also contained a hint, which I did not get. Maybe you could explain it. The hint was "d'mus d'mus l'parshas Nitzavim.")


Interesting because I could connect Dmus to Yosef who saw his father's image

So I saw somewhere but don't remember where that Yosef could have gone back in and gotten his coat but then Eishes Potiphar would have been humiliated so yes he did rather be humiliated himself
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Interesting because I could connect Dmus to Yosef who saw his father's image

So I saw somewhere but don't remember where that Yosef could have gone back in and gotten his coat but then Eishes Potiphar would have been humiliated so yes he did rather be humiliated himself


Interesting. I dont think I ever heard that. Then it makes sense.

So I finally got a chance to look this up.
In the answer, it says that the remez is in Rashi in Parshas Nitzavim (29:12). It says there in a davar acher, Atem Nitzavim means that since B"y were being transferred from one leader to another, from Moshe to Yehoshua, therfore he made a gathering - matzeva- he stood them before him...And So too, Shmuel did the same when he passed the leadership to Shaul.

I still don't know what is meant by dmus dmus l'parshas Nitzavim.
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:56 pm
Is it ever possible for a complete year cycle to elapse without all three shalosh regalim?
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:59 pm
Who in Tanach used a ma'acheles?
(2 people)
Back to top

dena613




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:51 pm
avraham for the akeidah
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:44 am
Seudos shlishit you can only eat on shabbos but not after shabbos
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:47 am
b.chadash wrote:
Is it ever possible for a complete year cycle to elapse without all three shalosh regalim?


In a leap year, you will have twelve months elapsed before Pesach. Starting to count months from Nissan, which is the first month of the year.
Back to top

salt




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:30 am
dankbar wrote:
In a leap year, you will have twelve months elapsed before Pesach. Starting to count months from Nissan, which is the first month of the year.


Bu the riddle was a 'year cycle' - not 12 months.
I consider a year cycle to mean all the months.
Back to top

holylandgirl




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
The 3 words have the same gematria,
They are part of the same Tefila ,
But we don't actually say the words


צום קול ממון
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:58 am
holylandgirl wrote:
צום קול ממון


Correct!

And do you know any other words that have the same Gematria? And can be connected?
Back to top

amother




Honeysuckle
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:12 am
Where in tehillim do you have:
A word with מ repeated five times
Three of the same letters in a row in one word
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:14 am
salt wrote:
Bu the riddle was a 'year cycle' - not 12 months.
I consider a year cycle to mean all the months.


Right. It's a full year cycle.
Back to top

holylandgirl




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:14 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Correct!

And do you know any other words that have the same Gematria? And can be connected?


No idea. You must've heard a dvar Torah on this....
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:22 am
amother [ Honeysuckle ] wrote:
Where in tehillim do you have:
A word with מ repeated five times
Three of the same letters in a row in one word


What do you mean a word with mem? Does it start with mem?

EtA: do you mean to ask where we have 5 words in a row all starting with mem?
Back to top

Siriusly?




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:07 am
b.chadash wrote:
What do you mean a word with mem? Does it start with mem?

EtA: do you mean to ask where we have 5 words in a row all starting with mem?


I understood it to mean a word with 5 mems in it...
Back to top

amother




Honeysuckle
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:26 am
Exactly, a word with 5 מ's
Back to top

b.chadash




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:26 pm
dena613 wrote:
avraham for the akeidah


Yes. And one more person.
Hint: sefer Shoftim.
Back to top

holylandgirl




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:46 pm
Where does the phrase זצ"ל come from.
Where does shkoyach come from?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 49 of 50 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Food at jewish stores- specifically Chicago
by amother
0 Yesterday at 9:14 pm View last post
Naming after someone not Jewish
by amother
14 Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:40 pm View last post
Reasonably priced Jewish maternity store NY
by amother
6 Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:55 am View last post
Jewish promotional items
by amother
0 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:53 pm View last post
What podcasts do you like? Jewish/clean
by amother
12 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:18 pm View last post