Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does my baby know im her mama?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 1:27 am
I know I sound crazy, but I dont think my baby knows im her mommy
shes 9 months. she is SO friendly with the world, goes to anyone and everyone!

whenevr she sees someone she beams a huge smile at them
she does that to me, my husband, her grandma, the post man lol.

I have a friend with a baby the same age and this baby is attached to her mom (my friend). she wont even go to her father. I heard its called 'separation anxiety'

my baby smiles at me a lot and giggles and loves playing but again, she does it with everyone.

gr82no

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 2:46 am
Wow you’re lucky she’s happy with everyone and doesn’t have separation anxiety.
If your baby falls or needs something, who does she go to? Would she rather go to someone else or you?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:18 am
Your baby may feel very secure and not visibly need you as much. It doesn't mean she doesn't know who you are.

SG18

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:35 am
Of course she knows!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:58 am
Your baby feels very secure and safe. Separation anxiety does not mean that your child loves you more, it means that they're going through a very difficult phase. It can be very upsetting for the child.

A baby's first connection is sense of smell, and she knows your scent more than anyone else's. She knows who you are. When I've had to babysit little ones who won't settle, I'll take a piece of mom's clothing out of the laundry hamper, and snuggle the baby next to it. They usually fall asleep right away.

Enjoy your outgoing, easy, happy baby!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 5:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know I sound crazy, but I dont think my baby knows im her mommy
shes 9 months. she is SO friendly with the world, goes to anyone and everyone!

whenevr she sees someone she beams a huge smile at them
she does that to me, my husband, her grandma, the post man lol.

I have a friend with a baby the same age and this baby is attached to her mom (my friend). she wont even go to her father. I heard its called 'separation anxiety'

my baby smiles at me a lot and giggles and loves playing but again, she does it with everyone.

My baby is six months old and the same but she knows I’m her mother she puts out her hands for me when she’s upset or not happy. If someone else is holding her I put my hands out she comes but for two minutes after won’t go to anyone else. So point is she knows who you are

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:12 am
Different babies go through separation anxiety at different times, and to different degrees. It's often connected with mobility -- is yours crawling or cruising yet? It's also connected to how much time a mother and baby are together, and when Mama is not available.

If yours is happy and growing, relax.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 6:34 am
She knows. Babies can ID their moms by smell. They can even ID their mom’s dirty shirt by smell.

cbsp

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:11 am
OP, I get you.

Does she go to you when she is hurt or needs something?

Does she notice if you've been away? Does she express any emotion when you return?

I ask because these were flags that we missed in our DD. We also were told that it's a bracha that she's so easy going and flexible, that when I had an emergency medical situation she didn't notice I was gone (even overnight) (and I was a sahm and she had never been at a babysitter prior to that - she was 16mo at the time)

I'm not at all saying you need worry. I'm not diagnosing either or even saying there's what to diagnose. But maybe do keep an eye on things that may be potential flags...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:52 pm
gr82no wrote:
Wow you’re lucky she’s happy with everyone and doesn’t have separation anxiety.
If your baby falls or needs something, who does she go to? Would she rather go to someone else or you?

she doesnt crawl so she really is stationary- sitting or on her back/tummy
she only cries if she falls over when shes sitting or hungry
and I bottle feed so either me my hubby the babysitter or my mom feeds her

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 11:53 pm
cbsp wrote:
OP, I get you.

Does she go to you when she is hurt or needs something?

Does she notice if you've been away? Does she express any emotion when you return?

I ask because these were flags that we missed in our DD. We also were told that it's a bracha that she's so easy going and flexible, that when I had an emergency medical situation she didn't notice I was gone (even overnight) (and I was a sahm and she had never been at a babysitter prior to that - she was 16mo at the time)

I'm not at all saying you need worry. I'm not diagnosing either or even saying there's what to diagnose. But maybe do keep an eye on things that may be potential flags...

she smiles at me when I pick her up from the babysitter and squeals but she does that with everyone
we were at my mom for supper and when her saba walked through the door she started pumping her legs and smiling

she is reaching all her milestones and I am not worried for any cognitive issues (im a speech therapist and had my eyes open since day 1 for red flags)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics