Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Losing friendships and social life because of vax status?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:19 pm
Curious if anyone else is being impacted in the same way.

Basically in our community everyone (eligible) is vaxxed, not everyone in my immediate family is.
We are not welcome to any of our pre-covid social groups get togethers, shabbos meals, parties etc. Outdoors and distanced is still ok but a hassle when you have a baby/small kids

I’m beside myself. I’m vaccinated myself but cannot dictate to other adults in family to do it so we are stuck.
Can anyone relate?

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:25 pm
Bh bh in my community and family, covid vaccination is basically not a discussion at all. Everyone minds their own business and does what they need to do without discussing it or pushing their agenda on everyone else.
Your community is a perfect example of sinas chinam. Covid has torn apart way too many families and friendships.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:28 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
Bh bh in my community and family, covid vaccination is basically not a discussion at all. Everyone minds their own business and does what they need to do without discussing it or pushing their agenda on everyone else.
Your community is a perfect example of sinas chinam.

Same B”H. My family wouldn’t make an issue one way or another. Everyone does what they decide. DH’s family is very much against it so I never even told them I’m vaccinated.

But OP, I’m not understanding your situation. Who doesn’t want you around, and why?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:31 pm
This is one of the most unfortunate consequences of covid - simply because it's unnecessary.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Same B”H. My family wouldn’t make an issue one way or another. Everyone does what they decide. DH’s family is very much against it so I never even told them I’m vaccinated.

But OP, I’m not understanding your situation. Who doesn’t want you around, and why?

Friends, siblings and their kids, parents
Despite the fact that I am myself

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:41 pm
so sad to hear that op.
I have heard people that I am not in total agreement with saying that this is the gov plan.
to pit Americans against each other in all ways. race, and now this.
I hope it isn't true but if it is its working.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:42 pm
I honestly do not know nor do I care who in our family circle or friends are vaccinated.

We are careful not to mingle if we are not feeling well and I expect others to hopefully do the same.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:44 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I honestly do not know nor do I care who in our family circle or friends are vaccinated.

We are careful not to mingle if we are not feeling well and I expect others to hopefully do the same.

Would love this to be our reality

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:48 pm
I totally understand and agree with unvaccinated adults being ostracized.
If they want to harm and potentially kill themselves that's their business.
But every single ecmo in at least one major Israeli hospital is being used by unvaccinated covid patients.
Which means vaccinated people who need ecmo for other reasons die.
If the unvaccinated can't be bothered to protect others I have no interest in associating with them.
In fact I'm boycotting a relative's simcha tomorrow bcz neither she nor her husband are vaccinated.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:50 pm
Heidi what if they have a heart condition and they were told not to take it.
or they have severe allergies....
my son was told by a kupah dr not to take it...

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:53 pm
I've seen that people's anger at relatives morphed into COVID issues so that when a relative got a positive Covid on 1 test and then 2 negatives (and she's a nurse herself) they wouldn't let her visit her grandchildren. They're alienated from her now due to childhood issues so I think it was an excuse.

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 3:57 pm
heidi wrote:
I totally understand and agree with unvaccinated adults being ostracized.
If they want to harm and potentially kill themselves that's their business.
But every single ecmo in at least one major Israeli hospital is being used by unvaccinated covid patients.
Which means vaccinated people who need ecmo for other reasons die.
If the unvaccinated can't be bothered to protect others I have no interest in associating with them.
In fact I'm boycotting a relative's simcha tomorrow bcz neither she nor her husband are vaccinated.

The sinas chinam and hate is oozing from your post. As a frum jew, you should be ashamed of yourself to think, let alone post, what you did. Everyone deserves equal treatment, regardless of their vaccination status.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:04 pm
If you are vaccinated than what's the issue? Why can't you be invited? Why are you responsible for another adults decision?

naomi2

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:10 pm
Heidi,
I am obese because I eat fattening food and I never exercise. Would you resent me for needing medical treatment ( any- non covid) due to my lifestyle choices. Do you think I should be shunned Or denied care if there were to be a shortage of medical equipment because I take resources away from people who take good care of their bodies?

To the op,
You are in a terrible situation and my heart goes out to you. You may want to consider moving to a different community that shares your values. I don't thing things will change anytime soon and it's torture to go through what you described.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:13 pm
I got married during COVID and we requested that those who weren’t vaccinated to notify us so we figure out how to accommodate having them at our Simcha.
I had a friend who couldn’t tell me that she fell into that category and was extremely non-chalant about it when I asked her directly - and didn’t come even when we allowed non-vax participate in areas.
She didn’t even reach out to wish me mazel tov, which honestly still hurts.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
I got married during COVID and we requested that those who weren’t vaccinated to notify us so we figure out how to accommodate having them at our Simcha.
I had a friend who couldn’t tell me that she fell into that category and was extremely non-chalant about it when I asked her directly - and didn’t come even when we allowed non-vax participate in areas.

It was rude to make different arrangements for unvaccinated people, it's non of your business. No wonder your friend doesn't think of you as a friend.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
The sinas chinam and hate is oozing from your post. As a frum jew, you should be ashamed of yourself to think, let alone post, what you did. Everyone deserves equal treatment, regardless of their vaccination status.

Seems to me that you engaged in sinas chinam twice in this thread. The first was when you decided that people trying to protect themselves is sinas chinam...that was your first mistake.

Now,you just did it again, perhaps you should look within before accusing others of baseless hatred.

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:

I don't blame her. No one has right to ask anyone about their vaccination status. Getting married isn't good enough reason to ask this question. Many people keep this information to themselves.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:18 pm
I know people who are afraid to socialize with unvaccinated people but our shul welcomes everyone. Move to Coral Springs.
Some people have a lot to lose if they get sick and really have to be careful.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 4:19 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
It was rude to make different arrangements for unvaccinated people, it's non of your business. No wonder your friend doesn't think of you as a friend.

It's not rude. If I don't want to associate with you,that's my prerogative. If I'm nervous about diseases you may carry then I have a right to stay away from you . Btw, I'm not saying I act this way .but I do have every right to treat you this way if I'm nervous about my health.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics