Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
I want to cover my hair
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:06 pm
But I don’t like wigs to put it mildly. Any better ideas? I live in NY and a wig seems the only option. Is this true

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:08 pm
There are plenty of ppl who only wear tichels/hats for other reasons- either hashkafic or comfort. While it's not the majority, if you decide that's what works for you and youre confident it's not totally out there.

rosesandlilies

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:08 pm
Tichels are becoming very popular lately.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:09 pm
I live in NY too and have seen beautiful scarf wearing women. The stores sell very pretty scarves and there are a variety of ways to tie them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:10 pm
Ok thanks. Makes me feel better. Someone had told tichels are “too Israeli” wondered if that’s true

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:10 pm
I live in NY and wear tichels and hats and headbands with falls. Sheitels only for occasions. And yes, I am a bit fashiony and stylin' so it's not from a shleppy can't be bothered perspective.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:11 pm
Pretty scarves are all over! You can buy them in any head covering store or online. I have a few pretied scarves that are super comfortable and very dressy and feminine.
If you don't like that, I see many women wearing baseball caps with a fake bun sticking out the back. I can't remember the name, but my neighbor makes them. Post here if you want the info.

momofone613

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:12 pm
There are many different types of head coverings. Hats, scarves,pre-tied tichels, mitpachat.... I only war sheitals for weddings. Otherwise I wear tichels/mitpachats.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:13 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy tichels, and are there any tutorials on how to tie them nicely? What kind of hats look nice? I don’t really like Yemima Mizrachi’s hats (Although I absolutely love her)

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:15 pm
I like halfasquare. Basic and has velvet so it doesn't slip.

Also for a different look check out Wrapunzel (they advertise a lot on this site Very Happy ). They have tutorials.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:15 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I’ll check online

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
I like halfasquare. Basic and has velvet so it doesn't slip.

Also for a different look check out Wrapunzel (they advertise a lot on this site Very Happy ). They have tutorials.

Thanks! Halfasquare is a company, right? Do they have a website?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:23 pm
Wrapunzel
They make the most gorgeous scarf arrangements, like literally you can wear it to a wedding.
I don't know if they sell the basic scarves though. Def worth checking their website.
Also YouTube for their tutorials.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 9:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Halfasquare is a company, right? Do they have a website?

Yes. https://www.halfasquare.com/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 06 2021, 10:06 pm
Ok thanks everyone

ggdm

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Wrapunzel
They make the most gorgeous scarf arrangements, like literally you can wear it to a wedding.
I don't know if they sell the basic scarves though. Def worth checking their website.
Also YouTube for their tutorials.
They sell all sorts of scarves and basics like headbands and shapers. At least they usef to. They have tutorials from the most basic to very elaborate.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 7:33 am
Please explain why dont you like wigs

comfort? tznius?

in terms of appearance, wig is a replacemet for hair looks, and less noticeable in non jewish society. (bank, Dr Office, supermarket)

its pretty. and makes me feel like my single years. Great for simcha photos.

at times I would sacrifice beauty just bc a scarf is so much lighter on my head. comfort.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:33 am
It’s very uncomfortable for me (I tried it once) and also because it freaks me out a bit, the idea of wearing someone else’s hair or fake hair. I’ll rather not cover at all if that’s the only option.

Maybe I need to get used to it though, idk, I just don’t like it

hodeez

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:43 am
Op I would love to show u how to wrap tichels. I live in BP, if you have any way of getting to me it would be my pleasure.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:48 am
Wow thanks so much hodeez! I’ll pm you if I get to BP.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels