Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Long Evenings

cdawnr

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:44 pm
So I chose this forum but I have a range of kids home: 15 girl, 14, girl, 11 boy and 6 boy.

Less the 6 yr old, since I get him to bed by 8ish, but the other three are always complaining of how bored they are... or they ask to watch or play on computer. I want to interact with them but I am beat. The 15 yr old is ok with calling friends but the 14 and 11 year old are not like that.

It makes me sad to see them bored. I tell them lots of suggestions. Read a book, find a hobby, draw something, play a game together.

Can people tell me what their homes look like in the evenings with kids who don't go to bed so early (and don't get any of homework).

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:45 pm
How do your kids not have homework?
I’m jealous.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:50 pm
I can relate. I was that type of teenager. Homework took me 5 seconds and then I was bored all night. Maybe there is some kind of chesed organization they can join. It will help not be bored, and give them an accomplished feeling at the same time. Like a chai lifeline volunteer, or volunteer with special needs children etc

Stars

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:52 pm
Are there any fun classes they can sign up for? Or libraries?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 4:56 pm
I was also always bored at night. I'd go walking with friends, signed up for classes....

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 5:02 pm
My 11 year old son goes to masmidim at a local shul with his friends for an hour each night. He does his limudei kodesh homework, has a snack shmoozes with his friends.

When he gets home he reads, showers, has a snack we shmooze a little and its bed time.

Girls I dont know sorry

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 5:14 pm
I have a few teenagers
10 yr old next door neighbor friend they play til supper and he goes to sleep early
12 yr old boy reads and if he doesn't have a book drives me crazy
14 yr old gets home at 7 eats, learns, reads, practices leining (part time job) really has very little time
16 yr girl sometimes goes to friend and is busy on phone also sews doesn't complain too much
20 yr old works/studies in her room comes out to eat.
Weekends or vacation I play games with them like Taboo, Scattegories also on Shabbos afternoons sometimes

precious

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 5:26 pm
They like to read or play games. Sometimes they'll bake. There are always clean-up/laundry jobs available!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:13 am
Mine are a little bit younger but I recently taught them a couple of card games which they enjoy playing. Sometimes DH and I join too and they've enoyed having a bit a family time.

Have yours got any hobbies? My DD was always complaining of being bored and I knew she needed an outlet. BH she enjoys reading but isn't always in the mood. I taught her to knit, sew and cross stitch, 2 things that I loved doing as a youngester but she didn't take to them. She likes planting seeds and tending to the plants, so that keeps her busy. She also recently started dance lessons and that has made an enormous difference, even though it's only once a week.

Do yours like baking? They could choose their own recipes and make desserts for shabbat, or cakes/ cookies.

What about music lessons or sports clubs? Maybe they'd be interested in learning a new language or skill. Have any of them got any ideas of what they'd like to do as a job? Maybe some voluteering pertaining to that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children