Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
HF autistic high school in lakewood

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 8:35 pm
My son is totally mainstreamed, never received an official diagnosis but based on the symptoms he seems to be on the spectrum. He is on zoloft for anxiety and has weekly talk therapy and in a regular lakewood school. He is in 7th grade and I am curious what will happen when I need to apply to high school. I am sure a day until 8:30 will be too long for him but I could be wrong - he's surprised me many times - I'm wondering - anyone have a kid like this in the lakewood boys school system and can tell me what is done in high school?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:46 am
Bump

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 6:31 am
Wishing you Hatzolah. It doesn’t seem there’s many options for people who have different needs or more time to chill.

I wish I knew yeshivos to tell you a place.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 8:02 am
Are there any very easygoing high schools that have nice good boys - not academic pressure? That's what we want.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 8:23 am
Rabbi Gramma & rabbi szendro started yeshiva beth hatalmud in Lakewood for boys on the spectrum. It's small and new

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Rabbi Gramma & rabbi szendro started yeshiva beth hatalmud in Lakewood for boys on the spectrum. It's small and new

If you are mainstreamed though going to an all autistic school basically kills your chances of getting anywhere in life. Seriously, because you are now looked at on a much lower bar, expected of less, and no one will want to date you.

She’s looking for a chill mainstream school. If an autistic kid is mainstreamed they should stay mainstreamed.

otstud

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:44 am
Rabbi Sukenik's yeshiva might be good for him- non-pressurizing with nice boys.

oneofakind

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:10 pm
When he's in 8th grade you can ask his Rebbe/principal for recommendations. There are such places.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sat, Oct 09 2021, 11:23 pm
Omg, OP you are describing my son (althoug mine does have diagnosis)! 7th grade, weekly therapy, totally mainstream but sensitive to stress and pressure. Can't imagine him in an "aggressive" mesivta. My "quirky" neighbor who definitely seems spectrumy to me goes to Sukeniks, and hes thrilled there and seems to be thriving.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:10 am
Whats Rabbi Sukeniks yeshiva? Where is it??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)