Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you pay annually for traffic tickets?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 10:59 pm
Spinoff of "Did you ever get a ticket for...?"

How many tickets do you get on average per year? How many are moving violations? What do you pay approx per year? How do you compare to your Dh?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:04 pm
I'll go first:
I have my drivers license for 6 years now and my own car for 5. I mostly drive local but highways every so often. Bh bli ayin hora I have not gotten a single ticket.

Dh, otoh drives for parnassa and I estimate he averages $350 a year. we look at it as a business expense lol. most of his are moving violations but he usually takes a plea and gets them reduced to a parking ticket plus fine in order to avoid points.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:04 pm
Zero dollars, at least in recent years. DH also zero dollars. We have both been driving more than twenty years.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:06 pm
Locations make a difference here so I'll post mine, I live in Brooklyn, own a car for 1.5 years, drove rentals every so often for 4 years before and have BH never gotten a moving violation. 2 parking tickets though. One for a forgotten meter and one for a pump.

Forgot to add, my husband doesn't drive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Zero dollars. DH also zero dollars.

Do you drive carefully or do you have good luck? also where do you live? I feel like place of residence matters. (dunno if it's the driving patterns or the increased likelihood of getting ticketed.......)

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:07 pm
Zero dollars, at least in recent years. DH also zero dollars. We have both been driving more than twenty years.

You never got any tickets? Wow

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:19 pm
I've been driving for about 15 years. In that time I've gotten two tickets all together. So for me, it's usually nothing per year. My husband on the other hand, drives for work and goes to all different places and there's always getting red camera tickets (the ones that they just take a picture of your car and send you the ticket in the mail) he usually gets a ticket or two per year besides that. Mostly a business expense and his company covers it usually.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:27 pm
I’m driving for 10 years. No tickets. I live in Lakewood.

DH averages one ticket say every two years. Usually for speeding. His job has him in the road locally a lot, and I’m sure he could’ve gotten many more. In Lakewood you can get away with most of it. Unfortunately At wits end

nicole81

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:28 pm
Omg this is such an ongoing issue in my house. I get at most one camera ticket a year, oftentimes none. I have one moving violation from over a decade ago. I'm actually what people might consider an aggressive driver and let's just say that I could potentially qualify for multiple tickets of both types each day which maybe I shouldn't be saying under my own name lol. But I'm also a super careful and aware driver, and I know the streets and traffic patterns very well, so bh it's hardly ever an issue.

My husband, otoh, I love him so much but his driving drives me crazy. He mostly drives slowly, but speeds up at all the wrong times, and is very not aware of everything on the road. He's the type of driver I'd yell to myself about if I were on the road near him. He thinks his lack of speed is being careful and that he's a good driver. Yet he ends up with 2-4 camera tickets a month. And he had so many points on his license within a year into our marriage, that he had to push off subsequent moving violations just so his license wouldn't be suspended. He gets one or two violations a year.

Bh he gets the tickets at times it's just him driving alone, and they're not for anything egregious. Like he'll pick up his phone to look at the time at a red light, when a cop is right next to him or speed up to a red light in front of the same camera multiple times Can't Believe It so it's not worrying safety wise, but wow it's hurting our budget.

IYH this should be our biggest financial issue!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 07 2021, 11:37 pm

Same! BH! Never had one Bli ayin harah and neither has he!

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:29 am
In Israel.
I've only been driving a few years. Dh doesn't drive. I'm a careful driver and have never gotten any moving violations. I got my first parking ticket this summer (I was parked in pubic parking that turned into residential-only after 6pm and I was late getting back to my car).

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:05 am
I live in Maryland. I have received one ticket in the 15+years that I have been driving- it was from a speeding camera and they had recently lowered the speed limit on that street and I was not used to having to drive that slow there.

My husband rarely receives tickets.

I try to drive very carefully. I try to stay close to the speed limit. I always say that besides for safety I really can't afford to pay for tickets.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 2:40 am
Do people budget for this kind of thing....?

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 4:57 am
2 tickets in 15 years of driving

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 6:42 am
When we lived in NY got a bunch of red light camera and speed camera-maybe 2-3 a year? Plus 2-3 forgotten alternate side a year. Never got a pulled over traffic ticket though

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
Do people budget for this kind of thing....?

As they say in Brooklyn, you can park anywhere it's just a matter of how much you want to pay for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics