Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean expensive stockings

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 10:30 am
Expensive knee hi's cost 7+ times the cost of the cheap stuff and yes, probably last at least 7+ times longer. But they don't wash so well. Any tips? TIA.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:52 am
Fill basin with cool water and add a bit of gentle detergent (woolite or baby shampoo)
and gently squeeze the stockings or tights in the water. Let them soak for at least 30 minutes. Rinse in cold water. Wrap in a towel to absorb excess moisture. Hang to dry.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 11:53 am
Wash by hand in luke-cool water and mild soap, shampoo or dishwashing liquid, roll in a towel to squeeze out excess water, hang on a smooth plastic hanger to dry.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:05 pm
So the dishwashing soap or woolite is better than other detergents? It's for getting stains out.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:22 pm
No, most detergents are pretty much the same, the main ingredients being sodium lauroyl or laureth sulfate and similar surfactants. Woolite isn't materially better than shampoo or dishwashing liquid. (Source: Consumer Reports.) I wouldn't soak longer than seven minutes; after that, dirt starts to redeposit on the fabric.

There is a product that claims to be made to clean stockings without effort: you just soak the stockings, squeeze them out and hang dry. I tried it: it's an utter lie.

Are your stockings nylon, cotton or wool? I was assuming nylon.

If the stains are from the shoe's dye, fuhgeddaboudit; those are there to stay.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 12:33 pm
zaq wrote:

If the stains are from the shoe's dye, fuhgeddaboudit; those are there to stay.

Yes nylon. Even if you don't put them in the dryer?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 1:03 pm
If you rub the shoe dye stains that day with water and a dab of dish soap, they usually come out.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 08 2021, 1:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you rub the shoe dye stains that day with water and a dab of dish soap, they usually come out.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry