Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Natural supplement for hyper kid?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:17 am
Has anyone tried something natural that actually works for calming down kids? My son is 5, always hyper and impulsive. The doctor said it’s too early to give him medication although I suspect eventually he’s going to need medication for ADHD. Looking for something I can give him now just to make it through the weekends… or to give him after school until bedtime because that’s when he is the craziest.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:20 am
My sister gave her DS energy drinks. Her DH was a psychiatrist, and said that for ADD if you can't give Adderall, give another stimulant like caffeine. She said it worked very well.

Just be aware of the high amount of sugar, and make sure he brushes his teeth well before bedtime.

Alternatively, you can take a No-Doze and grind it up, and then add it to a smoothie. My sister did that sometimes as well.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR! This is just anecdotal. Please check with a natural practitioner. There may be something safer and more effective out there that I don't know about.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:21 am
Years ago the health food store recommended st John’s wart and valerian root

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:25 am
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
Years ago the health food store recommended st John’s wart and valerian root

They are worth a try, but they are sedatives. ADD usually reacts better to stimulants. Some ADD kids get really wild on sedatives. It's a reverse reaction.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My sister gave her DS energy drinks. Her DH was a psychiatrist, and said that for ADD if you can't give Adderall, give another stimulant like caffeine. She said it worked very well.

Just be aware of the high amount of sugar, and make sure he brushes his teeth well before bedtime.

Alternatively, you can take a No-Doze and grind it up, and then add it to a smoothie. My sister did that sometimes as well.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR! This is just anecdotal. Please check with a natural practitioner. There may be something safer and more effective out there that I don't know about.

Yikes, all that sugar and food coloring and caffeine sounds like it would make son even more hyper. Anytime he has candy he goes crazy. Also I think he has ADHD not ADD…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:43 am
Did a little research and it seems all the natural supplements for calming kids have magnesium in them. Anyone have experience with this? Does it really work? Anyone tried Zahler ChildCalm?

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:44 am
I tried CBD when the school was complaining. It did apparently work to some extent. The child complained it made them tired so I stopped. Worth a shot.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 9:40 am
The thing about supplements is that you can’t expect them to work like a drug. With meds, you pop a pill and boom! Symptoms are gone. Supplements are much more gentle and work alongside your body’s natural processes, and so it’s really important to be targeting the right cause. And with hyperactivity, there are so many potential causes.

In general, magnesium and methylated b vitamins are an excellent foundation for nervous system function and great for ironing out nervous system kinks. Transdermal magnesium is especially effective in getting blood levels up quickly, footsoaks with epsom salt and magnesium chloride flakes are really really calming if done consistently.

Other than that, potential causes and treatments include but are not limited to:
Yeast: olive leaf extract, monolaurin, nystatin, diflucan, caprylic acid
Strep: antibiotics, herbal antibiotics
Parasites: herbal or allopathic anti parasitic
Excess histamine: an anti histamine or supplement like neuroprotek or dhist
Excess glutamate: Gaba
Dopamine deficiency: l dopa, l tyrosine
Too little serotonin : l theanine, 5htp
Inflammation: glutathione, melatonin, Chinese skullcap, turmeric, PEA, luteolin
Phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine, omega 3 essential fatty acids, cbd are other potential supplements to explore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers