Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
California

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 5:51 pm
Are there any MO communities in california for younger people that are slightly more affordable? Could be southern or northern. Any place where you can get a starter home/condo for under 750k? Looking for an area that is also warm and friendly and not too materialistic.

Ellie7

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:19 pm
It depends how much of a community you want. A true community with a shul or two, an eruv, a pizza shop, and the choice of schools? Nope.

A chabad, a few families who may or may not be on the same wavelength and maybe one school? Maybe.

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:31 pm
Only place I can think of is Sacramento but it’s not exactly a thriving modern orthodox community

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:40 pm
No- would not move to that state

GettingThere

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:52 pm
I know you said California, but if you are looking for warm and more affordable have you looked into Las Vegas? Growing and thriving community there. Phoenix is nice as well but also expensive (not quite like California though)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 6:57 pm
Op- we've heard great things about Vegas. We just have loads of family in Southern California and want to be close. Is there a young MO community there? A diverse group would also be good

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op- we've heard great things about Vegas. We just have loads of family in Southern California and want to be close. Is there a young MO community there? A diverse group would also be good

LA is closer to Vegas than to North CA.

We used to live in SF, but that was pre-kids. I wouldn't live there with kids. Maybe Oakland or Palo Alto (but the are expensive).

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 7:28 pm
I don't know anything about the community but maybe Irvine/Santa Ana. Im assuming that there must be a large enough community there because they have a kosher supermarket. https://www.ockosher.com/

Beth Jacob Congregation of Irvine (Orthodox/OU)
(949) 786-5230 3900 Michelson Dr.
Irvine, CA 92612

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:27 pm
There’s a young “chabad lite” (modem Chabad) community in Long Beach which is 40 minutes from LA. Some kosher food in the supermarket but no kosher restaurants. There’s a shul, mikvah and (an award winning) day school about 20 minutes away. You can get a 4-5 bedroom house for about $750k.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
LA is closer to Vegas than to North CA.

We used to live in SF, but that was pre-kids. I wouldn't live there with kids. Maybe Oakland or Palo Alto (but the are expensive).

Oakland is way way cheaper than Palo Alto, but still probably more than you are looking to spend. It meets all of your other criteria though.

GettingThere

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 8:39 pm
Oh my goodness no, not Palo Alto or Oakland in that price range. Once you’re spending that go to LA, you’ll at least have kosher food options and school choices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating