Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you hire a professional…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:35 am
If you hire a professional (doctor, lawyer, the like), how important is it to you that they look successful?
My friend started to talk about it and she was saying that she wouldn’t trust a professional if they didn’t look successful. She said if they didn’t have designer clothes or fancy jewelry she wouldn’t trust them as much. I started thinking about it and it makes sense. If I’m paying a lot of money for such a service I would want the best and the best equals successful no?

I never thought about it until my friend brought it up but I would love to hear your thoughts.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:44 am
Obviously you yourself don't belong to this category of experts, otherwise you would have known better.

The kind of clothing people wear reflects their spending habits, not their level of success.

Besides, there are many expensive brands with no logos.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:46 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
Obviously you yourself don't belong to this category of experts, otherwise you would have known better.

The kind of clothing people wear reflects their spending habits, not their level of success.

Besides, there are many expensive brands with no logos.

That is true

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:08 am
I would expect to that they looked neat and put together. No torn or stained clothes. I wouldn't expect them to necessarily flaunt their income. They don't have to be interested in jewelry or designer names.

Being successful at making money in their field does not always reflect skill in their field. Only skill at spinning it towards the best paying clients. One example that often comes up here is therapists. The best therapists are often not the ones charging the highest fees.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:18 am
Besides, consider the cost of schooling. Many of these professionals have to pay back loans, then they want to buy property. If they are frum they have tuition.
If they are a man, they won't have much jewelry.
If they are a doctor, they will wear scrubs.

Lawyers that I know up close have their upscale clothes for the office only, they dress very casually outside of work.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:28 am
Do you mean put together or flashing designer brands?

A lot of the people I know in those fields are just not so into clothing and fashion. They leave that to the people who pursue careers in fashion and design. And they don’t have tons of extra time to spend cruising through malls.

They look neat, clean and put together, but often not in the absolute latest styles, just because that’s not their thing. Some have their quirky styles and shtick and that’s cool too. One OB I used to see had a thing for jackets with elbow patches.
A lot of doctors these days, especially GP’s are a bit more casually dressed.

That being said a professional who looks unkept doesn’t instil the greatest confidence in me.

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:35 am
My DH recently had surgery. The Dr always looked like he was ready to go into the OR at a moment's notice, even when we met him in his office. Always dressed in scrubs.
Did not make one bit of difference.

A lawyer should look put together, I would not care one bit if my lawyer wore designer clothes or not. Who cares how they spend their money?

A party planner should look nice and put together. He/she is literally getting paid to put together a gorgeous set up, I would expect he/she would dress nicely as well. And on the day of the event, they should be dressed appropriately. Either in all black, like catering staff, or something on the dressier side, if it's a dressy event.

I wouldn't want my dentist to be wearing fancy jewely; I'd rather not get scratched by their ring or bracelet when they are working in my mouth.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:51 am
A professional who's hired for esthetics (like an interior designer) ought to dress with a sense of style. Everyone else just needs to be neat and appropriate.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:07 am
I think your friend’s way of thinking is not logical.

I go by their reputation.

Many of the most successful people I know do not wear designer etc.

They spend on experiences or conveniences etc and may not be tempted by silly fashion.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:00 am
Personally it would put me off if someone I was hiring was head to toe in flashy designer clothes. I appreciate someone looking put together and taking care of how they present themselves, but It doesn’t need to be so in your face.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:12 am
There's this doctor in my town who is very overweight. I'm also heavy and shouldn't judge. I just think its weird, like surely he knows way more than me how unhealthy it is. I know that what people say and do are different, its just when I see him I get a funny feeling. Like don't lecture to me when you should lecture to yourself even though I don't use him and never got a lecture from him ever! So I guess yeah, I do judge professionals based on appearance. Weird, never thought about it before..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
There's this doctor in my town who is very overweight. I'm also heavy and shouldn't judge. I just think its weird, like surely he knows way more than me how unhealthy it is. I know that what people say and do are different, its just when I see him I get a funny feeling. Like don't lecture to me when you should lecture to yourself even though I don't use him and never got a lecture from him ever! So I guess yeah, I do judge professionals based on appearance. Weird, never thought about it before..

Same! It was such an eye opening convo! Lol

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
A professional who's hired for esthetics (like an interior designer) ought to dress with a sense of style. Everyone else just needs to be neat and appropriate.

Theoretically I know this makes sense but my fabulous decorator/designer didn't really have much fashion flair. Smile She didn't dress like a shlump but she also didn't dress in elegant high fashion.

She wasn't frum so generally she was just dressed for comfort in nice leggings or jeans with a pretty top of some kind. Very casually but not as if she was coming back from the gym.

I notice the way that doctor's offices are kept as I think they should be clean and feel organized. I once went to a doctor on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood and I never went back because the office just looked unclean and the examination rooms just had curtains so there was no sense of privacy.

But I can't even think of what kind of clothing my doctors wear. Even my female PCP wears a white coat over some kind of nondescript type of clothing. No flashy jewelry - I wouldn't want any female health practitioner to have large rings or long nails.

imaima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:44 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Well this is so bizarre.
You don't even know what kind of a doctor he is. Why would he lecture you? He might be an ophthalmologist or smth...

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

How do you know that he lectures people about weight?

Many doctors who aren't overweight are extremely tactful and don't "lecture" their patients about weight any more than they "lecture" about other stuff like smoking. My dental hygienist doesn't "lecture" me about flossing even when it is obvious that I haven't been as fastidious as I should when I come in for a cleaning. LOL

Many good medical professionals don't "lecture" because they realize it is counter-productive. They might advise or broach a subject tactfully and leave it open for a patient to discuss what might be helpful or recommended.

My PCP doesn't even weigh patients if they don't want to be weighed unless there is some kind of medical necessity.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

You do realize that there are genetic conditions and medications, just for example, that can cause a person to be very overweight even if they maintain a healthy lifestyle?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you hire a professional (doctor, lawyer, the like), how important is it to you that they look successful?
My friend started to talk about it and she was saying that she wouldn’t trust a professional if they didn’t look successful. She said if they didn’t have designer clothes or fancy jewelry she wouldn’t trust them as much. I started thinking about it and it makes sense. If I’m paying a lot of money for such a service I would want the best and the best equals successful no?

I never thought about it until my friend brought it up but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Seriously? If a doctor is top in their field but is not into clothing you wouldn't trust them?

How exactly does that make sense???

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Defining skill by designer clothing? Seriously? Professional does not equal designer clothing. I've seen professionals who dress like the 1980s, but are at the top of their field. As long as they're put together and dressed in appropriate manner, who cares about the label of their clothing or their fashion tastes?

Also, jewelry is not something generally worn by professionals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics