Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Toddler going through something
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:41 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Where did you go for treatment?
We started with our pediatrician.

Sukarya

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Tics, noises (vocal tics?) and stutter are dead giveaways that it’s pandas (or pans). Behaviors are easier to explain away as emotional or a phase, but the tics and stutter are clearly neurological. Please have her see a pandas expert. I deeply regret the year we spent thinking it was a behavioral phase until we finally figured out it was pandas. The sooner you treat, the better chance at recovery you have.

I just googled PANDAS and it seems like it comes from strep... My daughter did not have strep.. not that I know of...
Also, her ticks were like noises while trying to get the words out. She sometimes makes noises with her throught... like clearing her throught. But the ticks were when she stuttered.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:43 pm
You sound like an amazing mom by the way. Do your research. Iyh she should have a quick Refuah

Sukarya

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Yes Pandas or pans, please make sure it’s something your doctor understands. First get checked for any strep or other bloods ... but the screaming out of no where and the tics and stutter is big pandas . I wish someone had told me this when my child was that age, we didn’t get help for yours. It was always blamed on anxiety and did traditional therapy.... Hatzlacha Refuah shelama.

Thank you so much.
I'll look into that.
I'll contact our doctor.

Sukarya

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:45 pm
You sound like an amazing mom by the way. Do your research. Iyh she should have a quick Refuah

Thank you so much. This means a lot. I really try my best.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:46 pm
Sukarya wrote:
I just googled PANDAS and it seems like it comes from strep... My daughter did not have strep.. not that I know of...
Also, her ticks were like noises while trying to get the words out. She sometimes makes noises with her throught... like clearing her throught. But the ticks were when she stuttered.
I was also convinced my child never had strep. But they sure as anything had pandas. There are several possible explanations, one is that your child had asymptomatic strep, this happens a lot with pandas kids, it’s also possible she had strep and you thought it was a virus, it’s also possible it’s another very similar disorder called PANS where the symptoms are identical but the trigger infections is different (other bacterial or viral infections). She may also have strep in her body in other places besides her throat, such as skin, perianal, vaginal, and so on. Either way, not having a confirmed, documented typical strep infection is not a proof it’s not pandas.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:46 pm
Tics can be any repetitive behavior ... throat clearing, eye blinking , repeated words..... stuttering is also a sign of pandas so if she suddenly has stuttering and tics I would check. It doesn’t mean she has to have strep. Pans- can be caused by other viruses. Was she sick in anyway before all this. Or maybe there’s an undetected strep. Get her swabbed either way/ maybe doc can do blood check her strep titers/ Aso .
You said you moved did it start when u moved. Could there be mold in the house exasperating what she has

Sukarya

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:52 pm
Tics can be any repetitive behavior ... throat clearing, eye blinking , repeated words..... stuttering is also a sign of pandas so if she suddenly has stuttering and tics I would check. It doesn’t mean she has to have strep. Pans- can be caused by other viruses. Was she sick in anyway before all this. Or maybe there’s an undetected strep. Get her swabbed either way/ maybe doc can do blood check her strep titers/ Aso .
You said you moved did it start when u moved. Could there be mold in the house exasperating what she has

So I'll get her checked out for strep, PANDAS and Pans.
She was not sick before this...
I thought the stuttering and the ticks had to do with the move, the change etc.
The house does not have mold BH.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:20 pm
did she recently start at a new Morah/daycare/school?

Sukarya

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
did she recently start at a new Morah/daycare/school?

YES!! And I dont know how she is doing there...
She sometimes comes home from her playgroup unsettled...
I asked her teacher how she is doing and shes like "she is so cute"
I didnt ask if she is cute! I asked how she is doing... Im wondering if she is okay there... I keep on asking daily how she is.. I hope she feels safer and happier there.. I cant know whts going on there. I definitly did my research and I heard great things!

Sukarya

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:49 am
I took her for a strep colture and brought up PANDAS but she came out negative and its not the issue...
Any other advice?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:59 am
Sukarya wrote:
I took her for a strep colture and brought up PANDAS but she came out negative and its not the issue...
Any other advice?

I wouldn't let pandas go. BTW my kid with pandas tested negative for strep every single time and we also lost a year blaming just behavior. The strep instance I can remember was a year ago- it doesn't have to be recent.

I would believe the "delayed terrible 2" except that doesn't make any sense. Especially not with the physical issues like tics and stuttering like you said.

Did you do bloodwork? Check for pinworms?

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:07 pm
Sukarya wrote:
YES!! And I dont know how she is doing there...
She sometimes comes home from her playgroup unsettled...
I asked her teacher how she is doing and shes like "she is so cute"
I didnt ask if she is cute! I asked how she is doing... Im wondering if she is okay there... I keep on asking daily how she is.. I hope she feels safer and happier there.. I cant know whts going on there. I definitly did my research and I heard great things!

I’d check again with the morah to see if perhaps she’s being bullied or something in that environment is bothering her. CHV sometimes it’s the adults in the environment who can do the bullying. Is she excited to go every day or did she ever indicate that she doesn’t want to go?
Also, even with the body safety talk, I wouldn’t rule out possible abuse of any kind. These can be trauma responses.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I wouldn't let pandas go. BTW my kid with pandas tested negative for strep every single time and we also lost a year blaming just behavior. The strep instance I can remember was a year ago- it doesn't have to be recent.

I would believe the "delayed terrible 2" except that doesn't make any sense. Especially not with the physical issues like tics and stuttering like you said.

Did you do bloodwork? Check for pinworms?

Do bloodwork for lyme.. an almost 3 year old I know was acting very unreasonable and it was it was that. But s/he started stuttering only after getting medication.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:39 pm
I still dont understand why were jumping to PANDAS when there are unchecked factors such as a new playgroup. If she's in school for the first time, and the school year just began, school can be really difficult even without bullying. Any big life change really affects children more than we understand.

But I know I am going to be shot down cuz she for sure have PANDAS.

Sukarya

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:16 pm
Hi
If anyone is interested in an update, or just for me to share and feel seen...
It isn't PANDAS. She never had strep. I went to a really good doctor, my daughters doctor, the thing is, no one has answers for me.
The stuttering has almost completely stopped. She still will clear her throat often. She is also sometimes feeling bla and tired. And its not every day. She can have a day when I say "wow, she's back to herself" and then she'll be back to not herself. It can change with the hour, by moment. I'm also noticing that she doesn't hear that well... She will ask me to "what" so many times. She complained a while ago that she has beeping in her ears but she never brought that up again. I thought that she was describing the fire alarm that went off the day before...
So if anyone has a good ear doctor that they can recommend me in the Lakewood area I would appreciate it.
You know, I sometimes get frustrated not having answers. I am not a doctor. I haven't gone to school for that. But when I go to the doctor and say what is wrong and they take a strep culture or whatever and say that everything is okay and nothing seems off, it frustrates me. Nothing should ever be wrong. But - I am the mom. I know my child. I know something isn't right. My daughter is not herself. The teacher says she doesn't seem different from the other kids. But I know what my daughter used to be like. I know that compared to the rest of the class she might seem fine. But she used to have more energy. She wasn't this sensitive. She was happy. She was content. She wasn't shy. She wasn't moody. She wasn't like this. I write this and want to cry. I care about her so much. I think about her all the time. My husband actually told me that he heard me sleep talking about her - that I was talking to her so gently and softly and lovingly. Even in my sleep she is in my mind.
Hashem, please help my daughter. Please help me help her.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:25 pm
Op I feel you and agree with you. Sometimes there are just no easy answers... just keep on davening. I promise it’s the only thing that worked by us...

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:27 pm
Check for fluid in her ears. My daughter had it at that age and it would absolutely drive her crazy.

Sukarya

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:29 pm
Zehava wrote:
Check for fluid in her ears. My daughter had it at that age and it would absolutely drive her crazy.

I'll check. Thank you.
She never really had ear infections. She had one ear infection as a baby... But definitely something to rule out..

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:34 pm
Sukarya wrote:
I'll check. Thank you.
She never really had ear infections. She had one ear infection as a baby... But definitely something to rule out..

She may have had one you missed. Or she may have large tonsils/adenoids. It’s just a doctor looking into her ears it can’t hurt to rule it out.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics