Home

Attn iPhone owners

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:02 pm
What model iPhone do you have? Are you happy or unhappy with it?

Pls help me decide what to buy!
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:12 pm
I just upgraded from an 11 to the 13 and I wish I had not. Its not improved enough to make it worth it. The camera is better but only a real photo person would notice, not someone like me who takes pictures of my kids, dogs, and lunch. The new chip is faster, but again, nothing to notice. The shape is back to how it was before, its a bit smaller, and I liked the 11 better in terms of shape. The main thing the 13 has to offer is the 5G, which is not really a thing in my area. The new IOS is great but it worked on my 11 also. I may change back. The 11 was more comfortable in my hand, and the other changes are not significant enough for me to notice.
Back to top

flowerpower




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:15 pm
I have an 11. Its good. No complaints
Back to top

amother




Cognac
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:19 pm
watergirl wrote:
I just upgraded from an 11 to the 13 and I wish I had not. Its not improved enough to make it worth it. The camera is better but only a real photo person would notice, not someone like me who takes pictures of my kids, dogs, and lunch. The new chip is faster, but again, nothing to notice. The shape is back to how it was before, its a bit smaller, and I liked the 11 better in terms of shape. The main thing the 13 has to offer is the 5G, which is not really a thing in my area. The new IOS is great but it worked on my 11 also. I may change back. The 11 was more comfortable in my hand, and the other changes are not significant enough for me to notice.



I agree with you. I wonder what's left to meaningfully improve the phone in the years to come. A little faster by a 1/100th of a second and slightly better pictures are fine, but in 10 years from now will the difference between the phones in the year 2032 compared to the phones in 2022 be as vastly different as the phones today as opposed to 10 years ago? I wonder how that's possible.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I agree with you. I wonder what's left to meaningfully improve the phone in the years to come. A little faster by a 1/100th of a second and slightly better pictures are fine, but in 10 years from now will the difference between the phones in the year 2032 compared to the phones in 2022 be as vastly different as the phones today as opposed to 10 years ago? I wonder how that's possible.

I would be really upset but I got a crazy good deal on my new phone because of the T-Mobile upgrade thing they are doing combined with other grandfathered in things on my plan. I guess the battery life is a big improvement. I was needing to charge my 11 a few times throughout the day. They don't make batteries to last for more than a few years. If this one had the same shape as the 11, I would be much happier.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
I agree with you. I wonder what's left to meaningfully improve the phone in the years to come. A little faster by a 1/100th of a second and slightly better pictures are fine, but in 10 years from now will the difference between the phones in the year 2032 compared to the phones in 2022 be as vastly different as the phones today as opposed to 10 years ago? I wonder how that's possible.


I have the 7
Which one should I upgrade to?
I can get $300 off the iphone 13 on verizon
Should I go with the 11, 12 or 13?
I'm looking for a longer lasting battery, and after a while the old iphones are not really supported well.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I have the 7
Which one should I upgrade to?
I can get $300 off the iphone 13 on verizon
Should I go with the 11, 12 or 13?
I'm looking for a longer lasting battery, and after a while the old iphones are not really supported well.


I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 7. Are you happy with the 7?
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 7. Are you happy with the 7?

That phone won't continue to be supported by the updates. You can update it to 15 but I imagine when they bring out the next big upgrade, it wont be supported.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:38 pm
watergirl wrote:
That phone won't continue to be supported by the updates. You can update it to 15 but I imagine when they bring out the next big upgrade, it wont be supported.


What do updates do? What would happen if I don't update?

-non techie here Smile
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do updates do? What would happen if I don't update?

-non techie here Smile

Apple, samsung, all of them - they have their own operating system in order to work. This is software. The phone and the stuff inside it is hardware. All of the companies (samsung, apple, google) are constantly updating their software to make their products work better and safer. The upgrades are all done remotely - ie, you have to download it. If you do not upgrade your phone, you are leaving it to be vulnerable to things like known and unknown data breaches (which happens). As soon as there is a data breach, the tech folks get to work right away to patch the hole that let it happen (they don't know its there until it happens). This is just an example.

Eventually, the phone won't work if you don't do the updates. You can research this further and fuller with google, but this was a starting point Smile
Back to top

amother




Bronze
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:06 pm
I upgraded from an 8 to XR and I like it.
I was nervous to change phones especially switching from touch ID to Face ID. But it’s been a pleasant surprise how easy it’s been to adjust.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:22 pm
I have an 11. This is my first iPhone, I have only had Android phones before. DH bought it for himself but decided after the effect that he preferred his Android, I would never have spent that much on a phone for myself or chosen an iPhone. However, not that I got used to the iOS I’m really happy with it.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a refurbished 7. Are you happy with the 7?


I'm happy with it, but as someone else wrote, Apple will eventually not support it. The battery drains quickly (because I've had it a while). So if you're buying a new iphone, I wouldn't start with the 7.
I was just wondering if I might as well go to 13 at this point, or if a lower version such as 11 or 12 might be better and give me more bang for the buck. Sometimes when they come out with the phones, they have some quirks. They are quite expensive.
Back to top

amother




Antiquewhite
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:37 pm
I have a second generation SE. I love that it's not so big.
Back to top

amother




Lawngreen
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:44 pm
In still using 6s
Fits perfectly in my hand.

Dont want or need a big phone.
Will hold out as long as I can.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:46 pm
I have an iPhone X and I am happy with it. I bought it when it first came out and I had nursed my prior iphone for a period when it was really wonky because I knew the iPhoneX would be a significant improvement on any model I could have bought so I held out.

So far nothing in the newer phones has been compelling enough for me to want to upgrade and I could afford a new model if it would enhance my life but it wouldn’t so I am fine with my older iPhone. I do take care of it so it isn’t cracked or dropped in water. If I lived more dangerously, I might get a less expensive model since I might have to replace it more frequently. 😂

My advice is to get the newest model with the largest storage capacity that you can afford because chances are that it will actually be less expensive in the long run because it will satisfy your needs for the longest period. There are some rumors that the next model will have a different design and eliminate the notch design for the camera but who knows and I don’t think it will make a difference to the average user. Based on the new design I would probably not replace my current model so long as it works.

The Apple computer is in a different design stage and so there are major redesigns to the computers so my advice would be different in terms of that. I advised my friend whose computer is dying to nurse it along rather than buy the current older technology or the first generation so long as she is fully backed up. Apple is changing the actual chips ajd the newest iMacs use the new chip but they are first generation.
Back to top

amother




Tuberose
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:46 pm
I just bought an iPhone SE. I wanted Touch ID and I’m very happy with it. It’s a drop bigger than my first generation SE but not too bad (I have small hands).
Back to top

amother




Moccasin
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:00 pm
6s
Happy with it even though it’s old…
My teenage son makes sure I do the updates from time to time
Back to top

amother




Kiwi
 

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
I just bought an iPhone SE. I wanted Touch ID and I’m very happy with it. It’s a drop bigger than my first generation SE but not too bad (I have small hands).
I have the original se and my sister has the new one. It seems a lot bigger to me. I will likely need to upgrade soon 😢
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Vapes and bought himself an iPhone…At risk?
by amother
43 Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:14 am View last post
by salt
Attn home owners, what maintenance is necessary 8 Tue, Oct 19 2021, 3:43 pm View last post
by tp3
Small business owners promoting "big" businesses
by amother
4 Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:00 pm View last post
Easiest way to get pictures off an iPhone?
by amother
7 Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:46 am View last post
Pls help my iPhone :(
by amother
3 Sun, Oct 10 2021, 10:37 pm View last post