Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you apply eye shadow?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:07 pm
I never learned how to apply eye shadow. embarrassed
Where is the eye shadow supposed to go? just until the crease, above the crease, how far up the crease till the eyebrows? Is it supposed to be two different colors?

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:10 pm
I always thought the darker color goes in the crease (lighter color on the entire lid) but I always thought it looked funny on me. Until a wonderful MAC makeup artist told me that it really depends on what type of eyelid you have. She said I had a larger lower lid so I only put the darker color in the top outer corner (not in the crease)and lightly brush the outer lower lid too. And it looks amazing on my eyes!!! If you have large upper lid then yes it goes in crease and outer upper corner.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:17 pm
I really depends on the shape of your eyes in terms of what will most enhance your eyes.

For example, I have hooded eyes which are relatively deep set so I don't have much "lid" that you can see if my eyes are open. If I use eyeshadow and liner in the style that women with large expanses of lids do, it closes up my eyes and makes them look smaller instead of enhancing them.

I get LOTS of compliments on my eyes when I wear eye makeup. My very "direct" friend who lives in my building is very blunt about when I wear makeup and when I don't. Smile It's good to have a friend like that if you don't have a mother to tell you when something isn't flattering. Smile

I learned a lot by watching some YouTube videos on how to apply makeup. I don't want to look as if I am wearing obvious "editorial" makeup so I have found a few makeup artists with how to videos with looks that I like and by using their videos I have learned how to apply makeup well. Not just eye makeup by concealer, blusher, highlighter etc so that it does what I think makeup should do which is enhance subtly.

Good makeup and good tools like high quality brushes really helps a LOT in terms of the end result. Good makeup doesn't have to be expensive but it does pay to invest. For the average woman you don't need a lot of different eye shadow shades because they last a long time and you probably aren't going to be widely experimenting with color once you have found what flatters you. However a huge difference between eye shadows that blend well and have good color payoff and don't wear off and crease etc.

If you want to check out a really excellent Youtube makeup person I would suggest searching Youtube for Wayne Goss as his makeup tutorials are geared to woman who don't want to look like a crazy instagram person and are very realistic and easy to learn in terms of technique.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:21 pm
Thanks for the youtube recommendation. I also have hooded eyes, so you don't see a lot of eyeshadow mainly eye liner but was wondering if eye shadow is supposed to go above the crease.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the youtube recommendation. I also have hooded eyes, so you don't see a lot of eyeshadow mainly eye liner but was wondering if eye shadow is supposed to go above the crease.

Ah fellow hooded eye person Very Happy

Wayne Goss has a few tutorials especially for those of us with hooded eyes and they are very simple and easy to follow.

It is really easier to look at what he does rather than my explaining in words but essentially you create a bit of a "crease" slightly above your natural crease by very subtly. You also want to kind of elongate at the outer corner of your eye and bring it up. But again I would suggest looking at his videos for "hooded eyes" specifically and you will be on your way.

You also don't want to use a heavy eye liner since it uses up too much of the lid. The technique of tight lining your eyes as well as having a very thin eye liner that is essentially just almost at the base of the lashes works really well to define hooded eyes without making them look smaller. If you are actually seeing mostly eye liner you are using eye liner incorrectly for hooded eyes as you really shouldn't "see" the eyeliner but it should only be used to enhance the lashes if that makes sense. People without hooded eyes can have very obvious eyeliner because they have more lid and it doesn't close off the eye and make it look smaller.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics