Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
7 year old picks nailbeds

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 12:46 pm
My 1st grade girl rubs her finger nails/pushes down her cuticles to the extent that those fingers look red/inflamed compared to the others she doesn’t touch. It sounds like she does it when she’s bored in school. Is this a sign/symptom of something serious? I ordered her a few pop it toys/figet toys to play with instead. Any other advice?

FYI she’s the oldest of 3 siblings and sometimes resents that. She is an average student but does complain the work comes easier to her friends and she takes a long time to finish it. She has a hard time concentrating when we are practicing reading/kirya at home and we have to bribe her with treats.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 1:23 pm
It’s called excoria and it’s a compulsive behavior

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:20 pm
If you find a solution def let me know
- someone 20+ years older who has similar habits

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:57 pm
My daughter 21 has been doing this since childhood.
I’ve tried numerous things.. but she doesn’t card to stop although her nails look awful and often bloody . She’s ADD and a bit anxious.
I took a class about tricchotillomania when she was younger, to learn sone strategies although the clinician told me at the time it’s not even remotely similar. (Unsure if I completely agree)

In any case, I’ve learned the hard way… your child won’t work to make any changes unless they want to/are motivated.

So until then…

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
If you find a solution def let me know
- someone 20+ years older who has similar habits

Hey sis
Im with you
Mine are much better than they used to be
What helps me, is treating myself to a mani after a few weeks of trying hard and working on my self control not to do it
As usual, Imas on here are quick to diagnose but I can assure you, nothing wrong with you. I mean, as far as Im concerned, Im totally 100% okay:)
In the winter its much worse, being that my skin gets dry there

Op, try getting your daughter moisturizer, it might solve the issue. A nice smelling one will make her feel good too

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:39 pm
For years my dd bit her nails down to a nub so consistently that they never grew enough for me to cut them. For 3 years I did not cut her fingernails because there was nothing left to cut. We tried many things, none of them touched the nail biting. 4 months ago we started constitutional homeopathy. 3 weeks ago was the first time in 3 years I was able to cut her fingernails.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:44 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
For years my dd bit her nails down to a nub so consistently that they never grew enough for me to cut them. For 3 years I did not cut her fingernails because there was nothing left to cut. We tried many things, none of them touched the nail biting. 4 months ago we started constitutional homeopathy. 3 weeks ago was the first time in 3 years I was able to cut her fingernails.

Amazing I was actually considering taking her to a classical homeopath. When you say constitutional homeopathy is that different then classical homeopathy? Also how many appointments did she need?

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amazing I was actually considering taking her to a classical homeopath. When you say constitutional homeopathy is that different then classical homeopathy? Also how many appointments did she need?
No, constitutional and classical are the same thing, they do 1 remedy at a time based on totality of symptoms/personality. This was the third remedy, second potency we tried that finally touched it. I would say they started growing about 2-3 weeks into the remedy, but took another week or so to grow in fully. This past week I cut them for the second time so it’s holding so far. We are going up in potency again this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics