Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you have in savings?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:37 pm
for all you who invest, Im looking to speak to someone and I really know nothing so need lots of help- who do I turn to? Please??? (not just to invest but also house and how to get there etc)

And because im on this thread I'll answer-
High 20s, about $25-30,000 in savings just started investing on Stash about $100 lol and dont own a house. We had a really tough few years and put all this aside this year so we feel really blessed and fortunate BH.

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:39 pm
no kids
65k savings, 20k stocks

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
for all you who invest, Im looking to speak to someone and I really know nothing so need lots of help- who do I turn to? Please??? (not just to invest but also house and how to get there etc)

And because im on this thread I'll answer-
High 20s, about $25-30,000 in savings just started investing on Stash about $100 lol and dont own a house. We had a really tough few years and put all this aside this year so we feel really blessed and fortunate BH.

Start with mesilah. They should be able to guide you.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:40 pm
Thanks! How do I get in contact with them?

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:41 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
$1M

Which is kind of funny because DH doesn't want to make any substantial purchases "in case we need it in the future" so people think we're poor and offer to give us stuff.
DH keeps it under a mattress (not literally) because he has "no appetite for risk".

So we are fortunate not to sweat over monthly bills but I feel very much lacking compared to other middle class people and I think we're so foolish not to invest.

We are similar in terms of how we live vs savings.

Live very simple. Still in small starter home with many kids. Not big spenders. Buy used cars and drive forever.
Own a few real estate investments. 401k. Invested in other ppl real estate deals. Savings to buy new house when we figure out what we want. Stocks. Mutual funds. Investments for kids weddings, college, support.
In our case dh would invest everything but I insist on having money for down payment in bank in case our dream home appears any moment (I wish).
But ppl think we are paupers bec of how we choose to live.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 10:51 pm
I am in my 30's, divorced, one child.
My grandfather set me up with a trust fund when I was born, it's now valued at over 2.5 million, I have it mostly invested in stocks/mutual funds.
I also bought a house (in cash) a few yrs ago in the mid 400's in lakewood, which I rent out, which I can flip for way higher right now, but I don't want to because I like when my assets are diversified.
Btw I don't touch my savings- I actually work 2 jobs, live in a tiny apartment, have barely any cleaning help, and am not a big spender.
My father tells me that having money in savings and having Emunah are interchangeable- I have money in the bank which I don't touch, but it gives me a feeling of security. People who live with Emunah have that same feeling of security, without needing lots of money in savings.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:03 pm
25 and 28
im a speech therapist
dh has been unemployed since june

currently living at my parents until my dh starts his new job (construction)

we have about 25k in savings.
its our wedding money and money I put aside when I was working

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:13 pm
$0 in savings
$0 income
6 kids
dont own a house or anything
I live with Emuna only

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
$0 in savings
$0 income
6 kids
dont own a house or anything
I live with Emuna only

Delete. I misunderstood

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
$200 (not $200K).
Around 40 years old.
Don't own a home, but we are rich with lots of incredible kids B"H!

This post was so refreshing! Lots of nachas from all your wonderful children!

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
I hope you’re sarcastic. That’s not called emunah. It’s called laziness and dependency on others.

That’s mean. You have no clue their situation. Or life. Or anything.

A person can work like mad and put in all the hishtaflus in the world but if Hashem doesn’t allow it then no fruit will come from it.

No matter how much effort we put in in the end it is all from hkbH.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:27 pm
Age 28, no kids yet
190k savings
300k stocks / mutual funds

BH. I know how fortunate we are. We are good savers, live in an apartment below our means, and have been investing for years.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:29 pm
I hope you’re sarcastic. That’s not called emunah. It’s called laziness and dependency on others.

we are Really trying hard to make a living. both my DH and I are working to our bones, but unfortunately Hashem is testing us strongly and we're just not making it.
We're not relying on others at all. we don't take tzadaka.
As a matter of fact, we are normal dignified people and are secretive of our situation even with the closest people.
We absolutely don't sit with folded hands saying give me.
we try our utmost.
Even if someone offers us, we won't take. ok we do accept the box from Tomchei shabbos but that's it.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:31 pm
Mrs. Brickred, be very grateful to Hashem for your fortunate luck and know that there are people who arent as fortunate like you.
You can daven for us.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:33 pm

That was rude. Do you know her circumstances? How hard she tries? Maybe there's a health issue?
At the end of the day, parnasa is a bracha from Hashem and we need to remember that. Wasn't it the Even Ezra who was unsuccessful at whatever job he tried that he said if I'd sell candles the sun would never set.

This whole thread, comparing finances.... I don't know.... seems like it's trying to create jealousy. Or anxiety. That uh oh, we don't have savings.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
That was rude. Do you know her circumstances? How hard she tries? Maybe there's a health issue?
At the end of the day, parnasa is a bracha from Hashem and we need to remember that. Wasn't it the Even Ezra who was unsuccessful at whatever job he tried that he said if I'd sell candles the sun would never set.

This whole thread, comparing finances.... I don't know.... seems like it's trying to create jealousy. Or anxiety. That uh oh, we don't have savings.

Thank you so sticking up for me.
This is so painful for me to read, as we too put in so much effort to make a living and due to unfortunate circumstances we can't make it. Seeing that so many young ones own a house and have so much in savings brings it out stronger.
(We tried scrimping and pinching every dollar for years and putting away penny by penny, then had to use it on a rainy day. There were many rainy days).
Oh well, we don't understand Hashems ways...
Just don't be quick to judge. I wish all of you Parnassa bshefa, with sensitivity to others who don't have.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:42 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
you are quick to judge.
we are Really trying hard to make a living. both my DH and I are working to our bones, but unfortunately Hashem is testing us strongly and we're just not making it.
We're not relying on others at all. we don't take tzadaka.
As a matter of fact, we are normal dignified people and are secretive of our situation even with the closest people.
We absolutely don't sit with folded hands saying give me.
we try our utmost.
Even if someone offers us, we won't take. ok we do accept the box from Tomchei shabbos but that's it.

My apologies. I misunderstood. You’re right I was quick to judge. I did t realize you meant no income even though you were working.

I understood it as no effort to have an income because of “emunah”.
Unfortunately I know people like that. Content living on others peoples handouts and government programs. Not because they can’t work.
(I’m not judging them. I know them- they’re my family).
I’m sorry for projecting that on you.

I wish you much mazel and parnassah and may you look back at these days and see how far you’ve come very soon.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 11:55 pm
My apologies. I misunderstood. You’re right I was quick to judge. I did t realize you meant no income even though you were working.

I understood it as no effort to have an income because of “emunah”.
Unfortunately I know people like that. Content living on others peoples handouts and government programs. Not because they can’t work.
(I’m not judging them. I know them- they’re my family).
I’m sorry for projecting that on you.

I wish you much mazel and parnassah and may you look back at these days and see how far you’ve come very soon.

Umein. Thank you for your chizuk, you made me cry.
My DH was fired from his job and is trying anything he can get his hands on, I am trying as well as much as my energy allows me to. we are going through several big challenges now which no one in the world knows. I numbed all my emotions because it's too much to handle. With your last post, you broke that faucet and it's gushing now.
Thank you for your sweet Brochos.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:03 am
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Umein. Thank you for your chizuk, you made me cry.
My DH was fired from his job and is trying anything he can get his hands on, I am trying as well as much as my energy allows me to. we are going through several big challenges now which no one in the world knows. I numbed all my emotions because it's too much to handle. With your last post, you broke that faucet and it's gushing now.
Thank you for your sweet Brochos.

Would you like to email me anonymously and I’ll can try to help you out a bit? I can set one up..

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:07 am
60s

2 sons in 20s that dont ask us for anything
Maybe a wedding one day

Myself and Dh

1900 in checking, but 6k in CC debt
F Stamps bh

Small 1 bedr apt

Tons of seforim
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics