Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you have in savings?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:11 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
we didn't have any until 32. Then we had 100k in one year. Using it to buy/fix an apartment and then start all over again.

How did you save $100K in a year?

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:13 am
I feel so rich according to some posts here and so poor according to others. We don't have official savings besides for our life insurance policy and our retirement fund. We're both in our early 30's, 3 kids, don't own a home.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
Would you like to email me anonymously and I’ll can try to help you out a bit? I can set one up..

you're really sweet. I'm not sure my DH would feel comfortable to take.
We are trying to keep our dignity somewhat.
I feel weird taking.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:15 am
Mid 30s, 4 kids Own my house which doubled since we bought it.
But about 60k in debt due to my husbands gambling addiction unfortunately (which I only found out a tad bit too late 😢)
Hashem tests us in all diff ways.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:19 am
Would you like to email me anonymously and I’ll can try to help you out a bit? I can set one up..

Can I help a bit too? I was recently in your shoes, and know how impossible the situation can feel like. A little help can go a long way, and knowing that people care helps emotionally. If you'd allow me to help just a bit, it would mean so much for me. And IY"H, the time will come for you when you'll be able to pay it forward too.

Anonymously, of course.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:22 am
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
I feel weird taking.

It does feel weird, but I didn't let it get to my dignity. I repeatedly told myself that Hashem puts us into positions where sometimes we have to give, and sometimes we have to receive. If this is where He put me now, then this is where He wants me to be.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:26 am
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
I feel weird taking.

I hear you. If you change your mind just bump this thread…

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:29 am
Im 25, about 40 000 in savings.
Though I don’t own a house.

My husband has his own business that has been really successful this year bh, the business is only a year old.
So hopefully ill be able to put away some more.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:32 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Can I help a bit too? I was recently in your shoes, and know how impossible the situation can feel like. A little help can go a long way, and knowing that people care helps emotionally. If you'd allow me to help just a bit, it would mean so much for me. And IY"H, the time will come for you when you'll be able to pay it forward too.

Anonymously, of course.

sorry for hijacking this thread. Thanks for being so caring. it feels nice.
I'm glad to hear that you're bh in a better place already. Hopefully by us too very soon.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:35 am
I hear you. If you change your mind just bump this thread…

It feels nice knowing that people do care in this world.
I am starting to consider letting you open an account on our behalf because we're making simchas soon and don't have the means.
Also, on this thread I see that some people bh are well off...

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 12:55 am
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
It feels nice knowing that people do care in this world.
I am starting to consider letting you open an account on our behalf because we're making simchas soon and don't have the means.
Also, on this thread I see that some people bh are well off...

I would be happy to open an email account and send what I can… if anyone else also wants to they can email it as well.. I just wouldn’t want to post anything if I won’t have where to send the money to…

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:12 am
Mid 30's, over 1 million in saving/ investments Baruch Hashem. We own our apartment in Yerushalayim, no mortgage. Hashem blessed us that my husband could stay in long term learning without stress and we are very grateful to Him. Our apartment is small, not fancy, our neighborhood is very simple. We don't take exotic vacations or host shabbos meals with fancy meats and whisky, our dining room chairs and couches are old and worn (we're going to replace them hopefully soon) but our house is full of company and a lot of laughter. It's very different then the way we grew up, but personally we both feel our lives are richer for living more simply and having the zchus of living in EY. We both work.
Our money was part of an inheritance and we use a large wealth management firm to manage it. They are professionals who we pay to make our money grow and I wouldn't have it any other way, I've seen too many people lose it all by trying to manage their own money and making dumb mistakes or taking foolish risks. We are not the type to take risks, our money is invested in mutual funds that grow steadily but slowly. Sometimes I wonder if we should take out a chunk and invest in something like real estate, but we would need guidance and like I said, we aren't very into taking risks

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:19 am
Upper 40s.
I was single for a while, worked at a great job and maxed out my 401k contributions from a young age, and it's been earning really well so I have a nice amount in there.
DH and I pooled our savings when we got married and bought a house which has almost doubled in value.
BH we both have well paying jobs and put away money into mutual fund investment every month.
We both still contribute to 401k as well.

DH also worked at a startup for several years which he had equity in and when it was sold he came away with a nice chunk of money which is invested and may be used for income for early retirement as well as to help our kids buy their first homes.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:24 am
low 40's
50K+ in debt

having mixed feelings...

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:31 am
Upper twenties. 2kids. Just bought a house.

Around 5k in our regular savings account (it goes up in the days between paycheck and mortgage, but not for long)

About 7k in assorted investments, some more withdrawable than others.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:50 am
20k in savings and 20k in stocks.

Plus we are owed 20k from someone (though I’m not banking on it).

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:59 am
Nothing. We had savings until about 5 years ago, but had to use it for something unforseen and now have none.
We live month to month. Its very hard.
We are in our 40s.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:02 am
We have millions and millions of dollars in savings, and when we will need it, Hashem will grant it to us.
For now we have thousands of pages of Gemara, hundreds of Emunah filled days, and billions of smiles just because I'm happy to be alive.

I also just started saving and have maybe 100$... iy'h will be able to add more once my business starts making income.
In my low 20's 2 kids in Israel.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:23 am
1 kid
dh in kollel - never got support but did have help for down payment
zero debt
60k nis savings
100k nis 401k equivalent
200k nis home equity

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:46 am
Mid/high 20s, 2 kid.
Kollel, no support.
Didn't have savings until Covid hit and we started getting all the grants and stimulus checks. Now we have about 80k which should turn into 100k this year. It'll iyH go towards our house one day.
Obviously I can't make cheshbonos but before we just got the most recent very big grant (for my specific business), we made a conscious choice for me to cut my hours so my husband could learn without me resenting how burnt out I was getting. We spoke often about how if Hashem wants to give us money for savings He will. And then He did. And I really feel so strongly now that if you could replace some hishtadlus with emunah you'll be a different person and you really really won't lose out.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics