Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
High Functioning ASD school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:55 pm
Do children who have high functioning ASD go to a special school? Or they get help in a mainstream school?

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 1:58 pm
My son is severely ADHD and borderline ASD. We had one year where he spent half time at a therapeutic school and the other half at yeshiva. He has been fully mainstreamed every other year. K'ah he is doing well. He just started 5th grade. Our school really offers many resources for kids who struggle in different areas.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:34 pm
Mine is in a special school that's within a regular school. So he has the special program but also spends some time mainstreaming.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:38 pm
Special school. Mainstream didn't work for him largely due to the ADHD he has as well.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:16 pm
Mainstream with therapies and help.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:09 pm
I work in a school for kids like this specifically and interestingly enough, two very high functioning kids were offered to go to mainstream yeshivas (high enough functioning to understand the difference and that they are in a special school) and they both opted to stay. They would rather be successful in the school they are in now which caters towards their needs then another yeshiva with support.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)