Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostesses: what’s your favorite gift?
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:11 pm
IMNSHO, unless you are very very sure of someone's tastes, and what they already own, give something consumable.

A bottle of wine can always be regifted. Candy or fruit can be shared with others. And you're not stuck with a THING that you don't need or like or have room for, that someone might expect to see in your home.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:11 pm
We gave our hosts a unique type of chocolate an a nice drink with a note.
Funny story - A few of our host families weren't home and so we left it on the their dining room table. At one house some of the teens that were staying there woke up and saw the chocolate and thought it was for them and ate it! B"H we had extras to replace it.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 4:47 pm
Nice wine (not Sederade).
Hand towels in deep colors, with or without Al netilas Yodayim embroidered on them.
A nice dried-fruit-and-nut platter.

That's about it. Nothing perishable, nothing purely decorative with no utility value, no pure sugar candy platters, nothing silverplate PLEASE.

Stars

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:03 pm
Books, for the adults or the kids. New recipe books go over well, if you know the host doesn’t have it yet.
Flowers, fruit, candy, chocolate are all nice.

adar

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:08 pm
Game
Books/cookbooks
Serving tray
Wine
hand towel

Personally I try to give with a gift receipt so they can exchange. Also as an allergy family please don't give chocolate/candy platter.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:13 pm
I recently gave a kiddush cars from waterdale. Everyone loved it and it looked really classy.
https://waterdalecollection.co.....shira

My mother has also done a cookbook, other watwrdale gifts, tealight set. Etc

WaterKissed

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:16 pm
Diffusers are perfect! I love getting and receiving them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:36 pm
Thank you everyone! It’s good to get all the different perspectives. I think a nice edible gift will be the way to go. That’s what I love getting too!

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:35 pm
WaterKissed wrote:

I second this! Someone sent me a really nice one came wrapped beautifully. The number on the card was 908-902-3171.
Saved it so I can remember to send it to someone else as a gift

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:48 pm
Flowers, plant, baked goods, candy.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 1:37 am
My favorite all time hostess gift was a trivet roll (not sure what it's called) that you spread the length of the table to put hot dishes on.
Also really appreciate netilat yadiim towels.
I think food is tricky- people might have allergies,or having a small shabbat and your fruit or fresh baked cake will go to waste.

pause

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:15 am
WaterKissed wrote:

I hate them. The strong artificial smell gives me headaches. But we like wine, chocolate, flowers, books, etc.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:29 am
Just read through everyone's choices and chose my own. I'd like a diffuser, or as someone called them - those smelly sticks. A lot of people like them so if you give one to someone like pause who hates them she can regift it. My favorite was the Joe Malone candle someone mentioned upthread. Please no lucite, no silver plate, no tchatchkes. Those take up space until I throw them out. Chocolate or wine can be nice, beware of nosh platters and nut allergies. The nicest gift I ever got was a beautiful orchid that lasted months. What I keep forever are the nice cards I sometimes get with the gift. If you take the time to write one that's always appreciated.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:36 am
I do not like receiving candy platters so I try not to buy for others. I personally appreciate a book for the kids or flowers. Wine is also very appreciated but honestly dh is very picky with his wines and most wines we receive are usually just regifted - but still super appreciated because its saves me a trip to the wine store when I need to buy a hostess gift. I generally always give a bottle of wine.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:38 am
We like wine for regifting and I like candy for eating--though I appreciate that most adult women apparently don't lol.

I liked the netilas yadayim towel suggestion and the Havdalah candle one too!

yamz

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:05 pm
well, there you go OP - you can never please everyone. No matter what you buy, some people won't like it. It's extremely difficult to buy a gift for someone you don't know. Some people don't drink alcohol, some people are health conscious or diabetic, some people have allergies to nuts. And then there are the flower haters. I personally hate Judaica tchochkes (like birkas habayis plaques or fancy tzedaka boxes) and most other tchockes too. Oh, and junky kids toys (like cheap knock-off brands) are really annoying. It's just going to have to be the thought that counts in most cases.

What would I like to receive? Flowers that come in a vase already, a nice bottle of wine, small box of expensive chocolate, a cookbook, hand towels maybe. I'd love a plant, but I have a black thumb, and would feel bad when it inevitably died.

What do I give? preferably something easy to transport, so not flowers. If I know the people drink wine, I'll go with that. (Even if I'm not sure, I will sometimes buy this anyway. It's pretty easy to regift.) Other times I will buy a platter with a mix of more grown-up friendly candy (like chocolate covered pretzel bites) and nuts and hope there are no allergies. I never thought to give a cookbook, but I really like that idea. If I ever go away again, maybe I'll do that.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 2:15 pm
BTW, my sister received one of those ice orchids as a gift over a year ago. After the flower died, for whatever reason she never threw it out and one of her kids watered it. It regrew this year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics