Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How I Became Jewish
Previous  1  2

mama-star

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 11:00 pm
that's a really nice story, thank you for sharing it!! I think the hebrew name you chose for yourself is really pretty.

I have a question...what hashkafa do you follow?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 11:05 pm
I could guess you live in the de vimy area?

Hadassa Avra

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 12:06 pm
mama-star wrote:
I have a question...what hashkafa do you follow?

My husband is Sephardi so mostly Sephardi minhag. We're somewhere between MO and yeshivish. Confused

Yes, we're in the de Vimy area.

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:13 am
Hadassa thanks for sharing your story, I also find it fascinating how you started when you were so young to feel a pull to yidishkeit.
I have heard it said that converts are the neshomas of those few from each nation that when Hashem came around offering the Torah, they did want to accept but their nation as a whole turned it down so later they converted.

Marion wrote:
I am, actually, familiar with the United Church of Canada...actually I think most people who don't grow up in bubbles have "some" familiarity with the churches and people around them.

I don't think I grew up in a bubble but I don't have familiarity with churches and people around them. Why should that mean growing up in a bubble? I've met plenty of non jews that have little dealings with jews also don't know much about synagogues and the people around them, do they live in a bubble too?

bubby

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:46 am
This is a beautifully-written & inspiring account. Your sincerity & awareness at such a young age is amazing, & you seem to have a sense of humor along with patience, 2 very important qualities.

Question: I don't understand what you wrote re "Mordechai Richler". If he's the man I'm thinking of, I believe his daughter is friendly with mine; isn't he Frum?

Could be I got it wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Rolling Eyes

I wish you continued happiness & much Nachas from your family. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:09 am
Raizle wrote:
Hadassa thanks for sharing your story, I also find it fascinating how you started when you were so young to feel a pull to yidishkeit.
I have heard it said that converts are the neshomas of those few from each nation that when Hashem came around offering the Torah, they did want to accept but their nation as a whole turned it down so later they converted.

Marion wrote:
I am, actually, familiar with the United Church of Canada...actually I think most people who don't grow up in bubbles have "some" familiarity with the churches and people around them.

I don't think I grew up in a bubble but I don't have familiarity with churches and people around them. Why should that mean growing up in a bubble? I've met plenty of non jews that have little dealings with jews also don't know much about synagogues and the people around them, do they live in a bubble too?

you can't compare the number of Jews and of Xtians...

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:20 am
I am so glad I got to hear your story HA! It adds a whole other depth to the person I know.

I am quite familiar with Beth El, I never knew you went there!

The amother who is in touch with 2 people in the conversion process here in Montreal, please pm me, I have a quesiton for you.

Thanks!

Hadassa Avra

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:30 am
bubby wrote:
Question: I don't understand what you wrote re "Mordechai Richler". If he's the man I'm thinking of, I believe his daughter is friendly with mine; isn't he Frum?

Richler was raised Orthodox but dropped it. He married a non-Jewish woman too.
Many of his novels deal with the old Montreal Jewish community (St.Urbain area that he grew up in). He usually doesn't paint the nicest picure of the community.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:35 am
wow, nice, its amazing how strong u were and didnt let anyone get in your way like your mother..

amother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:41 am
tthere is another frum Richler family in Montreal.
Montreal mommy what would u like to know?

bubby

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 1:41 pm
Phew! Wrong Richler!! Very Happy

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 2:20 pm
Ruchel, it depends where.
Still I don't think I grew up in a bubble and I don't know about churches.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 2:21 pm
amother, it's kind of personal, if you'd rather email me, please feel free
wormeli@hotmail.com.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational