Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Professional makeup looks better in pictures than irl
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:23 am
Is that your experience?
My recent experience is that professional pictures look a lot better in pictures than in real life- in real life it looks kind of overdone/piecey, flaky.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:26 am
Yups

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:30 am
Most pics are edited these days. So nothing is real even in pics.

Everything on Instagram is edited.

Many photographers today also edit the pics.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Most pics are edited these days. So nothing is real even in pics.

Everything on Instagram is edited.

Many photographers today also edit the pics.

I mean even my own pictures.
In real life my makeup looked Cakey and flakey but in pictures I took with my phone and the pics that the professional photographer took, my makeup looks smooth and flawless.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:10 am
Absolutely. That's pretty much what it's for. The affair is for a few hours, but the pictures are forever.

I have never seen a "professional" makeup job that didn't look utterly fake in person.

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 8:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is that your experience?
My recent experience is that professional pictures look a lot better in pictures than in real life- in real life it looks kind of overdone/piecey, flaky.

Of course. It makes total sense.

If you want make up that is good for both, google red carpet make up.

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:20 am
Not necessarily.

It really depends on what the intention of the makeup is for. Makeup that is meant to be photographed or filmed often looks unrealistic in real life. However, professionally applied makeup can look subtle and gorgeous in person.

There are also gradations of ability for makeup artists so someone might not be as talented and therefore the application isn't done as skillfully so that it looks harsh and clownish in person but fine in a photograph where it was probably filtered and photoshopped.

You can also discuss what you want with a makeup artist. Currently the style seems to be very extreme "instagram" worthy makeup. Even in pictures the makeup looks very extreme to me and I wonder why someone wants to have makeup that is so obviously makeup where it looks troweled on - very extreme eyeshadow; eye lashes that look like caterpillars; highlighters and contours where I can see exactly where they are applied.

Twinster

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:28 am
Yes I find that most often to be the case. Even with unedited phone pictures, it may look better because the resolution is lower than IRL, so you don’t notice much of the texture that’s really there.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean even my own pictures.
In real life my makeup looked Cakey and flakey but in pictures I took with my phone and the pics that the professional photographer took, my makeup looks smooth and flawless.

You may have portrait mode or some other touch-up feature on your phone camera. Some phones automatically have them on in their settings unless you shut them off. If I don't shut the feature off, my freckles can disappear in photos (hey! Who said I didn't want them?).

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 10:46 am
I agree that professional makeup can look severe in real life.

I did a lot of research before doing my own makeup for a close simchah. I learned a lot of useful tips, like the fact that certain ingredients reflect camera flashes in a way that makes people look washed out in pictures. In the end, I was able to do it myself in a way that did not look clownish in real life, and still looked great in the pictures.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:26 pm
Yes OP I agree.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 11:59 pm
Don't agree. It can look good in real life and pics. And by the way the style now is not overly dramatic makeup, it's actually super natural.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Don't agree. It can look good in real life and pics. And by the way the style now is not overly dramatic makeup, it's actually super natural.

Ye but somehow it's sometimes achieved with a lot of product.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Ye but somehow it's sometimes achieved with a lot of product.

Agreed. A lot of product is not the way to go.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:37 am
The times I've gotten my makeup done professionally always looked amazing in real life. I choose who I use carefully though. I'll spend more money to look good.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:39 am
Crookshanks wrote:
The times I've gotten my makeup done professionally always looked amazing in real life. I choose who I use carefully though. I'll spend more money to look good.

Used famous high end people…

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Used famous high end people…

I used someone who was $100 and it was amazing.

kenz

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:13 am
zaq wrote:
Absolutely. That's pretty much what it's for. The affair is for a few hours, but the pictures are forever.

I have never seen a "professional" makeup job that didn't look utterly fake in person.

I have. More than once. You have to ask the makeup artist for a natural look. It looked amazing in real life and in pictures. More than once.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:46 am
My experience:
Four simchas. Three cities. Four different artists. ( Sounds like rom-com movie title.) Asked every one for a natural, “like me only better” look. No smoky eyes, please, tyvm.
Got the same garish, phony, overdone look every time. My ds saw me after my face was done the first time and asked “RU my mother?”

Never again.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
My experience:
Four simchas. Three cities. Four different artists. ( Sounds like rom-com movie title.) Asked every one for a natural, “like me only better” look. No smoky eyes, please, tyvm.
Got the same garish, phony, overdone look every time. My ds saw me after my face was done the first time and asked “RU my mother?”

Never again.

No, you are a Snort. 😂
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics