Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you a care manager?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Red

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone work for Rayim? I’m curious how the different agencies compare... Also, is care management for OPWDD different than for people without OPWDD (with the 2 qualifying factors such abs mental/health issues)? Thanks!

Rayim is a service provider, I don't believe they have care managers working for them.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:35 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Rayim is a service provider, I don't believe they have care managers working for them.

Correct
They have service coordinators

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:21 am
How many hours a day/week to you spend on the phone? This can be either with clients or the service providers you are trying to coordinate services with? Do you need to have the majority of your hours be during regular business hours or could you put time in during the evenings as well?

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:33 am
Is it possible to work remotely? I have a MS in education/special education (from CUNY) and I would love to work in the field but don't live in the US.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:06 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
How many hours a day/week to you spend on the phone? This can be either with clients or the service providers you are trying to coordinate services with? Do you need to have the majority of your hours be during regular business hours or could you put time in during the evenings as well?

It's a lot of phone time. Especially these days as all meetings are still virtual. We haven't been allowed to go back to face-to-face meetings yet. I can sometimes spend 3 hours a day on the phone altogether. But I do put in hours at night because it's easier to reach the kids in the evenings to say hi when they're doing homework or playing with toys, and we're required to say hi to the kids in order to bill. However, I'm told that some care managers are careful about not working at night.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:08 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Is it possible to work remotely? I have a MS in education/special education (from CUNY) and I would love to work in the field but don't live in the US.

We are still working from home since the start of Covid. I'm not sure about being out of the country, though. You'd have to ask.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:31 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
We are still working from home since the start of Covid. I'm not sure about being out of the country, though. You'd have to ask.

Thank you. How many hours a week do you work?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:52 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Thank you. How many hours a week do you work?

My pleasure! Around 25.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:59 am
I was told that it is now mandatory to have a face to face monthly visit in order to bill!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:09 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I was told that it is now mandatory to have a face to face monthly visit in order to bill!

Correct, it was always mandatory; however, these days, a face to face meeting is virtual. So a phone call or video call with the actual client (not their caregiver) is considered face to face.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:29 am
Is a care manager the same as a service coordinator? If not, can you explain the difference?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:41 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Is a care manager the same as a service coordinator? If not, can you explain the difference?

Sure, so there are no longer service coordinators in the development disabilities field. There used to be service coordinators at every service provider agency (Hamaspik, Rayim, HASC) but OPWDD found that agencies were biased in their placement of individuals because Rayim service coordinators convinced people to use Rayim services etc., regardless of what was actually best for the individual. So OPWDD created a new system with six or seven (not sure the exact number) CCOs, Care Coordination Organizations, in New York. These CCOs emply care managers who do the job that service coordinators used to do in the past, except this time they are fair in their placement of individuals and can set people up with services at providers that actually serve them best.

mom291

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:21 pm
Bump

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 3:54 pm
I am also curious how much do care managers make? and what is the difference between care and case managers?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:00 pm
I am a care manager for a childrens health home. I get paid per client, not per hour. I work approximately 25 hours a week, it’s become very tedious filled with paperwork and assessments etc. Face to face encounters must be in person and it has been this way since the summer. I personally have a masters degree but you only need a bachelors to be a CM. If you take on only low acuity cases (which there aren’t many of since you need to be higher to get HCBS) then you don’t even need a BA.
Did I miss any questions?
I love my job and love working with the families.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:07 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I am a care manager for a childrens health home. I get paid per client, not per hour. I work approximately 25 hours a week, it’s become very tedious filled with paperwork and assessments etc. Face to face encounters must be in person and it has been this way since the summer. I personally have a masters degree but you only need a bachelors to be a CM. If you take on only low acuity cases (which there aren’t many of since you need to be higher to get HCBS) then you don’t even need a BA.
Did I miss any questions?
I love my job and love working with the families.

what type of training do you need?
if it's per client how busy per client are you to know when to add more ( for pay)
what type paperwork-do you have to write well
thanks for responding

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 5:12 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
what type of training do you need?
if it's per client how busy per client are you to know when to add more ( for pay)
what type paperwork-do you have to write well
thanks for responding

The training came along with the job. The first month, I needed to do a few trainings online and was paid per hour. The second month I got five cases and was trained very hands on by my supervisor. The subsequent months I already had the basics and got better slowly. Each client is individual and needs different things each month so it varies per month but I’d say average 5-6 hours per month per client. You don’t need to write well but you need a command of the English language with basic bachelor level writing. You need to write professionally, but nothing too elaborate. Basically your progress notes. And you are only allowed to receive a certain amount of cases (usually 20) so that’s usually the max you can do.

mom291

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 5:24 pm
Any agencies looking for care managers? I have BA

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 5:34 pm
mom291 wrote:
Any agencies looking for care managers? I have BA

Try Hamaspik, HCS, Mount Resources, Pesach Tikvah,

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 5:36 pm
Tricounty is looking. They pay $35 an hour and there’s not really room for growth. 35 hours a week is full caseload. Most other children health home care management agencies aren’t hiring now due to many new requirements which is restricting growth, if not cutting it. Good luck
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics