Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 28 month old is getting speech therapy behind my back
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:37 am
He wasnt talking at all last year so I had him evalated. He got approved for speech and ot I didnt want him to get pulled out of playgroup because I knew he wouldnt like being singled out. so I did it at home this year the place said their trying to find someone for me but theyr haveing a hard time so at the moment hes haveing nothing. yesterday I picked him up and the teacher mentioned that he had fun with this teacher leah when I asked her whose that she said the speech therapist what would you do in a case like this?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:38 am
You need more information.

I don’t think it’s legal to give a child therapy without parental consent.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:41 am
I would tell the teacher that ur child cannot be pulled out of class until the therapist contacts you and u make sure ur both on the same page.

The city basically gives the agencies they contract with a list of approved cases and the agency sends them into the schools. However, any therapist working with your child, especially so young, should be in contact with you, at the very least by notebook with comments sent back and forth

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:54 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
I would tell the teacher that ur child cannot be pulled out of class until the therapist contacts you and u make sure ur both on the same page.

The city basically gives the agencies they contract with a list of approved cases and the agency sends them into the schools. However, any therapist working with your child, especially so young, should be in contact with you, at the very least by notebook with comments sent back and forth
I would but I never knew this therapist existed till now. Im that mother who did a backround check on everyone my son was left alone with.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:17 am
Anyone else? I really need advice

familyfirst

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:23 am
Does your child need speech therapy? Does he seem happy at preschool? So why fight it? Let him get the services he needs?

Still don’t think it’s right to give a child therapy behind the parents back…

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:34 am
Something is off.
Every time I wanted to change therapists I had to sign a change of service form.

salt

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:34 am
I would be upset that they did it behind my back.

But on the other hand, I don't think a 2 year old will feel bad for being taken out of class for speech therapy. If anything, it's considered a treat when the kids get taken out for special attention.

We're not talking about a 10 year old being taken out of class and all the kids know that he still doesn't know how to read.

He's 2. Take all the help you can get. It sounds great. Even though they didn't go through the right channels, now that you know, you can keep up to date with how the speech therapist is working, and help him at home with her guidance.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 1:59 am
It’s weird because you have to sign things and they contact you directly usually. Like if you were using an agency why would they even have the playgroup address? Who is in charge of the playgroup? I would say I don’t know who leah is, who set this up?

ima22

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:47 am
Maybe your husband gave consent and arranged for this to happen in playgroup

Miri1

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:46 am
Definitely odd sounding - I wonder if it is a student therapist who did a one time session?
It's also possible that the therapist is working with a different kid, and alternates pulling out his friends along with him to enhance the social aspect of the therapy - I know this happened at my son's school.

But aside from the oddness, I don't see why a 28 month old would be upset to be pulled out.
While there are benefits to receiving therapy with the mother present (it makes carryover much easier), it sounds like the process got stalled because of your request to have it done at home.
So why not let him get started at playgroup? This way the ball is rolling, and he's getting his therapy.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:21 am
First of all, 99% of 2 year olds are happy to work one on one with someone. The average therapist will work with them in a fun environment while playing.
For sure they shouldn’t do it without your consent

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:40 am
I had a similar situation where my child (pre1A) was being pulled out and being evaluated by the resource room teacher without my permission. I came into school (unannounced) and confronted the teacher and told her that they should stop pulling out my child. While I was there I asked her to show me the test results which happened to be excellent. They were looking for an excuse to keep my child back because she was the youngest in the class and because I came in they didn't have time to make up some convincing report otherwise.

I would go into the school and speak to the principal/teacher right away. You need an explanation and to make it clear that you child isn't allowed to see any therapist or student teacher inside or outside the classroom without your signed consent.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:07 am
Wow, I'd be steaming at first, too.

Deep breaths.

The first step is to calmly gather information.

Who is this person, how is she visiting this playgroup, how did she come to spend time with your DS? Get all the facts.

The second step is to think carefully about what you learned. Did anyone do something they shouldn't? Is it worth a conversation with the appropriate people letting them know how you feel (and about the legality) about something being arranged without your permission? Definitely.

Is it also worth trying to find a different playgroup at this point in the year? Are there better options? What if, on due consideration, the actual result is good (DS likes this person, and benefits from her help)?

FWIW, I think it is very much in a young 2 year old's best interest to have speech and OT in playgroup if there's not anyone available outside of playgroup time. He ends up missing out a lot less in the long run, because he'll have the tools to make better social connection. Please talk to other parents in this situation, you may find a lot of people agree with me on this.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
Something is off.
Every time I wanted to change therapists I had to sign a change of service form.

Not when it's a new school year. No change of service required.

The therapist should have called you. His teachers would have assumed the therapist started with your consent. So I assume the teachers are not to blame. You can also call the agency and explain what happened.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:20 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Not when it's a new school year. No change of service required.

The therapist should have called you. His teachers would have assumed the therapist started with your consent. So I assume the teachers are not to blame. You can also call the agency and explain what happened.

I just checked.
The form to start is "consent to begin services" at opposed to "consent to change"...

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:24 am
The therapist is supposed to contact you before starting to work with you child. Please ask her directly why she didn't speak to you.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:27 am
Miri1 wrote:
Definitely odd sounding - I wonder if it is a student therapist who did a one time session?
It's also possible that the therapist is working with a different kid, and alternates pulling out his friends along with him to enhance the social aspect of the therapy - I know this happened at my son's school.

My daughter 100% was not a candidate for therapy in any form, but all the therapists who used to visit her playgroup used her as a peer model so she got lots of small group time.

bsy

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:42 am
Its odd. I'm a therapist and would never begin seeing a child without speaking to a parent first.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:42 am
Sounds like a case of mistaken identity?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics