Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 28 month old is getting speech therapy behind my back
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He wasnt talking at all last year so I had him evalated. He got approved for speech and ot I didnt want him to get pulled out of playgroup because I knew he wouldnt like being singled out. so I did it at home this year the place said their trying to find someone for me but theyr haveing a hard time so at the moment hes haveing nothing. yesterday I picked him up and the teacher mentioned that he had fun with this teacher leah when I asked her whose that she said the speech therapist what would you do in a case like this?

you said the place said they're trying to find someone for you but they were having a hard time. maybe that was true at the time they said it but then they found someone who started. they did tell you they were looking for someone. so they found someone. congratulations.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:25 pm
Why are you ok with ot but not speech? Can you request the speech therapist to try to be a push in as opposed to pull
Out?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:00 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
Why are you ok with ot but not speech? Can you request the speech therapist to try to be a push in as opposed to pull
Out?
im not ok with the ot because she doesnt want to do it in the classroom

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:25 pm
I am a playgroup morah. In NY, the parent, the provider(morah) and the therapist must sign a consent form before the therapist sees any child. No other child may be taken out of the room except for the one named on the consent form. This sounds very strange to me.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:05 pm
The same thing just happened with my dc. A therapist called me to tell me she started working with my dc. I didn't know any of this until afterwards. I'm wondering if they're in the same place our kids with the same director.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:11 pm
Don’t know what agencies these therapists are working for. However, I’m a therapist and the very first step even before seeing the child is calling the parents to introduce yourself hear what their concerns are.
My child also gets services and he hasn’t started until the therapist called me to let me know. If anyone would start without notifying me I would be concerned about the therapist sorry it’s not a normal thing!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Don’t know what agencies these therapists are working for. However, I’m a therapist and the very first step even before seeing the child is calling the parents to introduce yourself hear what their concerns are.
My child also gets services and he hasn’t started until the therapist called me to let me know. If anyone would start without notifying me I would be concerned about the therapist sorry it’s not a normal thing!

I am also concerned about the Morah

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
The same thing just happened with my dc. A therapist called me to tell me she started working with my dc. I didn't know any of this until afterwards. I'm wondering if they're in the same place our kids with the same director.
where do you live? This is in wiliamsaurg.

gilamom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:09 pm
How? The therapist can start without you giving her the IEP form? Could it be she saw the wrong child, does yours have a common name that sounds like someone else in the playgroup?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I am a playgroup morah. In NY, the parent, the provider(morah) and the therapist must sign a consent form before the therapist sees any child. No other child may be taken out of the room except for the one named on the consent form. This sounds very strange to me.

I'm a playgroup Morah in NY as well. I've never heard of this from any of the therapists that have come to me. The only thing that happens is the mother texts me if it's ok if the therapist comes and we schedule a time. If a therapist texted me and said hi I'm Moishy's speech therapist is it ok if I come on Mondays at 3 I wouldn't think twice. All Id think was that the parent gave her my number. At the end of the session I sign for them but the parent is not involved.

Lesson learned from this thread though that if that ever does happen to me I should double check with the parents!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:21 pm
Just wondering if OP was able to confirm anything with the therapist. Perhaps the morah made a mistake and it was another kid that went out with the speech therapist. If this was my kid, the first phone call that I would make would be to the speech therapist to find out whats going on, if anything is going on at all.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:29 pm
Was this perhaps an evaluation? To see what the child is up to developmentally? I have never heard of a therapist not contacting the parent before beginning services. I have 3 kids getting services, each year they all call to get consent, ask if I had particular concerns. But I do agree that all little kids love the attention. Although my son wouldn't go out of the room because he was worried he would miss out on classroom activities, they ended up doing joint sessions with another kid who needed speech. Ask for the therapists' number to find out what's going on.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:40 pm
Not commenting on therapist not calling because you heard plenty. But, as far a such young kids, some need time to get to know the therapist. I would have no problem telling your child that I spoke with mommy and my name is morah ____. There are times I would carry the child to my therapy room. I mean come on. Your child needs more time than many other kids to get used to new people. Trust the therapeutic process. Your kid will be ok and relax. 28 months is practically a big baby.

amother
Jasmine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:00 am
I’ve worked for many agencies as an EI provider and unfortunately have come across many situations that were not ‘kosher’. Some therapists backdate and play around with session lengths. If any therapist would see a child without parental consent , you don’t know what other shtick they are doing. I’m all for the speech therapy if needed, but not with this therapist.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:15 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm a playgroup Morah in NY as well. I've never heard of this from any of the therapists that have come to me. The only thing that happens is the mother texts me if it's ok if the therapist comes and we schedule a time. If a therapist texted me and said hi I'm Moishy's speech therapist is it ok if I come on Mondays at 3 I wouldn't think twice. All Id think was that the parent gave her my number. At the end of the session I sign for them but the parent is not involved.

Lesson learned from this thread though that if that ever does happen to me I should double check with the parents!

Are you a legal playgroup Morah? Also are you on NYC? Either or both might make a difference.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:36 am

I have children receiving services in NYC and I have never signed a consent form for a particular therapist. I give verbal consent over the phone before she starts.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:37 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
If you were concerned about your son's speech and had previously requested a therapist, and had signed consent for that, it is possible that the speech therapist was coming in to do an assessment. Where I live and I work in a school, the procedure is the child is referred for speech therapy, the parent signs a consent form. Then when the therapist comes in, they will see the consent form and do an assessment on the child. This might be a few sessions, depending on their co-operation. Once the assessment is completed, the therapist will usually feedback to both the class teacher and the parents explaining the targets and giving a programme to follow.
Op, I would clarify with the class teacher what is going on before getting worked up.

An evaluator should not either be seeing a child without consent.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

If you are legal, as I am, you must have the parent, the therapist and yourself fill out a form for each therapists that takes a child out of your view. You can find the form on the OCFS website. If you get inspected and get caught without doing this it will be considered a very serious violation. If you are not legal, no worries!

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:39 am
If you are legal, as I am, you must have the parent, the therapist and yourself fill out a form for each therapists that takes a child out of your view. You can find the form on the OCFS website. If you get inspected and get caught without doing this it will be considered a very serious violation. If you are not legal, no worries!

Not all the therapists take the kids out of view... My old daycare had a large basement and the therapists used the half near the laundry room, but still totally visible

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:00 am
Then no need for consent but of course must sign in on program tracker
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics