Home

Monthly Investment Options

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Conscience




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:46 pm
What are my options for investing on a monthly basis? I'd like to invest part of my monthly earnings. Are there such investment options?
Back to top

amother




Dahlia
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:50 pm
following
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 2:57 pm
Save for a down payment on a property. Rent out the property to pay the mortgage. After that rent goes to your pocket and you own the property. Rinse, repeat.
Back to top

amother




Lightgray
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:08 pm
We have money taken automatically out of our savings account and invested in mutual funds monthly.
We set this up with fincial advisor.
Doing it monthly is nice bec you buy on highs and lows. We put in multiple accounts for our kids
Doing it automatically is like the money isn’t there.

If you are saving toward a goal some banks will move money to sep account each month.

If you don’t have retirement account you can put in retirement account and save on taxes. Can also do automatically.
Back to top

amother




Lightgray
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:13 pm
bruriyah wrote:
Save for a down payment on a property. Rent out the property to pay the mortgage. After that rent goes to your pocket and you own the property. Rinse, repeat.


We’ve done this many times. It isn’t passive income. It takes work. Ppl don’t pay. It’s a great idea for some. And you first need to save down payment. It’s not so simplistic.

And home prices are historically high. It’s not the best time.

I wouldn’t start there doe monthly saving.
Back to top

Conscience




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:23 pm
I got the feeling (after reading many finances posts) that letting money sit around is stupid. I don't want to wait for my saving to accumulate until I have money to lay down a down payment (I'm living in my own apartment already, so that's cleared)
Back to top

amother




Lightgray
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 3:37 pm
Conscience wrote:
I got the feeling (after reading many finances posts) that letting money sit around is stupid. I don't want to wait for my saving to accumulate until I have money to lay down a down payment (I'm living in my own apartment already, so that's cleared)


If you plan on using your savings soon - like saving to buy a home within the year then investing the money isn’t so smart. There will be some fee or percentage taken off when investing and short term it’s impossible to know how market will go.

If investing long term like kids wedding, college, retirement then it would be smart not to leave the money in a reg bank account.
Back to top

amother




Bone
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 7:45 pm
Cryptocurrencies. They're the future. Happy to explain more on a personal level, if you're interested. My husband is a Cryptocurrency Financial Advisor and creates portfolios.
Back to top

amother




DarkCyan
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:00 pm
I’ve seen oak wood financial advertised.
Back to top

bruriyah




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:02 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
We’ve done this many times. It isn’t passive income. It takes work. Ppl don’t pay. It’s a great idea for some. And you first need to save down payment. It’s not so simplistic.

And home prices are historically high. It’s not the best time.

I wouldn’t start there doe monthly saving.


Agree, it’s not fully passive. It’s a lot of work upfront and then usually just maintenance. But it is a fairly reliable form of investment.
Back to top

amother




Lightgray
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
I’ve seen oak wood financial advertised.


That is who we use for Roth and monthly mutual fund savings.
He doesn’t charge.
Back to top

doctorima




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:27 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
That is who we use for Roth and monthly mutual fund savings.
He doesn’t charge.


I don't know anything about Oakwood Financial, so this is nothing personal against them, but I guarantee that nobody is doing this as a chesed project, and they are all making money from it one way or another.

If you're not paying them directly, they are getting it in another way, most likely by putting your money into load funds that take a percentage out of your investment (the load, typically around 5%) and give a lot of it as a kickback to the advisor who recommended the fund to you.

This happened to a relative of mine who went to a non-frum financial advisor who claimed that he was doing a favor and not charging her anything, then put all her money in extremely expensive load funds without disclosing it to her at all. If someone claims they're not charging you, ask how they're making their money, which you have a right to know.


Last edited by doctorima on Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Peony
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
Cryptocurrencies. They're the future. Happy to explain more on a personal level, if you're interested. My husband is a Cryptocurrency Financial Advisor and creates portfolios.


With all due respect to your husband I very strongly disagree and so do most financial experts across the board.

Cryptos are severely volatile, have no proven track record of more than a few years and no one can actually accurately predict what the future holds for them.
They aren’t managed or fully backed. Even the ones that are, a small blip can crash them out completely. You can lose everything in a minute. Stocks, mutual funds, real estate are so much more stable, predictable and proven.

There are many people who really did do well with crypto through sheer luck of getting in early and not selling too early, but many more have lost so much money in the hype.

I have quite some money invested in crypto Bec I’m already diversified and can afford to lose that money. I went into it knowing it’s a gamble.
Some have lost a lot and some have made some money. But for a first time investor with limited funds to invest I say stay far away from crypto
Back to top

amother




Lightgray
 

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:28 pm
doctorima wrote:
I don't know anything about Oakwood Financial, so this is nothing personal against them, but I guarantee that nobody is doing this as a chesed project, and they are all making money from it one way or another.

If you're not paying them directly, they are getting it in another way, most likely by putting your money into load funds that take a percentage out of your investment (the load, typically around 5%) and give a lot of it as a kickback to the advisor who recommended the fund to you.

This happened to a relative of mine who went to a non-frum financial advisor who claimed that he was doing a favor and not charging her anything, then put all her money in extremely expensive load funds without disclosing it to her at all. If someone claims they're not charging you, ask how they're making their money, which you have a right to know.


You are correct. We do pay a percentage on every investment.
He does get a kick back.
He is upfront with us about it and explained it the first meeting.
The fees we are charged are inline with what we would pay any way we would do it.
We are in very standard reliable funds like vanguard, vankampen, American funds.
Back to top

amother




Bone
 

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:03 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
With all due respect to your husband I very strongly disagree and so do most financial experts across the board.

Cryptos are severely volatile, have no proven track record of more than a few years and no one can actually accurately predict what the future holds for them.
They aren’t managed or fully backed. Even the ones that are, a small blip can crash them out completely. You can lose everything in a minute. Stocks, mutual funds, real estate are so much more stable, predictable and proven.

There are many people who really did do well with crypto through sheer luck of getting in early and not selling too early, but many more have lost so much money in the hype.

I have quite some money invested in crypto Bec I’m already diversified and can afford to lose that money. I went into it knowing it’s a gamble.
Some have lost a lot and some have made some money. But for a first time investor with limited funds to invest I say stay far away from crypto


Of course, there are many people who lost money because they didn't invest smartly. Just like people lose from stocks.
My husband works with high profile clients who have invested large sums recently and tripled their profits in a number of months.
Countries are using cryptos as their currencies. America is approving the use of Bitcoin. China is creating a digital yuan.
This is the technology of the future. All finances will be on crypto within the next 5-10 years.
If you haven't gotten in before now, this is the time to start paying attention.
Back to top

amother




Periwinkle
 

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:39 am
Following along. Thanks
Back to top

amother




Valerian
 

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:29 am
Try researching crypto currency- it's really the currency of the future..

The US and other governments are actually trying to regulate it that's how serious it is...

We've invested and seen great results
Back to top

amother




Lightpink
 

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:49 am
Because inflation is now high and getting higher, it's advised to pick investments that will be a hedge against inflation. What kind of stocks or other investments do well during periods of high inflation?
Back to top

amother




Lightpink
 

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:50 am
bruriyah wrote:
Agree, it’s not fully passive. It’s a lot of work upfront and then usually just maintenance. But it is a fairly reliable form of investment.


It also depends on location. In NYC for instance, if tenants don't pay it could take 6 months or more to evict them, and that was before covid.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What is a normal monthly food bill
by amother
25 Today at 3:30 pm View last post
What are insurance options for children not on jerserycare?
by amother
5 Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:23 pm View last post
What are the options?
by amother
2 Thu, Nov 04 2021, 2:31 pm View last post
Tampa School Options for Girls Elementary & High School
by amother
0 Fri, Oct 29 2021, 3:22 pm View last post
How much do you pay for your car lease monthly
by amother
37 Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:50 pm View last post